collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone seen the new Jem & The Holograms movie trailer?  (Read 12294 times)

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
Anyone seen the new Jem & The Holograms movie trailer?
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks it's so bad that it's truly outrageous  :huh: The official movie trailer is up on Youtube and the amount of dislikes that video has in such a short time is baffling. I've been looking forward to the movie ever since it was announced that they'll be doing a remake, but it pays no homage to the original cartoon at all! Seems like it's geared towards the tweens/pre-teens of today. What are your thoughts on it? Love it or nahhhh?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:01:43 PM by Tigerlilyx »

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen the new Jem & The Holograms movie trailer?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:04:40 PM »
even if I was born in 94 when I was about 14 I found out about Jem and LOVED it.
I'm not even halfway done and I can tell this isn't going to be good....Jerrica being 14-ish and living with her aunt? no thanks. really glad this is confirmed not canon.

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
We're not that far apart Jordan, I was born in '93 and I love all things eighties including Jem! I didn't grow up with the cartoon yet I feel so repulsed by it.

We all know its not gonna be good the minute they used a One Direction song for the trailer. :p

even if I was born in 94 when I was about 14 I found out about Jem and LOVED it.
I'm not even halfway done and I can tell this isn't going to be good....Jerrica being 14-ish and living with her aunt? no thanks. really glad this is confirmed not canon.

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »
We're not that far apart Jordan, I was born in '93 and I love all things eighties including Jem! I didn't grow up with the cartoon yet I feel so repulsed by it.

We all know its not gonna be good the minute they used a One Direction song for the trailer. :p

I actually kinda like 1D  :blush:
but just....they did exactly what I was afraid of and hollywood-ize it and make it....bad?
the orignial had some really deep charater development, breakdowns, confidence boosts, but they could have made this any charaters and gotten away with it, seems more like they slapped Jem's name on it to make the money trickle in  -_-

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:24:20 PM »
It's cool, their songs are not bad and zayn's a hottie (farewell 1D!). But the minute they used their song you'll immediately know who the movie's target market is!!

I totally agree. I'm also pretty fed up with the whole generic "small town girl makes it big" script.

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
 :blink: Wow, that does not look good.  I'm new to Jem and I've only watched up to episode 17, but I can tell that it just doesn't have the same energy or charm as the cartoon.  Also, not enough 80's style and no Misfits!  >_<

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 10:16:45 PM »
I love the original Jem but this looks terrible. Jerrica in the cartoon was an adult taking care of the Starlight Girls and Starlight music. She wasn't a young teenager. It looks like they've taken out Synergy completely also.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen the new Jem &amp; The Holograms movie trailer?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 10:36:58 PM »
It doesn't look that bad but if what I heard about the Misfits not being in it is true then that kills it. What made Jem Jem imho was the rivalry between the bands. If they kept that it would have elevated this above a Hannah Montana wannabe.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »
I'm a bit done with all those life-action things and all. Why not stick to the cartoon version. :C

Offline Archer

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 02:13:59 AM »
I think it looks rubbish. Really, really bad. There's nothing to the original cartoon other than the name and the pink eye makeup. It could have been something really good, but instead it just looks like a million other movies about some small town teenager becoming a massive star. The only difference is they've stolen a brand name to try and elevate it above other movies just like it.

And TBF, the choice of 1D song isn't bad. Story of my Life is one of their better songs lol :)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:35:50 AM »
Ugh... This is so disappointing. If you take out all the key things that made Jem Jem, what is the point of making a Jem movie? The 1980s Jem cartoon was / is very special to me. I only got to see it one month of the year for the few years my grandparents took me with them to Florida. It did not air where I live. It's probably the retro cartoon I'm the most fiercely protective of because of that.

I was very interested in this movie when I first heard about it. I am equal parts baffled, disgusted and enraged at what it has turned out to be. So much wasted potential!

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

freyjaloh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 04:48:45 AM »
So upset!!!!!!!! They RUIN it

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 04:54:30 AM »
Ugh... This is so disappointing. If you take out all the key things that made Jem Jem, what is the point of making a Jem movie?
these were my thoughts exactly. I am not too familiar with Jem and most of my knowledge comes either from other people I know and who like it, or from reading after things I know they mentioned. I have just seen the trailer today, and it is even obvious to me that this movie has little to do with the original series. the whole thing seems to be so different that I simply don't understand why the movie shares the title with the cartoon :blink:

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 05:52:21 AM »
It looks awful.

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 06:45:16 AM »
Never saw the original Jem cartoon, and was kinda curious about the live action movie. But it sounds like the movie isn't going to be good, so... maybe I ought to find the cartoon on DVD and watch that instead? I'm kinda getting into the idea of watching 80s cartoons  (I have been doing a marathon of watching the original 80s Transformers series in recent weeks).

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal