collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sci-fi/Fantasy book recommendations?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
Re: Sci-fi/Fantasy book recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
OP rereads Bradbury and none of you mention Asimov? SHAME.

I'm assuming you've read 451, so I, Robot should be your next read if you loved The Martian Chronicles. It's a similar collection of related short stories. After that you might like The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Nemesis. Starship Troopers and Ender's Game are classic sci-fi recs, and if you want something with a bit more of a contemporary feel, Snow Crash and Ready Player One are the way to go.

These are all fairly easy reads, as well as standalone novels. (Well, not Ender's Game, but you don't have to read the TWO series and miscellaneous cash-cow novels it spawned...)

Oh OH and if you like A.I., go get yourself a Bolo book. You will not regret it. 

As for that Mercedes Lackey itch, Anne McCaffrey is the way to go, but I recommend her Talent, Crystal Singer, and Brainship books, not the dragon stuff.

For fantasy go get all of Robin McKinley's books. Yes, all. She hasn't written a dud yet, although sometimes they aren't...comfortable. But start with The Hero And The Crown, then The Blue Sword, then Sunshine, both Beauty And The Beast retellings, and DragonHaven. Chalice is a little rough to get into, and Deerskin is rough, period. But they are all fantastic.

EDIT: You might note that several of these books have been made into movies. Do not watch the movies. Read the books. In most cases, the only thing the book and the movie have in common is the title.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:53:51 PM by Jadis4742 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »
Anne Bishops Black Jewel trilogy is one of my favoritebooks ever! It's about three different dimensions of the same world. In some dimensions they know about the others, in one they don't. It's a rather complex story so it's hard to tell what it is about. But the main thing is; the story is written from a number of characters point of views, except the main character. It is a bit different but such a cool idea to learn about her from everybody else. If you can look past some of the names, because they're so obviously riddicoulus, it's a really nice story.

I also recommend Robin Hobbs Farseer books and Liveshiptraders as well as George RR Martins A song of ice and fire. :) Those are my top 3.

ponygirl74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
OP rereads Bradbury and none of you mention Asimov? SHAME.

I'm assuming you've read 451, so I, Robot should be your next read if you loved The Martian Chronicles. It's a similar collection of related short stories. After that you might like The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Nemesis. Starship Troopers and Ender's Game are classic sci-fi recs, and if you want something with a bit more of a contemporary feel, Snow Crash and Ready Player One are the way to go.

These are all fairly easy reads, as well as standalone novels. (Well, not Ender's Game, but you don't have to read the TWO series and miscellaneous cash-cow novels it spawned...)

Oh OH and if you like A.I., go get yourself a Bolo book. You will not regret it. 

As for that Mercedes Lackey itch, Anne McCaffrey is the way to go, but I recommend her Talent, Crystal Singer, and Brainship books, not the dragon stuff.

For fantasy go get all of Robin McKinley's books. Yes, all. She hasn't written a dud yet, although sometimes they aren't...comfortable. But start with The Hero And The Crown, then The Blue Sword, then Sunshine, both Beauty And The Beast retellings, and DragonHaven. Chalice is a little rough to get into, and Deerskin is rough, period. But they are all fantastic.

EDIT: You might note that several of these books have been made into movies. Do not watch the movies. Read the books. In most cases, the only thing the book and the movie have in common is the title.
What didn't you like about the Pern Series? I did read some of the Crystal Signer books and her non sifi book on A Man, his daughter and a horse breeding operation in Ireland - just can't remember  the books name, She also wrote some books on a Unicorn girl that my sister loved.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 02:38:35 AM »
I'm wondering do '1984' (George Orwell) and 'A Brave New World' (Aldous Huxley) count as Sci Fi? If you are a serious thinker then both these books will inspire you, but they are also potentially quite disturbing.  I think they are good books to read if you are interested in the course of history. 1984 in particular is very often quoted, or rather an 'Orwellian' vision of the future etc.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 02:48:32 AM »
I don't read a lot of Sci-Fi but I devour fantasy novels, if you're looking some thoroughly enjoyable fantasy novels I recommend the Chronicles of the Cheysuli or the Sword Dancer novels by Jennifer Roberson. Personally I love the Cheysuli ones more but both are good and got me falling in love with the characters.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 03:00:19 AM »
Anne Bishops Black Jewel trilogy is one of my favoritebooks ever! It's about three different dimensions of the same world. In some dimensions they know about the others, in one they don't. It's a rather complex story so it's hard to tell what it is about. But the main thing is; the story is written from a number of characters point of views, except the main character. It is a bit different but such a cool idea to learn about her from everybody else. If you can look past some of the names, because they're so obviously riddicoulus, it's a really nice story.

I also recommend Robin Hobbs Farseer books and Liveshiptraders as well as George RR Martins A song of ice and fire. :) Those are my top 3.

I've loved the Black jewel trilogy (and the prequel/sequels), one of my favorite universe.
I'd also recommend, Jacqueline Carey's trilogy Kushiel, very sensual and N.K. Jemisin "the one hundred thousand kingdom" (who was clearly inspired by Anne Bishop's Dark Jewel main male protagonist) if you like strong female characters.

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 05:09:05 AM »
Glad to see someone mention ASOIF (GRR Martin) cause yeah, they are beyond a doubt some of the best books I've ever read. 

Here's a couple more I didn't see mentioned:
The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson
The Ocean at the End of the Lane; Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
The Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen); Shade's Children - Garth Nix
Clay's Ark - Octavia Butler
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
The Kingkiller Chronicles (only 2 books out so far) - Patrick Rothfuss
Crown of Stars series - Kate Elliot - the first couple books in this series are awesome, unfortunately everything gets a bit convoluted after that but still worth a read
Firebringer Trilogy - Meridith Ann Pierce (especially great if you like unicorns!)
The Golem & the Jinni - Helene Wecker
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley

Also, I didn't particularly care for the first book, but I know a lot of people like the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

And if you are at all interested in graphic novels, I highly recommend the Fables series by Bill Willingham.  It's amazing.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 06:01:29 AM »
Glad to see someone mention ASOIF (GRR Martin) cause yeah, they are beyond a doubt some of the best books I've ever read. 

Here's a couple more I didn't see mentioned:
The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson
The Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen); Shade's Children - Garth Nix
Clay's Ark - Octavia Butler
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
The Kingkiller Chronicles (only 2 books out so far) - Patrick Rothfuss
Crown of Stars series - Kate Elliot - the first couple books in this series are awesome, unfortunately everything gets a bit convoluted after that but still worth a read
Firebringer Trilogy - Meridith Ann Pierce (especially great if you like unicorns!)
The Golem & the Jinni - Helene Wecker
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley

Also, I didn't particularly care for the first book, but I know a lot of people like the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

And if you are at all interested in graphic novels, I highly recommend the Fables series by Bill Willingham.  It's amazing.

I watched the film of Never Let Me Go with an ex who found it so upsetting he didn't speak to me for a week! It's good though, but desperately upsetting for some people, me included  :cry:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 06:18:03 AM »
I watched the film of Never Let Me Go with an ex who found it so upsetting he didn't speak to me for a week! It's good though, but desperately upsetting for some people, me included  :cry:

The movie adaptation was brilliant.  And yes, horribly upsetting.  But it's got a nice subtle sci fi element :)

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 06:41:28 AM »
I don't read much sci-fi but The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke and The Other Side of the Hedge by E.M. Forster are interesting reads. Also, if you can withstand the utterly abysmal translation, then Metro 2033 is very entertaining (in a rather cracktastic way.)
And if poetry is to your liking, then Gerard Woodward does some good sci-fi-ish stuff in The Seacunny; Life In the House to be Demolished in particular is an absolutely fantastic (and very surreal) poem. :)

Offline pineapplecupcake

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • "She'll become a crazy cat lady!...Give her time"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
Wow, you guys are awesome! Now I have so many options! Yay!!  :frolic: :frolic:
I have read a couple of the suggested - I love the His Dark Materials series, it's awesome. Fun fact: I actually got to meet the author once - this was before they made a movie of the series and he was still writing the trilogy, so he did a local library tour and ended up near me. I have a signed copy of the whole series! :D
Also, I'm a huge Vernor Vinge nerd so definitely have read Fire Upon the Deep (so good!). I'm definitely going to give Nemesis a read since I really loved The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Man this list is just chock full of gold though - so many authors I haven't heard of and stuff I haven't read yet! Now I'm going to lookup everyone's recommendations and put them on hold at the library  :joy:
:heart: Thank you to LyraHeartsrtings, Bekuno (adopts) & sunnyrain (avi) :heart:Pineapple Cupcake reference sheet!:heart:

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »
Ooh, do you have any recommendations for vernor vinge :blush: I've been looking to read some more books by him but I cant decide what to start with. I've been meaning to get the sequel to a fire upon the deep but I was too broke to get it the last time I saw it. That and lately ive been a little less into tactical type sci fi stories and more into stories exploring like, morality, technology, etc... and also sci fis that have weird non humanoid aliens in them, which is why i love a fire upon the deep but when I read the back for the sequel it looked like it has more to do with humans and also about the tines' wars and power struggles etc?? So I've been putting it off lol...

flyawayraven

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »

I love the Black Jewels Trilogy! I do warn anyone who wants to read it that there is some very graphic sexual abuse and mutilation so please be prepared for that.

You did mention Mercedes Lackey and I wonder if you read the Obsidian Trilogy she co-wrote with James Mallory? They are incredibly engaging books and you will become so attached to the characters. I dreaded turning the last page of the third book because I had become so invested in the series! It does have a fairly obvious Lord of the Rings influence but that doesn't take away any of the joy of the series.

One of my favorite authors is Tanith Lee but her books are very hard to come by. If you can get her novels from the Tales From the Flat Earth series, I strongly recommend those. Very dark but very beautiful books.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 02:41:40 PM »
Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy (and optionally Liveship Traders in between). I don't like her other stuff so much, the most recent trilogy was ok but I never did finish it.

Farseer Trilogy blew me away though. I was never so much into fantasy until I read Assassin's Apprentice.

My mother is a big fan of the Pern dragons series, but I never really got on with them...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »

how did I forget Neil Gaiman... yeah, he's really good.  Try "Good Omens" it's about the apocalypse.  It's written by Mr. Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.  Also American Gods by Mr. Gaiman is awesome, but it's kinda adult themed.

~Jenn
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal