collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 04:29:25 AM »
Here's a couple of tutorials. Wig making is really fun and easy.

http://sols-crew.tumblr.com/post/43544419633/tutorial-making-a-brushed-yarn-wig
http://www.arkathwyn.com/bjd---wig-wefts.html

Thanks for those! I never knew yarn could end up looking so smooth and silky! I may try this when I want another project to do. It'd be much easier to style this way...One thing that's getting me about this wig is that Kaito's hair parts to the left, and this wig doesn't have a part that goes one way or another, but it wants to sway right. :lol: I forgot to mention that's why he has a bobby pin in his hair right now. I have to figure out how to get it to stay where I want it to.

Kaito turned out adorable! I am going to try my hand at a complete custom doll someday, just a little wary of things like MSC which I've heard is a must for a good custom. :/

Thanks for those links Ackryllis! :D I was looking for something just like that for a wig I wanna make one of my babies.

Thank you! And good luck when you decide to go for putting together your own! :D It's something I want to try someday as well, but not for a long while because of the cost. Gotta save a lot more lol.

I adore hybrids myself, I think they're really fun to make. I have one BJD that's a hybrid between three companies, he took over a year to get put together, but was definitely worth it. I love how your Kaito turned out, Noxxbunny. He's one of my fave vocaloids. :)

A 3 company hybrid sounds really cool! I can't say I've seen that before. And thanks! Kaito is my #1 favorite. :biggrin:

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
Re: What\'s Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »
But finally...things went my way today and I got everything together! So finally pictures! I was too excited to wait for daylight.

He looks great!  Nice work!

On the original topic, I have two hybrids (one is a play doll - an American Girl head on a SewAble body, and the other a BJD - an Iplehouse head on a ResinSoul body).  Personally, I don't see why people would bash hybrids - with all the companies out there that only put out heads (or that allow you to buy heads without bodies), there's no way around it!

That said, I do understand some of the critiques of dolls where the hybridization doesn't quite work - sometimes the colour or scale really does look off.  That can sometimes be intentional but when it's not, I think it can be worth pointing out the problems with it (if the owner is looking for critiques, at least!).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2015, 04:59:41 AM »
I'm not a big doll collector, so I definitely don't understand the fuss lol, but I've mixed up some cheap bodies and heads for fun.

I just wanted to say your Kaito looks great! The scarf helps to balance the head size so it looks just a tad large but deliberately so. That dye job looks splendid too, I'm glad you found a solution. ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 01:11:42 PM »
yay, I'm happy things worked out for you in the end, and aww, Kaito turned out to be an adorable little guy. I like the proportions :)

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »
But finally...things went my way today and I got everything together! So finally pictures! I was too excited to wait for daylight.

On the original topic, I have two hybrids (one is a play doll - an American Girl head on a SewAble body, and the other a BJD - an Iplehouse head on a ResinSoul body).  Personally, I don't see why people would bash hybrids - with all the companies out there that only put out heads (or that allow you to buy heads without bodies), there's no way around it!

That said, I do understand some of the critiques of dolls where the hybridization doesn't quite work - sometimes the colour or scale really does look off.  That can sometimes be intentional but when it's not, I think it can be worth pointing out the problems with it (if the owner is looking for critiques, at least!).

Thanks! :D And yeah, I never really understood it either. A lot of what I've seen just seems to be plain ol' elitism, which is just downright mean and immature(You know the typical "My doll is better than your doll because customs are worth less...because reasons").

When it comes to hybrids, massively mismatched skin tones are the only thing that sort of confuses me, but hey, if the owner likes it, then I'm not going to bring them down for it or anything.

I'm not a big doll collector, so I definitely don't understand the fuss lol, but I've mixed up some cheap bodies and heads for fun.

I just wanted to say your Kaito looks great! The scarf helps to balance the head size so it looks just a tad large but deliberately so. That dye job looks splendid too, I'm glad you found a solution. ^.^

Thank you! :) I was thinking the same thing about the scarf. I'm glad the dye came out the way I wanted it to eventually. It was a lot of work, but it came out in a way I like a lot!

yay, I'm happy things worked out for you in the end, and aww, Kaito turned out to be an adorable little guy. I like the proportions :)

I'm glad they it worked out too! I was worried for a bit that this wig was somehow un-dyable :lol:
And thanks! Now that I'm totally used to the proportions myself, I like him a lot!

Offline BabiChuld

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • With pony powers, come pony responsibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »
I would never ever have a hybrid in my own collection, I'm into originality through and through. That being said I do like seeing hybrids and the creations that other people make- I certainly would't bash peoples creativty. I see a lot of people putting Licca heads on Obitsu bodies and I think it looks adorable! Then I wonder where are the original bodies and can I buy them for my loose Licca heads haha
Thank you Lindsay1988 for this beautiful Sig!  :lovey:

Don't worry, be happy!  :P Come visit my pony page to see my collection grow ^_^ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joannas-collection-of-Vintage-My-Little-Pony-toys/171365783052710

My Ridiculously huge Wishlist XD http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347431.new.html#new

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 11:54:23 PM »
I would never ever have a hybrid in my own collection, I'm into originality through and through. That being said I do like seeing hybrids and the creations that other people make- I certainly would't bash peoples creativty. I see a lot of people putting Licca heads on Obitsu bodies and I think it looks adorable! Then I wonder where are the original bodies and can I buy them for my loose Licca heads haha

Normally, I'm super into having the original too (I admit have 3 Kaito nendoroids because of this. One I painted, but afterwards I HAD to have the original one and the first release version too:lol:) Even with this doll, a small part of me wants to get another original too, but the original creeps my boyfriend out to the max and the price is a little high(I got this one 60% off, which is why I feel no shame in customizing it) so I think I can live without it in this case. I also just looked up Licca dolls and they're super adorable! I hope you can find bodies for them!

And now I wanted to do an update :) I decided to follow that yarn wig tutorial. The sharpie dyed wig didn't work out. The dye just would not set, and I could not have it rubbing off on everything. No matter how much I washed it, tried to pat the excess off, it wouldn't work. I didn't want to have a doll that I could never even touch because of worry about the transfer! I made the wig in about 2 days. I had a lot of fun with it. It was pretty relaxing to do. Only the straightening with the flat iron was hard. I've been straightening my hair almost daily for 8 years and it's so hard to do it on something that's not my own head! :lol: In the end, it was for the better than the old one didn't work, because I love this look!

I am 100% happy with him now. I feel really attached to this doll now that I've put so much work into it. It feels cool to say that I did the faceup and even made the wig from plain old acrylic yarn. Even if this may look amateur-ish(Can you guys tell I hardly ever wear make-up or style hair? Lol) I may or may not mess around with that some more. The faceup isn't sealed, so I can always try again easily. I think I even have the guts to post him to my DA now. I posted the way he looked before this head and it was much worse, so I might as well. I don't think anything anyone says can really get me down about him now. I like him too much. Thanks again for all the advice and support everyone. :biggrin:

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
the new wig turned out awesome! I'm happy you have decided to try your hands at the yarn wig for more future safety (even though they aren't my stuff I usually get a little worried when someone uses sharpies for dying or faceup, knowing the horror effects they can cause immediately or over time), and I'm also happy to hear the process made you bond with Kaito even more! isn't it so amazing how attached you can get to a collection piece as soon as some own partial or full modification goes into them? ^^

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
the new wig turned out awesome! I'm happy you have decided to try your hands at the yarn wig for more future safety (even though they aren't my stuff I usually get a little worried when someone uses sharpies for dying or faceup, knowing the horror effects they can cause immediately or over time), and I'm also happy to hear the process made you bond with Kaito even more! isn't it so amazing how attached you can get to a collection piece as soon as some own partial or full modification goes into them? ^^

Thanks! :D And yeah, all the sharpie damage lol. His head does have a few light stains that I have to get out eventually, but at least I can't see them. Working on a doll really does wonders for attachment. Especially because I know how unattached I was to him when I first got him in comparison. I'll probably only like him more from here on out too, since next on the list for me is making him clothes.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »
I have lots of playline doll hybrids.

Thanks! :D And yeah, I never really understood it either. A lot of what I've seen just seems to be plain ol' elitism, which is just downright mean and immature(You know the typical "My doll is better than your doll because customs are worth less...because reasons").

The only time I have seen ppl complain about hybrids is when one of the parts is cheap. it's almost like they feel the cheap parts make the whole thing cheap.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2015, 06:42:24 AM »
I have lots of playline doll hybrids.

The only time I have seen ppl complain about hybrids is when one of the parts is cheap. it's almost like they feel the cheap parts make the whole thing cheap.

Ooh! I'm glad you posted a picture! They all look great! :D And yeah, in this case, it's the body that some would consider "cheap" because it's a fashion doll. I say the heart put into a doll definitely matters more than just the retail price...I guess mine would be considered two times as cheap to those kinds of people because I got this doll 50% off when I bought him. :lol:

Offline Ackryllis

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
I'm really happy that the tutorial was of help.
I have to say the yarn wig looks more relaxed than the first one. You've done great with him

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »
Your Kaito looks fantastic! He's so cute. I'm drooling over that wig.  ^.^

I love hybrid dolls. Even if the individual doll isn't to my taste, I like seeing how creative and inventive people can be. I only have one hybrid doll myself:

I fell in love with the face of the Giochi Preziosi W.I.T.C.H. Will doll when I saw her reviewed on The ToyBox Philosopher's website, so I had to have her. She didn't have much articulation though, and I'm used to Monster High levels of flexibility, so I rebodied her on to a Barbie Fashionista body. I call her Aven now.
:heart:

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
I'm really happy that the tutorial was of help.
I have to say the yarn wig looks more relaxed than the first one. You've done great with him

It definitely was helpful. It was really easy to follow. Thanks again for that! :D I like the more relaxed look on this wig too. I like the choppy...but still tame look.

Your Kaito looks fantastic! He's so cute. I'm drooling over that wig.  ^.^

I love hybrid dolls. Even if the individual doll isn't to my taste, I like seeing how creative and inventive people can be. I only have one hybrid doll myself:

I fell in love with the face of the Giochi Preziosi W.I.T.C.H. Will doll when I saw her reviewed on The ToyBox Philosopher's website, so I had to have her. She didn't have much articulation though, and I'm used to Monster High levels of flexibility, so I rebodied her on to a Barbie Fashionista body. I call her Aven now.

Thanks! I can see why you'd love that face! I really like it too! Aven is very pretty and switching for more articulation definitely makes sense.. :) I'm also digging her outfit. It's super cute!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:27:12 PM by Noxxbunny »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal