collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: That moment you find a variant....  (Read 1389 times)

Offline billietallent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Imma die surrounded by ponies, yarn, and buttons
    • View Profile
That moment you find a variant....
« on: April 22, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
......hiding out in your herd, that you forgot/didn't know about.  :blink:

I was poking through the insane toy jungle that is my toy room, and came across this pretty girl:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her neck is factory sealed, and her washer is definitely still in place. Her head is a bit darker than her body, so I'm guess she's a combo of the two Pretty Beat variations. I did a quick search here, and it looks like at one point Raindrop had one like her, too.

She's also got these weird black flakes scattered about that seem to be part of the plastic (factory debris?), and airbubbles in the plastic on some of her hooves that my phone camera couldn't quite pick up.

I have no idea when/where I got her, it must have been years ago (and was probably either in an ebay lot or was a thrift find) but I'm happy to have her!

Anybody else ever find a surprise in their herd?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: That moment you find a variant....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »
Haha, awesome, you got a 2 in 1!

I soet of have but not so much in the one off randomly noticed category. I remember going through DV pics in 1997 trying to figure out the poses that were different from the ponies I had, and I remember finding Italy Surprise around the same time and not totally being sure why she was different, just that she was...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:24:18 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Princess Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
Ohh wow she is so cool! What an awesome find to stumble across in your collection  ^.^

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
she's so cool! I so need her in my RnB herd!
awesome find

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:04:16 PM »
Another one!  Yes, I had one like her.  Kind of a Euro/US hybrid.  I sold her to a member here--can't remember who, but was happy she went to a good home!  Congrats on a fun find!

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »
I remember that hybrid, although I still really need some more G1s first. The surprise in the collection thing is really only possible in buying large lots. Someday, I'll get one. Someday...

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Jahlila

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • DA Page
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:10:37 AM »
Another one!  Yes, I had one like her.  Kind of a Euro/US hybrid.  I sold her to a member here--can't remember who, but was happy she went to a good home!  Congrats on a fun find!

You sold her to me, Raindrop. :) I still have her too! Her neck is still sealed and I just love her.

Congrats billietallent! Variants are the best!
*~*Jahlila*~*

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:23:27 AM »
Wow! Nice!! I'm not much into these kind of variants... Does US version have blue hair and the euro purple? Are there any more variants of this set? I'd love to see pics!!

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 03:45:46 AM »
so great!! congrats!  ^.^ ^.^
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 08:54:43 AM »
Wow! Nice!! I'm not much into these kind of variants... Does US version have blue hair and the euro purple? Are there any more variants of this set? I'd love to see pics!!

I think it has been proven that both were sold in both places but the purple is definitely more common here than the blue so I think it's how they are generally known.

I love this hybrid variant though. I am geeky about stuff like that and will now be scouring ebay for one. The big question to me is, though, which card style was she originally on?

This pony year is so full of variations, seriously...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline billietallent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Imma die surrounded by ponies, yarn, and buttons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 09:19:46 AM »
I was so surprised when I found her; guess I was really not paying attention when I dug the rest of my G1s out of storage a couple months ago....  :P

I wish I could remember where I got her, at least enough to know if I found her here in Canada or if she came in a lot from the US or the UK. Unfortunately, it was more than a decade ago, and my memory is just not that good.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 02:12:33 PM »
She looks so cool like that! If anyone can pull off mismatched hair, it's a Rockin Beat!
I wonder, could there be corresponding Pretty Beats somewhere out there with blue manes and purple tails?  :what:

It's not as neat as yours, but I found out years after I got her that my Sweet Pocket was the Spanish/NC version. I only discovered it because I got another "regular" Sweet Pocket who had purple hair instead of blue and compared the two side by side. 1991 seems to be a pretty lax year in Hasbro's hair color quality control! :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »
She looks so cool like that! If anyone can pull off mismatched hair, it's a Rockin Beat!
I wonder, could there be corresponding Pretty Beats somewhere out there with blue manes and purple tails?  :what:

It's not as neat as yours, but I found out years after I got her that my Sweet Pocket was the Spanish/NC version. I only discovered it because I got another "regular" Sweet Pocket who had purple hair instead of blue and compared the two side by side. 1991 seems to be a pretty lax year in Hasbro's hair color quality control! :lol:

Hang on a minute. So there are already three different Chinese Singing/Sweet Pockets (fading pink/blue, fading pink/purple and bubblegum pink/purple) and now you tell me there's also a NC one?!

*sound of Taffeta headbutting a wall can be heard...*

No kidding on the quality control. And I thought Dazzleglow was bad enough...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 03:41:17 PM »
Hang on a minute. So there are already three different Chinese Singing/Sweet Pockets (fading pink/blue, fading pink/purple and bubblegum pink/purple) and now you tell me there's also a NC one?!

*pats you gently* ^^;
If it makes you feel better, I don't think the NC version has any significant differences to the China version. Or at least, no differences from the straight-fading-pink-with-blue-hair "ideal" China version. Certainly not anything like the differences that the China version has with itself! :lol: Curly/straight, purple/blue, fading/unfading... Poor Sweet Pocket has a lot of issues with consistency.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »

*pats you gently* ^^;
If it makes you feel better, I don't think the NC version has any significant differences to the China version. Or at least, no differences from the straight-fading-pink-with-blue-hair "ideal" China version. Certainly not anything like the differences that the China version has with itself! :lol: Curly/straight, purple/blue, fading/unfading... Poor Sweet Pocket has a lot of issues with consistency.

So does Hopping Pocket/Bunny Hop. I've counted at least 3 versions of her too, so far (not including curly/straight because of the vast number of indeterminate middle line frizz for this set xD)...I wonder if she also has a NC (I literally did go check all the hooves of mine when I read your post but every pony in my cupboard I can find is China)

Hasbro had a total spasm in 1991.

So far as I know, pink/blue wasn't sold in the UK. At least, every one I've had from here has been pink/purple. The only pink/blue we have is my sister's with no symbol from her "rescue ponies" that I must've given her from a pony lot years ago. This makes me wonder if pink/blue NC is an American/Canadian release pony, or if she's the answer to Europe NOT getting pink/blue.

Ah, Hasbro, how you torment me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:47:15 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal