collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going to Japan  (Read 1091 times)

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Japan
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 08:53:37 PM »
I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I feel I am too fat to go Japan. I hear they aren't fat friendly. I hate myself for being overweight. I wouldn't want to be made a spectacle of.

This is what worries me the most about going to China. I am fat by American standards, and I will actually be living and working there, so its not like i'm just visiting for a week and then comming home. I'm guessing the same would hold true for Japan. I seen a post somewhere, rocketnews Japan I think? of a group of "fat" singers who they were calling marshmellow girls. Seriously they were like a size 5!
I'm a 24 :cry:

I'm a bit pudgy myself- I'm a US size 8/10 which although not really considered 'fat' here is definitely going to be more than chubby by Japanese standards. But, I'm adorable, and I'm going with my boyfriend and his family (they're 100% Japanese), so I'm not as worried about being accepted. People there mostly just care that you're polite- they'll never ridicule you to your face, so unless you're worrying about the internal monologues people have (come on, we all judge others in our head, too), you have nothing to worry about.

The Japanese have weird perceptions of people from other countries because it IS a closed off, xenophobic culture. It doesn't mean that they're right, or that they even think they're right. The thing I've seen with Japanese people is once you give them a good reason to correct their stereotype, they're very open to being more tolerant.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline melon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I feel I am too fat to go Japan. I hear they aren't fat friendly. I hate myself for being overweight. I wouldn't want to be made a spectacle of.

This is what worries me the most about going to China. I am fat by American standards, and I will actually be living and working there, so its not like i'm just visiting for a week and then comming home. I'm guessing the same would hold true for Japan. I seen a post somewhere, rocketnews Japan I think? of a group of "fat" singers who they were calling marshmellow girls. Seriously they were like a size 5!

I'm a US 16/18 and I managed to buy clothes from Smile Land at Parco located at Shibuya. I bought two pairs of jeggings labelled 3 or 4L and I heard they have sizes up to 10L. Uniqlo at Ginza has extended sizes for women up to 3XL, I believe.

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2015, 10:12:10 PM »
:O Melon, I just wanna say I LOVE your avatar!!! Hami Melon Hello Kitty! x3 im sure those are only sold in Japan.....I need it in me life!

Still jeally of everyone going to Japan!!!! If anyone is going to the beaches there I want a japanese seashell please! xD

Also ya'l lshouldnt worry about being too large to go to Japan! My grandma went there....shes not very thin herself and no one starred or pointed fingers at her! She really enjoyed her time there! You guys should too! ^ͺ^ Dont worry what the natives will think because hey, are ypu really going to see them again? With how many peeps live in Japan probably not! Go out and travel, have fun! =D Theres sooooo much fun stuff there and cute things to see that you probably wont be focused on size, theres important shopping and site-seeing to do! Besides, I hear japanese people are very friendly! Im sure no matter what you look like you can meet some cool friends there!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:19:37 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 11:00:56 PM »
The fact you're a foreigner sticks out way more. In very heavy tourist cities like Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka nobody would bat an eye. If you go to more off-the-beaten-path Japan like I did you may get more attention. On my study abroad for my major we had plenty of body types and nobody really cared. The fact we spoke the language (or in my case stuttered out a few sentences but can understand just fine) was far more striking.

Although just a warning for anyone going clothes shopping in Japan; do not be offended if you have to up your clothing size by a lot. Japanese clothes run really small. I'm 108 pounds, short, and wear a small in America, I barely fit mediums in Japan. My mom's a large and she initially thought I didn't translate the saleslady right.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Corona, love your avatar as well! It looks like box art! ^ͺ^

You do bring up a very good point! Asian sizes are a lot different than US and Europe sizes! Im about 120lbs, I wear large (depending on brand) in juniors' sizes and small in ladies, but in asia size I wear XL! I got a school girl cosplay outfit and XL was the size I chose, it fits like a medium. Its not because one is fat, its because they measure their clothes differently and asians  typically have smaller averages for clothing sizes.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »

I feel your pain. I'm a 24 or 26 depending on the maker. Definitely not a thin woman.

I know I shouldn't let my size deter me from traveling. I've been to Montreal in Canada and that's a pretty thin area too. I didn't see any other bigger people, so Japan may be fair game someday.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal