collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: bjd owners be careful posting older dolls  (Read 6119 times)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: bjd owners be careful posting older dolls
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »
ok. there is something i don't understand.
i've mostly stayed in the obitsu or azone realms of this world (which aren't usually recognized by 99% of bjd owners, but tech they do have joints) anyway, i don't get what a recast is and why it's frowned upon.
i've see some places like junky doll post that a doll was recast or a second casting, why is it a problem?

personally i avoid any dolls made of resin, but that's just me. i think they are beautiful, but something about the material just creeps me out.

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
A recast BJD is a bootleg copy...The recasters bought a legit doll, made a mold from it, and they cast copies and sell them for cheaper. 

It's a huge, heated debate, lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 03:24:37 PM »
oh! kinda like people who make recast of ponies etc?

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
ok. there is something i don't understand.
i've mostly stayed in the obitsu or azone realms of this world (which aren't usually recognized by 99% of bjd owners, but tech they do have joints) anyway, i don't get what a recast is and why it's frowned upon.
i've see some places like junky doll post that a doll was recast or a second casting, why is it a problem?

personally i avoid any dolls made of resin, but that's just me. i think they are beautiful, but something about the material just creeps me out.

When Junky Spot says something like that they mean like a second or more run of a certain sculpt/doll I think. I have seen them post something like that when they first released the Hujoo Freya.

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
oh! kinda like people who make recast of ponies etc?
Same process, yeah - I know there are LOTS of customizing geniuses out there who use Hasbro ponies to make their own molds, and then cast new ponies for their pieces. 

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline suppi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chibi-suppi.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 10:14:20 PM »
Oh god I'm pretty anti-recast and this angers me. Then again I'm anti as in, if I host a meet please don't bring it to that meet, that's it. I won't be a jerk to recast owners because fighting hate with hate is just silly. Just like going on this witch hunt was silly. :/ My Volks all have different headplates because they're from different eras. I wonder what they would have thought about that! Not to mention the entire fiasco could have been handled a million times better if they hadn't pushed the girl in question into a panic attack then gotten more aggressive when she couldn't function!

Sorry little rant there. :x I try to stay out of the recast debate unless it's with personal friends or when my opinion is asked. I find recasts to be like religion and politics, you just don't bring them up in polite conversation.

My Flickr :3 Thanks YLH for my Avvie and Sugarcup for my siggy!

Offline klein

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 11:19:10 PM »
 I hope it doesn't get to a point where we are like expected to bring provenence/paperwork with us to all doll meets for each doll. Some companies didn't even start using them until very recently.

I find recasts to be like religion and politics, you just don't bring them up in polite conversation.
This x 1000! It's just such a polarizing issue that many people are incredibly passionate about that I will normally avoid discussing, I'm somewhat agnostic on the subject ( ideally they shouldn't exist but this isn't an ideal world, I won't judge people solely on if they own recasts or not).

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 12:00:59 AM »
I figure as far as recasts, to each their own. If they're not welcome, I don't bring them. Could you imagine having to have your doll's papers checked at the door before you could come in?

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 12:07:26 AM »
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. 

What a mess. 

I don't own any BJD, but I'm largely against recasts because I do have friends and acquaintances who do mold work and make their own dolls, and I know what recasts pose to them . .  That said; even if the dolls were recasts, I would never think to treat anyone remotely as this person was treated.  Even if they were recasts.  Clearly the people in charge have never in the least worked a job dealing with customer service or any sort of hospitality.  I'm aghast, really, for them bringing security guards in and giving the poor thing a massive panic attack for a bunch of plastic.  You never, ever make a scene or do anything to would cause people to feel unwelcomed unless they're doing some terribly wrong or causing others to feel uncomfortable.  This wasn't the case.  Politely asking to speak with her to discuss the legit-ness of the dolls should've been the start, and when they couldn't reach a consensus, they should've asked her simply to put them away while they discussed the possibilities discreetly while the person was allowed to enjoy the show, and not be drug off by security like some sort of criminal! 

I mean, the things going on in the world right now, holy hell can we talk about a massive over reaction. . .  I've seen some others say this sort of antics are why some people don't get into BJD, and I feel much the same.  My roommate does want to purchase a Machina from Batchix, but we know her and talk to her, so that would be the only exception we might make.  There's just so many things and details and different stamps, and marks, and then knock offs and what not, and man, I say this as a person who studies dolls from the 1840's to the 1960's, and yet, I find Japanese/Asian BJDs to be way too scary to each touch with a 10ft pole. . .  120years of dollies versus, what, 15-20years?  Scary! 

But Vertafae, that sounds totally ridiculous.  I mean, we ladies at the doll shows might squabble over the originality of a dress or a hand tag, or if the doll may have been restored, but I certainly have never been kicked out for bringing in the odd ball dolls I seem to find constantly, nor does anyone get kicked out for such matters.  If you're buying, it's basically buyer beware, and it's up the buyer to have an idea of what they're buying, as many dealers in the circles and eras I frequent can be extremely deceptive and be just as bad as used car salesmen.  I'm very young for an antique doll collector ( 27 ) and I can't tell you how many other dealers try to pull the wool over my eyes, or lie and cheat, or get downright crazy offended when you point out that they're not being factually correct or are even remotely suggesting something they swear is original, isn't.  So it's almost a reverse problem in the circles I frequent from the BJD circles. . . 

Offline suppi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chibi-suppi.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 12:21:49 AM »
I figure as far as recasts, to each their own. If they're not welcome, I don't bring them. Could you imagine having to have your doll's papers checked at the door before you could come in?

I own nothing but legits but would be screwed royally if it came to that. :/ It's not helping the pro-artist side at all either. I don't have the papers for my Volks Saki, I got her off of Mandarake! My white centaur butt or MNF Risse? Yeah nothing for those either but they are legit. It's just... It's getting out of control.

And Klein I'm with you there. We have lots of wonderful people here in the arena who own recasts and I don't think less of them as a person. And MiRaja the BJD hobby is vicious when people talk behind an anonymous. It's beyond awful how nasty people get. Like "Oh so they made  a sock dress, pfth noob." Or "That face-up looks like it's drawn on with crayons!" But if you own to pretty of a doll that's from a high end company, "I bet she's a snobby b!tch!" Its never ending.

My Flickr :3 Thanks YLH for my Avvie and Sugarcup for my siggy!

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 12:28:51 AM »
I would too Suppi! My legits are all pre-certificates or were bought second or even third hand.

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 12:54:31 AM »

And Klein I'm with you there. We have lots of wonderful people here in the arena who own recasts and I don't think less of them as a person. And MiRaja the BJD hobby is vicious when people talk behind an anonymous. It's beyond awful how nasty people get. Like "Oh so they made  a sock dress, pfth noob." Or "That face-up looks like it's drawn on with crayons!" But if you own to pretty of a doll that's from a high end company, "I bet she's a snobby b!tch!" Its never ending.

Agreed; people think just because they post as anonymous, manners and decency go out the window!  :shrug: Tumblr (along with certain threads on DOA) has become such a cest-pool of slandering and hate that I give up trying to post anything on either site anymore.  So glad everyone here can have a civil conversation about the things we love.  Funny enough, I've also owned a recast before but the only place I was able to share her with other doll people was at a local meet-up.  We only had a few people attend and they were all recast friendly (or they didn't oppose it at face value).

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »
I wish the recent thread about recasts hadn't gotten deleted... there were some great points of view and information represented in it!  And I didn't save my response elsewhere so it would be a huge pain to re-think it out and re-type it.  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 07:50:10 AM »
I'm hoping this thread can stay away from the ethical questions of recasting. Especially with the insane witch hunts going on that legit dolls are being caught up in. :(

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »
I also would be hard pressed to always have CoAs for my dolls if I was just showing them off - my boxes are all packed away tightly and there's no way I'd want to dig the cards out all the time. Plus I have at least 2 that didn't come with them. And honestly I'd never ever have thought I'd need them at a meet if I wasn't planning on selling the doll. Granted I've never been to a larger meet/convention, but the thought never would have crossed my mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal