collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Feeling very. . .vindicated ( Stupid car blah blah )  (Read 846 times)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Feeling very. . .vindicated ( Stupid car blah blah )
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:36:03 PM »
So, today, I'm in the hole for another $400 on my car, but I'm actually happy.

After nearly 14mos of issues and the car not registering any codes, the problem was finally found.  Funnily enough, the problem turned out to be something that I have been trying to tell the mechanics that I thought it was.  I was told a year ago they were 60% sure it was the computer, and I said no, it couldn't be.  The car I drive has pretty much an indestructible computer, and is one of the very last things to ever break on them.  If they ever break at all.  A contact on a forum for this model of car swore they were practically NASA quality stuff, and I believe it, given it looks like a big iron brick with some connections in it. 

Now, I had noticed very early on that the car had issues when it was particularly humid ( Florida, hahahahaha ) or we had an especially nasty rain storm.  No mechanic would listen to me, ruled me out on it being a moisture issue/wiring issue, and even my father, a mechanic himself, could not find the issue, but he is a classic car mechanic, he doesn't work on modern cars. . .  Though, I think mine is at least slightly vintage now. . .  She's 12 now.  :D 

Anyways, I never had such a problem before, even though my previous car was the same make and model, and I drove that car for eight years.  She drove like new, despite having nearly 200k miles on her when a nanny with five kids and an oversized SUV slammed into my back end at 35mph.  Which is exactly why I bought another.  One, I'm short and petite, and it's really hard to find a car that fits me as well as this particular car, and comfort too, also, I think they're a gorgeous car, and this one seemed to have landed perfectly in my lap at the right time.  While she was a year older than my first, she had almost 100k less miles, so not exactly fully broken in, she was mostly clean body and interior wise, and she had the performance package and trim, PLUS a sunroof.  It's hard to find these cars not beat on, they're pretty hardy little cars, they take tons of punishment, but I did want a nice car and not a junk pile, and pickings were slim, given my old one was a 2004, and they were last made in 2005 and in very limited numbers, so the newest I was going to get was a 9yo car, unless I wanted to go with the new body style which is totally blah, in my opinion in terms of looks, while being the same car underneath(The KBB also retailed them to be 4k more for the same miles as the older model that I got, with a 3year difference in age ).  I'm vain, what can I say?

I knew I would be repairing some things on it, but she drove pretty well off the lot, had a nice, solid idle, especially for a then 12 year old car.  Two weeks later I thought the transmission was going out on her when she started slamming in and out of gear.  But I soon noticed that when she did that, she was idling extremely high.  It would surge and drop, so the car would take off like it was possessed, then suddenly not go anywhere.   However, the car would magically stop this crap every time the weather turned nice and hot without a lot of moisture.  Rain storm hit?  She'd start acting up again.  Every time, I'd drop the car off at the lot, and the weather would brighten up, and the big fat Florida sun would come out and cook the crap out of her on the asphalt.  Come September she stopped the crap completely, until about 3 weeks ago, after a particularly nasty storm I was driving through to get to work.  She started it immediately during the storm, and continued for some days thereafter until it got dry again.

So, took it in today, and told them to basically humor me.  Pull the car apart, check every connections, and if something looks nasty and corroded, fix it.  I get a call about 4pm.  They found the issue.  Turned out it was all the wiring in the back of the engine bay, and the cam shaft sensor being wired severely stupid.  Someone had pretty much rigged the wiring in back where neither me or my father were really able to get at ( the motor mounts have to be pulled so the engine can swing forward, while removing all the coil packs to get at this particular part of the engine ) and YES, they were corroded, and yes, they looked as if they were being shorted out from water or stupid bumps, and they were all wrapped in cheapo black electrical tape and not proper automotive tape.  They were able to wiggle the wires about and replicate the issues the car was presenting when wet or a bad bump had jostled her about. 

Now, I only need to dump another $300 for some new back tires and another set of performance rotors and pads for the back wheels to match the front, and I'll hopefully be done with this automotive nightmare! 

Well, I guess this means I know a little about cars in all actuality, despite being treated like I know crap because I'm a woman, nevermind I do my own oil, spark plugs, rotors, brake pads, anything to do with lights, etc, etc, etc. . .  I mean, I can't do a gasket job, at least not on a modern engine ( though I'll be tearing apart a Pontiac 350 hopefully this fall to rebuild on my OTHER car that has sadly not been able to be touched since I purchased her, because of the issues with the daily driver ),

Sorry for all the blah blah, I just wanted to get some of that off my chest. 

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
Re: Feeling very. . .vindicated ( Stupid car blah blah )
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:56:39 AM »
Cars can be a joy and a pain, but it's good they were finally able to fix it for you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 04:00:53 PM »
Glad you managed to get it fixed at least!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
Good to hear that you've got it all sorted out.  It's always annoying when your car has a problem that you can't seem to figure out.  And even more annoying when you can't seem to fix it yourself.  Especially when it seems designed to for space-efficiency underhood with little regard for how to remove things or fit in tools so you can.

Out of curiosity, what are you driving?  The mention of a performance package piqued my interest, and the mention of its age. I prefer older cars myself, mid 2000s and earlier. they seem to be far less complicated, especially when it comes to electronics.  Although that doesn't stop problems from happening...

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:47:12 PM »
Good to hear that you've got it all sorted out.  It's always annoying when your car has a problem that you can't seem to figure out.  And even more annoying when you can't seem to fix it yourself.  Especially when it seems designed to for space-efficiency underhood with little regard for how to remove things or fit in tools so you can.

Out of curiosity, what are you driving?  The mention of a performance package piqued my interest, and the mention of its age. I prefer older cars myself, mid 2000s and earlier. they seem to be far less complicated, especially when it comes to electronics.  Although that doesn't stop problems from happening...

I'm driving a 2003 Grand AM GT, with the Ram Air not the ST variant with the dual intake hood, but I'm working on that after I get new tires and rotors and brakes for the back end.  And yes, there really isn't that much garbage on it, not like my mom's torrent( Which has been a nightmare with its electronics ), but not quite as tech-free as my Dad's 2001 Dakota or his 2002 Trans Am, and also more tech than my old Grand AM.  She was the basic model, didn't even have automatic windows, hahaha, but I never had any issues.  At least the electronic problems I've had, are not really the car's fault.  It's because someone went in there and did some very stupid things.  There has been other crap that my father and I have ripped out of her, including the most ridiculous remote start thing, which was initially what we thought the issue was, but it continued to persist, obviously. 

My 76 Firebird, thankfully has no electronics, hahaha, except for an electric choke, bwuahahahaha. 

Offline M!ndy

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
You have every right to feel vindicated! Thank you for posting about it as well :hug:
I'm glad you stuck to your guns and got it sorted in the end.

I had a similar experience a few years ago with one of my project vehicles - a 1975 Datsun 620 ute (truck?). That little beast struggles to do 100km/h but it's virtually indestructible. I was having issues with keeping my battery charged and keeping power to my stereo (vital in my world.. :blush:) etc, so naturally I knew there was something that needed to be seen to. Under the bonnet they're a pretty straight forward 4 cylinder with nothing but necessities for the time. The biggest issue I had was that when I was driving, it would start running really rough and the regulator would start "clicking" (almost like the sounds tappets that desperately need adjusting make) so I switched that out with one from another (unlicensed but running) 620 I have.
It did the trick momentarily, but the same thing started happening again. My Dad is also a mechanic and has a 620 himself as the workshop run-about (we're both pretty obsessed with these little utes lol) and his only suggestion was to replace the alternator - something I really couldn't afford to do when I wasn't even sure that was the issue. So checking it all over again, I noticed the plastic plug into the alternator wasn't as snug as it should be due to the brittle, old plastic deteriorating. The next time my baby started playing up, I pulled over and carefully wiggled the plug while he was idling, and what do you know - fixed! Only temporarily of course but at least I'd found the issue. Do you think my Dad would have a bar of it? No way. Best course of action was still a new alternator >_<
Well, it's my vehicle and MY (lack of) funds.. so I told him I was going to switch out the plug with or without his help just to satisfy myself. If it turned out that I did need a new alternator - so be it - but I had to at least try, you know? So he gave in and actually gave me the clips and connectors I needed from his stash. Though I think he was just humouring me :| The next free weekend I had, I replaced the clip etc with the study new bits! I'm so proud to report that I've had NO issues since, and my little ute is still rocking his original alternator ^.^ Sadly, he's been parked up for a while because now he needs his drum brakes switched out and some structural rust seen to - but that was an issue I knowingly bought him with.
A bit of a disclaimer - I have some recognised mechanical training and plenty of experience servicing (I was a Trades Assistant for a few years) and restoring cars so I do know how to safely work with auto electrics.

Moral of the story: Sometimes we actually do know our cars better than the men "qualified" in automotive diagnostics. Fight to test your own diagnostics (however you can - even if that just means being firm with your chosen mechanics) because even if you're wrong, you'll learn something.

That's just my two cents :blush:
:fox:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:55:58 AM »
Im glad the problem was eventually found <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »
My 76 Firebird

Pictures?  Please?
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
My 76 Firebird

Pictures?  Please?

Ah, trust me when I say she photographs nicer than she is! 

10481697_831579470186473_6116441210146604742_n by TsurukoMaiko, on Flickr
10574445_831579280186492_3211826209860904454_n by TsurukoMaiko, on Flickr

The paint job that is on her is HORRID.  But she's straight as an arrow, only some door dings and what not, and some light cracking to her front bumper that can be filled and sanded pretty easily.  She has NO rust or rot, but for one little tiny hole in the back quarter, so she's an excellent starting point in terms of a resto, and not the sort to require a rotisserie job.  Good soda blast a bashing out a few of those dings, and she'll be ready for paint, but that won't be for awhile.  Mechanically she's pretty ehhhhh, not been too messed with but she's missing a lot of crap and has been rigged in more than a few ways. . .  Engine needs a full rebuild, but I'm torn on whether I'm going to resale the 350 that's in her and try to get a bigger engine for her.  A 428 or 455 pontiac engine are my dreams. . . *.*  But then I'd need to tear out the transmission and put in a manual, because why have that sort of power and be driving an automatic?  She also needs pins and ball joints, a full new exhaust system, and then she's kind of a mess interior wise.  She's passable inside but for her center console, but up close it's really kind of meh. 

In other words, she's my big stupid money sink, not that I've yet to be able to do much on her.  I was hoping to snag a better job this summer so I could put away some major cash, but that doesn't look to be happening, so unless I can get my dolly business running again, I won't be seeing the $3k I need to get her into the sort of running condition I want.  That's all mechanical plus plate and registration. 

Offline Rainbow Dash

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:30:53 PM »
Horrid?  As if!  She's gorgeous!  You never see these in green (believe me, I go to enough car shows!).  They're almost all red or black.  There's a little more color variety on the '77-'81s (I've even been fortunate enough to see a Skybird).  The Screamin' Chicken looks great too.  And do I spy a vinyl top?  Not a common option on 2nd generation Firebirds.  I've seen a few Camaros with the vinyl but never a Firebird (aside from first gen 'Birds).

That piqued my curiosity so I just did an image search for 1976 Firebird and only found one other with a vinyl top (white vinyl over blue).  Speaking of unique color combinations, I have a car with a burgundy vinyl roof over a white body (the '70s and '80s weren't exactly known for having good fashion sense ;) ):

If you're going for an engine swap, 455 all the way. :D  Should be an easy swap too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:34:12 PM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
Horrid?  As if!  She's gorgeous!  You never see these in green (believe me, I go to enough car shows!).  They're almost all red or black.  There's a little more color variety on the '77-'81s (I've even been fortunate enough to see a Skybird).  The Screamin' Chicken looks great too.  And do I spy a vinyl top?  Not a common option on 2nd generation Firebirds.  I've seen a few Camaros with the vinyl but never a Firebird (aside from first gen 'Birds).

That piqued my curiosity so I just did an image search for 1976 Firebird and only found one other with a vinyl top (white vinyl over blue).  Speaking of unique color combinations, I have a car with a burgundy vinyl roof over a white body (the '70s and '80s weren't exactly known for having good fashion sense ;) ):

If you're going for an engine swap, 455 all the way. :D  Should be an easy swap too.

With a Pontiac?  Yeah, engine swaps are an absolute breeze.  Anything through 1965ish or so up to the late 70's is pretty drag and drop.  Though the 305 with the Turbo.  OH GODS NO.  Never, never want that. 

The actual color is Metallilime Green, as if that doesn't say the 1970s, and it is the original color, but not the original paint.  As I said, she looks good from afar, but when you get up close, you can see what a cruddy job it is.  Trust me when I say she's going to either remain that color, or I'm going to have a little bit more silver tossed in.  Vinyl top DOES look good on it, and helps to break up all that GREEN, but unfortunately, they're a major rust trap, so when she gets repainted, I'll be deleting that and getting it all sanded away.  But there is way more pressing things to be done before she gets paint.  I was actually joking around that I was going to keep her as a total sleeper for a few years, just to troll all the kiddos with their Hondas, Nissans, Acuras, etc, you know the type. . .  ;)  About the only thing that will give her away will be the dual tipped exhaust I have planned for her.  Mmm.  And all the noise, of course, but kids hardly know what a REAL car sounds like. 

I spent 10 years saving for a bird, I just looove these girls and it's kind of a family tradition.  A 76 was absolutely perfect for me, though, because I remember before I got my first car ( a 2004 Grand Am, who I put 8 years and 150k miles on and loved to death ), someone had a 76 Firebird for sale, 65k on the odo, perfect, beautiful, silver and for $5k, I begged dad to help me on it, but he said no because it had the Oldsmobile engine and not the Pontiac one!  Hahaha!  Mom had a 73, Dad had a 69 and still has a 2002 Trans AM WS6 with only 40k on the odo. . .  At the same time, I know I still need a 67, 1967 Firebird is my absolute favorite, and I also have a great adoration for the 1973 Grand Am's. 

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »
I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. My uncle basically rebuilt her. (I am NOT a sedan lady, I love my hatchbacks and station wagons, I sold off my 2000 Hyundai Elantra wagon for the sedan, sadly. I regret that decision.)  I've had this car about 2-3 years. And it does well. But, apparently, I'm a very hard driver and I somehow broke all 4 engine mounts (2 are replaced now though). My car now shakes worse than a old washing machine. ;D

I'm so glad they were able to fix the problem! It's just horrid that they didn't take you seriously.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:16 PM »
I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata. My uncle basically rebuilt her. (I am NOT a sedan lady, I love my hatchbacks and station wagons, I sold off my 2000 Hyundai Elantra wagon for the sedan, sadly. I regret that decision.)  I've had this car about 2-3 years. And it does well. But, apparently, I'm a very hard driver and I somehow broke all 4 engine mounts (2 are replaced now though). My car now shakes worse than a old washing machine. ;D

I'm so glad they were able to fix the problem! It's just horrid that they didn't take you seriously.

O_O

You know, that sounds more like a problem with the car and not you.  That's pretty scary, I've never even blown through one motor mount, and I probably have over 300,000 miles under my belt or more from my antique travels and general traveling back and forth from Wisconsin to Florida.  Though, one question, do you release the brake pedal when just before you go over speed bumps?  It sounds ridiculous, but it reduces a lot of wear on a car, especially on your brake pads and rotors, but possibly could reduce the stress on the rest of the car?  Though you may want to check out your shocks and suspension too, that's just crazy, four motor mounts?  Ouch.  The road I live on is absolutely terrible, and I cringe every time I have to go over a pot hole ( no choice, as the traffic is pretty heavy, but if it isn't, I can least drive in the middle of the road at the particularly rough stretches ). . .  I've had a leaky axle or two on my first grand am, but the current one has been good so far. . .  Knock on wood. 

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 03:27:36 AM »

O_O

You know, that sounds more like a problem with the car and not you.  That's pretty scary, I've never even blown through one motor mount, and I probably have over 300,000 miles under my belt or more from my antique travels and general traveling back and forth from Wisconsin to Florida.  Though, one question, do you release the brake pedal when just before you go over speed bumps?  It sounds ridiculous, but it reduces a lot of wear on a car, especially on your brake pads and rotors, but possibly could reduce the stress on the rest of the car?  Though you may want to check out your shocks and suspension too, that's just crazy, four motor mounts?  Ouch.  The road I live on is absolutely terrible, and I cringe every time I have to go over a pot hole ( no choice, as the traffic is pretty heavy, but if it isn't, I can least drive in the middle of the road at the particularly rough stretches ). . .  I've had a leaky axle or two on my first grand am, but the current one has been good so far. . .  Knock on wood.
Come to think of it, I don't think I do release the brakes. My brakes need replacing too. (They've needed that for a while though.)  My uncle swears that this car was his baby, but we keep having to spend money to fix something-or-other.  -.-  I'm waiting for my sister to get a new car and then I'll be getting her 2008 Nissan Sentra. Still not a station wagon/hatchback, but it's given her very little problems. 
This car passes inspection just fine, though. That is something my wagon never did. My last inspection for the Sonata cost me $76. My last inspection for my wagon cost over a grand.

I have trouble seeing potholes until I basically drive over them. But, once I Know they're there, I try to avoid them as well.

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Rainbow Dash

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »
With a Pontiac?  Yeah, engine swaps are an absolute breeze.  Anything through 1965ish or so up to the late 70's is pretty drag and drop.  Though the 305 with the Turbo.  OH GODS NO.  Never, never want that. 

The actual color is Metallilime Green, as if that doesn't say the 1970s, and it is the original color, but not the original paint.  As I said, she looks good from afar, but when you get up close, you can see what a cruddy job it is.  Trust me when I say she's going to either remain that color, or I'm going to have a little bit more silver tossed in.  Vinyl top DOES look good on it, and helps to break up all that GREEN, but unfortunately, they're a major rust trap, so when she gets repainted, I'll be deleting that and getting it all sanded away.  But there is way more pressing things to be done before she gets paint.  I was actually joking around that I was going to keep her as a total sleeper for a few years, just to troll all the kiddos with their Hondas, Nissans, Acuras, etc, you know the type. . .  ;)  About the only thing that will give her away will be the dual tipped exhaust I have planned for her.  Mmm.  And all the noise, of course, but kids hardly know what a REAL car sounds like. 

I spent 10 years saving for a bird, I just looove these girls and it's kind of a family tradition.  A 76 was absolutely perfect for me, though, because I remember before I got my first car ( a 2004 Grand Am, who I put 8 years and 150k miles on and loved to death ), someone had a 76 Firebird for sale, 65k on the odo, perfect, beautiful, silver and for $5k, I begged dad to help me on it, but he said no because it had the Oldsmobile engine and not the Pontiac one!  Hahaha!  Mom had a 73, Dad had a 69 and still has a 2002 Trans AM WS6 with only 40k on the odo. . .  At the same time, I know I still need a 67, 1967 Firebird is my absolute favorite, and I also have a great adoration for the 1973 Grand Am's.
Yeah, the 305 is good only if you're in need of a boat anchor.  Or even worse, the 301...

Vinyl tops are known for causing rust issues and I cringe whenever I think about what may be hiding under mine, especially since the car sat for a few years.  And oh yes, I know exactly what you mean about the kids in the import tuners.  There's a Miata across the street from me.  Either wrapped or rattlecanned a flat shade of turquoise, 'fartcan' exhaust, and cambered to the extreme.  I got stuck behind him in traffic yesterday.  He drives like a moron and the car's slow to boot.  It's lowered so he probably took the shortcut and just cut the springs.

Someone in your family just needs to acquire a 3rd gen 'Bird to complete the set. ;)  The '70s Grand Ams are beautiful...and exceedingly rare these days.  I've only seen one.  I'll have to post some of my car show pics for you.  I'll have to dig through for the Pontiacs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal