collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3  (Read 79410 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Ball Jointed Dolls- Thread #3
« Reply #1365 on: September 28, 2016, 05:33:13 AM »
You could also buy ABS instead of resin. They're "off topic" on DoA but ABS BJDs are just as good as resin. Even better in some cases! Don't let elitist people/forums/FB groups scare you away from ABS because they don't consider them "real" BJDs if you're interested in them. There's a lot more to the community than just those places :)

Hujoo makes a lot of cute affordable ABS dolls. And some of them are animals! I have a Freya and she's adorable. My only complaint was her head back's design being absolutely atrocious (I almost threw her away on day 1) but I think they fixed that. She was something like $60-70 with her special eyes and expensive shipping from JunkySpot. Her faceup/body painting was done for free. If you keep an eye out on Tumblr or other forums/groups you'll sometimes find newish-but-skilled faceup artists offering free or extremely reduced cost slots to build up their portfolio before taking commissions.

The smaller ones are even cheaper, if you like tinies. $25-28 on Junkyspot with no eyes/faceup (before shipping).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1366 on: September 28, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »
wow that's a lot closer to what I was thinking,  thank you!! I dont even really understand the difference.. they look very similar.  I'm in love with Janus Gato??! so cute.. 

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 28, 2016, 09:34:38 AM »
Oh, I totally forgot about those, Taxel! Good thing you suggested them.

Great that you found a favorite from them, cannibalism! :lovey:

Offline SaelaVe

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 28, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
I dont even really understand the difference.. they look very similar.

It's just a different type of plastic is all.  ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) is a thermoplastic polymer, whereas most BJDs are made from resin.
I have no idea what the differences are between them—why one is more widely used over the other. :shrug:
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

:rainbow: Instagram :rainbow:

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #1369 on: September 28, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »
BJD started with volks, who cast most of their dolls in resin. So I think it started as tradition. Resin is heavier and in some cases more durable. ABS BJD are fabulous starter dolls. It'll give you a feel of how BJD work for sure. Plus the prices are much nicer.

Offline Aliyahbetd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 28, 2016, 08:14:04 PM »

It's just a different type of plastic is all.  ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) is a thermoplastic polymer, whereas most BJDs are made from resin.
I have no idea what the differences are between them—why one is more widely used over the other. :shrug:
They do feel a bit different, ABS is much lighter (great for a travel/pocket doll! :) ) and a bit softer plastic and shinier. Painted/faceuped and sprayed with MSC its not really that noticeable. Personally, don't think it makes much of a difference, I love my mini freya <3

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:14:18 AM by Aliyahbetd »
Wishlist:
My Kingdom for Cranberry Muffins! :lovey:...
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,379105.0.html

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #1371 on: September 28, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »
I'm glad I could help! :D All my BJDs are ABS and I really like it. They're a good place to start! You can always make the jump to resin later if you decide you want to.

As far as difference go I've always heard people complain that resin yellows like crazy, even in the dark, but I haven't had any problems with my ABS dolls. I've got 3, 4, and 8 year old ABS dolls that aren't yellow at all.

Offline SaelaVe

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: September 28, 2016, 10:20:31 PM »

They do feel a bit different, ABS is much lighter (great for a trael/poocket soll! :) ) and a bit softer plastic and shinier. Painted/faceuped and sprayed with MSC its not really that noticeable. Personally, don't think it makes much of a difference, I love my mini freya <3

Ah, cool.  Thanks, Aliyahbetd.  That was very helpful.

Your Mini Freya is adorable, btw! 
I hope to eventually get a Freyr to be a young manster boy for my 17" Monster High dolls.

I'm glad I could help! :D All my BJDs are ABS and I really like it. They're a good place to start! You can always make the jump to resin later if you decide you want to.

As far as difference go I've always heard people complain that resin yellows like crazy, even in the dark...

As far as I've ever heard, keeping the dolls out of direct sunlight helps greatly to prevent yellowing.
I've not yet come upon any collectors that had dolls yellow even if they were kept entirely out of sunlight.  In fact, I know several collectors who have dolls seven and eight years old that have never yellowed.
My own resin BJDs have yet to yellow, and I keep them out of sunlight like it's the plague. XD

Now I do know that Iplehouse's tan resins will turn green pretty much no matter what.  It's made worse by sunlight, but it seems to eventually happen to all of them, whether they were exposed to UV light or not. :(

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #1373 on: September 28, 2016, 10:23:50 PM »
Weird, maybe its different companies or something? I know I've seen at least a good handful of complaints on Tumblr about boxed up dolls yellowing. I have also heard some people say their boxed dolls didn't yellow, or just kind of mellowed a little, so I dunno. I just can't deal with how fickle resin is, haha.

Offline suppi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chibi-suppi.deviantart.com
« Reply #1374 on: September 28, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »
Now I do know that Iplehouse's tan resins will turn green pretty much no matter what.  It's made worse by sunlight, but it seems to eventually happen to all of them, whether they were exposed to UV light or not. :(

I think it depends on when it was made for the Iplehouse. My friend owns a few, one is like GREEN and the other is perfectly fine. The difference was that the green one was made before they added the UV stuff and the other one has the UV protect. I also know that she keeps them only minimally protected from sunlight because she's like me and we're both super lax owners. lol

Also what doll is in your profile pic? I keep staring at it because it's cute. <3

My Flickr :3 Thanks YLH for my Avvie and Sugarcup for my siggy!

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #1375 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:50 AM »
Anyone looking for a FL Hippogriff? I have a local friend that really needs to sell hers.

https://denofangels.com/threads/520-%E2%80%93-fairyland-rus-hippogriff-full-doll-agra-tan.724787/

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1376 on: September 29, 2016, 10:37:14 AM »
Anyone looking for a FL Hippogriff? I have a local friend that really needs to sell hers.

https://denofangels.com/threads/520-%E2%80%93-fairyland-rus-hippogriff-full-doll-agra-tan.724787/

:whoa: if only I had the money!!!!  so cute....

Offline SaelaVe

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 29, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »

I think it depends on when it was made for the Iplehouse. My friend owns a few, one is like GREEN and the other is perfectly fine. The difference was that the green one was made before they added the UV stuff and the other one has the UV protect. I also know that she keeps them only minimally protected from sunlight because she's like me and we're both super lax owners. lol

Also what doll is in your profile pic? I keep staring at it because it's cute. <3

Okay that is good to know because I badly want a tan Tatiana, but I've been super nervous about getting one.  But if they've added something to the resin that helps to prevent the greening then I'll definitely start saving up! :D

The doll in my avatar is Mystic Kids Lillian.  Isn't she adorable?  She's my absolute favorite doll! :heart:

Offline Olympus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 29, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »

Okay that is good to know because I badly want a tan Tatiana, but I've been super nervous about getting one.  But if they've added something to the resin that helps to prevent the greening then I'll definitely start saving up! :D

The doll in my avatar is Mystic Kids Lillian.  Isn't she adorable?  She's my absolute favorite doll! :heart:

She's dangerously cute. The photos (and the sale!!!) on Junky Spot aren't helping either.

Must... resist...  >_<

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #1379 on: October 03, 2016, 08:44:28 AM »
I really liked my Freya while I had her - she was a fun little doll!

I am itching for a new doll but I had to take Amazing Jasper the Asthma Cat to the emergency vet last night so no more dollies for a while. I'll just have to wait patiently for for bunny.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal