collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Discussion...G1 ponies who are Girls....but are in your mind more Boy's!  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
In my childhood herd, Cherries Jubilee was a guy (and a talk show host, as a cover-up for his evil hypnotist shenanigans!) and Sleepy Head as well. In my current herd, Main Sail, Desert Palm, Silver Glow, Windy and miniature Silver Swirl are boys, as their personalities on based on personal characters that they remind me of. My childhood mini-Silver Swirl was a girl but the previous owner of the one I have now said that he was a childhood pony called Max, so I decided to maintain that tradition. Also the name suits him quite well! :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I don't remember who was a boy or a girl, except for that I did always know that Chief was a boy.  However, Boysenberry Pie was a rock star.  I even had Tuneful, but somehow Boysenberry Pie got her brush and took over her role.  That diva!

pandanaris

As a child I had no idea that stallions even existed. I had very feminine ponies in my herd, Curly Locks, Caramel Crunch, Pony Bride, Sundance, Dainty Dahlia etc. So the most masculine ponies were Sweet Tooth and Brilliant Blossoms. Both of course have BLUE color (a boy color!) and Sweet Tooth has in my opinion still masculine features. Sporty look, not that thick hair and strong chin. Sweet Tooth was the stallion number one and had the privilege to enjoy the company of my childhood favorite beauties: Curly Locks, Caramel Crunch and Pony Bride. Brilliant Blossoms was the second best and got the leftovers: Sundance and Dainty Dahlia. :lol:

Now days I kind of feel bad for the ladies because compering to the real pony boys they definitely look like girls. Yes, some has more masculine features but that is what makes them unique and personal looking. Pretty girls!

Daddy Berrytown, Meadowsweet and Sunbright has very feminine looks in my opinion. But it's nice too to have boys that aren't that masculine looking. :nod:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
As a kid, all my G1 ponies were girls except for the two Playtime Baby Brothers that I had: Baby Countdown and Baby Drummer. At the time I didn't even know that Big Brother Ponies & Loving Family Ponies even existed.

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
I'm not sure what I did with my ponies as a kid.

What I do know is that even knowing exactly how genders technically work in MLP I still view my Coco Berry as a  boy. Likely because I associate him with my dog, Coco. He's that sweet loving little soul who seems like a perfect little angel and yet occasionally gets into mischief without ever having intended to. Then you try to talk to him about it and he's there looking at you like "What? It's okay, right? I'm cute!". (The dog and the pony.) I figure he's very sociable and likes to make cakes, somewhat like Peeta from The Hunger Games. Only Coco Berry doesn't need to use that skill to hide from danger--he finds out when other ponies are celebrating and likes to surprise them with sweets. His girlfriend, Chatterbox, makes greeting cards to go with them. :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Oh, Galaxy was a boy and married to Princess Dawn. ;)  Twist was a boy and married to Skippedy Doo.  I think Sparkler was a boy as well... we didn't play with her much though.  We got her at a flea market and she was in such terrible shape.  She was never one of our favorites.  Also, one of the ponies in Princess Dawn's pose was a boy as well, although I can't recall off hand which one.  The European's had the same idea though. ;)

Offline MorningGlorysParadise82

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Boysenberry pie was sorta a boy. I never really played with her much as I was phasing out of that. Now Moondancer was always a girl but going back and re-listening to the book and tapes that call her a HE! NEVER noticed that! lol
Live as though the world is as it should be, to show what it can be.
Want List/My Ponydex/Ref.sheet

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
I actually made quite a few of them into guys, to even out the ratio. XD the only ones who were 100% confirmed gals in my mind were the ones who appeared as such on the cartoon, as the cartoon was the final word on all things pony for me. (The big brothers helped even things out a bit in G1, though)

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I had two sugar sweets and two sparkle sky rockets, both received mowhawks and became males!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
As a kid, all my ponies where girls. Every single last one. I often got in trouble for having princess pony weddings hahah. (I honestly don't know what my parents expected when all my other dolls were also women, I never had a Ken doll. So don't get mad at your kid for having lesbian weddings. lol)

These days its a good mix of trans, nb and ladies. . v.
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
They're all female to me, unless they're in the traditional boy moulding. We didn't have the Berrytown/Meadowsweet/Sunbright Families here to throw us for a loop... lol

Yup this for me.

If I am honest I dont recall it ever being something I thought about when playing with ponies as a little girl. I had an Applejack called Tom but he was named after my best friend at the time - so it was not intentionally to make him a boy. Whether girls or boys was irrelevant to the stories and adventures therefore it was not a factor as odd as that may be to some.

So unless they were specifically introduced as a boy (on their cards, in the comics or books) they would have been a girl pony. And thats kind of where I have stayed - if Hasbro said she is a she, then she is a she; if Hasbro said he is a he, then he is a he.

This is the same for me. At the very beginning of my MLP run in 1984-85 I remember thinking that Applejack and Bow-Tie were boys (as in Hasbro made them boys), but then I recognized that they were officially girls like the others. I enjoyed MLP being a purely female world so I wasn't interested in boy ponies, even ones specifically made as such by Hasbro! I also didn't assign any age to the ponies or family relationships between them (aside from mama/baby)--they were all ageless and pretty much freestanding individuals. I grew up in a very happy family but I didn't want my ponies to have families (just friends)--I even eventually got rid of the babies in part b/c I thought they messed things up!

Hmmm . . . maybe the fact that I'm single and childless is making sense . . .
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I'm not sure what I did with my ponies as a kid.

What I do know is that even knowing exactly how genders technically work in MLP I still view my Coco Berry as a  boy. Likely because I associate him with my dog, Coco. He's that sweet loving little soul who seems like a perfect little angel and yet occasionally gets into mischief without ever having intended to. Then you try to talk to him about it and he's there looking at you like "What? It's okay, right? I'm cute!". (The dog and the pony.) I figure he's very sociable and likes to make cakes, somewhat like Peeta from The Hunger Games. Only Coco Berry doesn't need to use that skill to hide from danger--he finds out when other ponies are celebrating and likes to surprise them with sweets. His girlfriend, Chatterbox, makes greeting cards to go with them. :)

aw, that's so cute! 

I had a family with Hula Hula the mum, baby sparkle Gusty as the baby and Sea Breeze as the aunty, the dad was this blue fakie alicorn I had.  Also Starlight and Bright Eyes from the 7 characters were boys.  (Odd because now Bright Eyes is one of my favourites.  Never really liked Starlight's colouring for some reason so she became a boy.)  So they got crew cuts  :doh:  So regret the haircuts now!  But hey, when you're a kid...

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
They're all female to me, unless they're in the traditional boy moulding. We didn't have the Berrytown/Meadowsweet/Sunbright Families here to throw us for a loop... lol

Yup this for me.

If I am honest I dont recall it ever being something I thought about when playing with ponies as a little girl. I had an Applejack called Tom but he was named after my best friend at the time - so it was not intentionally to make him a boy. Whether girls or boys was irrelevant to the stories and adventures therefore it was not a factor as odd as that may be to some.

So unless they were specifically introduced as a boy (on their cards, in the comics or books) they would have been a girl pony. And thats kind of where I have stayed - if Hasbro said she is a she, then she is a she; if Hasbro said he is a he, then he is a he.

^ Agreed.

The only female pony I ever considered male was Skydancer, mostly for the reasons the OP suggested.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
I had Birthday pony as a boy - my childhood one had short hair and really short ribbons. He was married to Pony Bride for a while, but then he moved on to Patch. Hopping pocket was a boy, as was Moonstone and Firefly I think as well.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
Baby Count-A-Lot has always been a boy to me. I don't know why.  :bird:

He knows that they're the fool...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal