collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Getting Started with Customs...  (Read 513 times)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Getting Started with Customs...
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »
Hi there!

I've gone into the sticky thread with tutorials and looked a few things over, but I am hoping that I can potentially get a few thoughts from people before I get started doing anything major.

If my guess is right, it seems the most logical way to get started with any of this is to learn how to rehair first. My reasoning for thinking this is that if you want to paint a pony you need its hair gone and then have to be able to put it back / add what color(s) you actually want. (True / False?)

What I am looking to find out from all of you, then, is which method of rehairing is the easiest to understand and master? I'm still not 100% sure I *can* do this or not--my vision is not the best and I have limited use of my right hand. (I don't have full control of my middle, ring or baby finger.) . But I'm certainly not going to rule out giving this a try without gathering some information and (hopefully) actually giving this a go.

I'd also love to know where to buy whichever tool(s) I will need for the method being advised.I am aware of and have looked at dollyhair.com ... So many pretty hair colors to choose from. I just sat there and scrolled in awe. Wow! And I know I need glue (I believe it's Fabri-tac or something?) to seal inside once the actual rehair is finished and then to wait 24 hours before any form of styling.

I'm also assuming that I need to pick my bait / guinea pig / etc. with care. Any thoughts or suggestions there?

In short, I'm trying to figure out whether / which method of rehairing I should give a go? My bf seems to think I'm going to end up with a big mess and a bald pony. :blush: :lol: But I'd rather say I tried then have to admit I gave up before I started, y'know? Thanks for your time. :)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started with Customs...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
I think as far as rehairing the lock and loop method is really simple and not very much. all you need is a long thin needle, thread (and if you get the hang of it maybe some simple dental floss) a push pin and either hemostats or needle nose pliers.
(tip: if you actually do use this. get some kind of washcloth and rap it around your finger before pulling the hair though! you'll save yourself the trouble of sore fingers :blush:)

if you're kinda questioning if you want to but don't want to spend a ton of money to try I'd suggest getting a fakie and going to your local dollar store and try to find one of those kids make believe wigs. like this:

it's how I did my first rehairing with a fakie. best of luck to you! :frolic:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:19:48 PM by Jordan »

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »
Ooo, rehairing can be quite satisfying once you find a method that works for you  :)

I started out using the "tie a knot in the middle of the hair and pull it through the hole with a pre-threaded string/dental floss" method.  Not sure if it has a name?
The nice things about this method are that it is super secure, doesn't need glue, and doesn't require special tools (except maybe pliers, I used them but your mileage may vary).
The downsides are that it takes a lot of time, and I personally had trouble with it ruining paint on the pony around the hair plugs.  Not sure if that is normal or just me   :lookround:

Now I've moved on to using a special tool, I think people call them rerooting tools.  However, it isn't really all that special.  It is just an Xacto handle with a sewing needle with the eye cut open stuck in it.  I think lots of people use tools like this. 
The nice things about this method are that it is faster and I feel like it is less fiddly.
The downsides are that you have to use glue to secure the hair, and make/buy a tool.  I had all the parts to make the tool already sitting around, though, maybe you do too   :)

With you having hand troubles, I'm not really sure which would be better   :huh:  I'd kinda lean toward the second, because tying all those knots for the first could be really difficult.

I'm sure a more experienced rehairer will appear and help you soon too!
Best wishes for your rehairing adventures.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Peloria

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »
I found YouTube really helpful when I started to customize toys. I use a reroot tool, I find the needles supplied by DollyHair are much more durable than my homemade ones, but handmade tools can be just as good if you learn how to handle them. I use fabric-tac to secure the hair, no fallouts yet!

Just dive in! That's my advice, scour the classified and WTS threads for a nice baity pony and if you screw up, don't worry there's always acetone ;D lmk if you have any specific questions, always glad to help~~

CeciliaB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »
Hi there!

I use different method than other two so I'll share it with you to give you more trouble to choose the one for you  :biggrin: Anyway, I've done quite a lot of rehairing and I've newer used any other method but pulling the hair plugs through the holes with thin wire. 'Cause I haven't tried anything else I don't know if it is slow compared to other methods but it's cheap and simple. What you need is a bald pony, some hair, a pin, thin wire and pliers.

Here's how its done (I thought a picture would tell you more than thousand words):

Hope this was helpful in some way or another  :) And have fun with rehairing!

Btw, you don't really need but your thumb and forefinger  to do this so I think your hand won't be a problem.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 04:41:26 AM »
People have already told about all the methods I know of, so I'll just recommend trying them all. What method is good for one person is not always good rehairing method for other. Oh, and do try rehairing with a fakie and some cheap hair first to know if you like it or not! That way it's not that bad if you end up with just a bald pony :D

Good luck and please let us know how it goes, we are (at least I am) curious! :lovey:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »
I would suggest the reroot tool method.
if you're kinda questioning if you want to but don't want to spend a ton of money to try I'd suggest getting a fakie and going to your local dollar store and try to find one of those kids make believe wigs. like this:

it's how I did my first rehairing with a fakie. best of luck to you! :frolic:
That's how I did my first rehair too.  Got those same wigs and some of the dollar store fakies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal