collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2015, 01:59:40 AM »
Interesting thread.  :)

The discussion of "you payed for it, do what you want with it" versus "we have a responsibility to the collecting community" is one I've pondered before.

While I generally like to respect people's choices, for me it's not about the fact that they paid for something. We live in a world where some people can afford a lot more than others. I think those people have a duty alongside their privilege, particularly when it comes to issues of history and culture. For example, people who own heritage buildings in the UK are expected to maintain them for the benefit of us all.

I think we in the community all agree that MLP are of cultural and historical significance. As such I do feel that people who can afford MOCs should consider that they have the privilege and the accompanying duty to maintain those ponies to the best of their ability. For someone to buy loads of MOC ponies to decard simply "because they can afford to" is an example of privileged selfishness and irresponsibility.  -_-

Now, if one person saves up for ages to afford a single MOC to decard ... I certainly feel more sympathetic to their reasons ... but I do feel like anyone who can afford a MOC should feel the same responsibility. I managed to buy a MOC Glory she's lovely but her bubble is yellow and cracked and boy have I fantasized about opening her. But I won't, not because I think it will devalue her, but because I feel like she is a little bit of history.

The only other MOC I have owned is G2 SilverGlow, initially I kept her MOC. I did end up decarding her because she was degrading in the box, becoming sticky and sweaty and the card was getting damaged too. And I think the ponies themselves should always be priority (but that's partly because I anthropomorphise them a little!). So if I felt like Glory was getting damaged by her packaging I might have to decide to decard her, but that's something I would avoid if possible.

Many of the G3s I think are not so bad because they can be removed from their boxes without damaging the packaging whatsoever.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2015, 05:36:32 AM »

The discussion of "you payed for it, do what you want with it" versus "we have a responsibility to the collecting community" is one I've pondered before.

While I generally like to respect people's choices, for me it's not about the fact that they paid for something. We live in a world where some people can afford a lot more than others. I think those people have a duty alongside their privilege, particularly when it comes to issues of history and culture. For example, people who own heritage buildings in the UK are expected to maintain them for the benefit of us all.

I think we in the community all agree that MLP are of cultural and historical significance. As such I do feel that people who can afford MOCs should consider that they have the privilege and the accompanying duty to maintain those ponies to the best of their ability. For someone to buy loads of MOC ponies to decard simply "because they can afford to" is an example of privileged selfishness and irresponsibility.  -_-

I do agree with all you have written but I have to write you something  ;) please do not take offence but I just wanted to precise about the persons who can afford MOC.

Yes it is true it is a privilege but you wrote things like all MOC collectors are super rich. I am not offended by your comment  ;) but I just took my example and I think I am not alone.
I am not super rich, I am mother of 2 children and do not work at the moment  :huh: However I really prefer to buy ponies than going shopping, going to the manucure, going to the restaurant, going to theaters etc etc because I just decided that I love more ponies than taking care of myself  :lol: I really more enjoy them!!!

And Why MOC specially? just because I have never ever seen other MOC when I was a child, I received Tickle for Xmas and not other ponies then. When I start collecting to find an other Tickle I discover all the ponies!!! And I saw some of them in their original packaging, WHAT A DISCOVER!!!   :shocked: :shocked:

I am seriously emotionally attached to the MOC MIB Ponies , it is like i go back to the past  ;) so I made a very important decision and I prefer to put the little money I can have to MOC.

I really hope my english is ok and that you can understand my point of view . I repeat: I was not feeling offended but I just wanted to precise this, not all MOC collectors are rich, I think we took the decision to go on this way and assume it by not doing something else in our lives ;o) And I hope my opinion does not offend you too  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:46:32 AM by Bibinettepony »
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2015, 08:14:26 AM »
Bibinettepony, I'm not saying that all MOC collectors are rich. ;) What I'm saying that even those of us (me included!) who can only afford to own one or two MOC are privileged, as there are some people who will never own a MOC, no matter how much they save. So we are still lucky to own any MOC and we still have some responsibility for maintaining them.

There was a comment earlier in the thread about a seller who bought many MOCs, decarded them all and then sold them. To me this is an example of someone who us British would say has "more money than sense" and someone who wasn't thinking about the cultural importance of those MOC when they bought them simply to decard.  :huh:

I hope that makes more sense.

p.s. I'm like you, the only things I spend any money one are ponies and my dogs! I even cut my own hair, because why would I waste ££ on that when I can buy more ponies!  :lol:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2015, 10:24:30 AM »
 :hug:  :hug: Whippycorn, I am ok with what you say (like I previously said  :lol: ) but I just wanted to make the point clear. Maybe some persons can misread and think that MOC collector are super rich, that's why I wanted to add my view  ;) and personal experience.  :blush:

But you're definitively right saying that unhappily even with saving for long time some pony collectors can not afford a MOC  :huh:. And I agree for respect for them, MOC Collectors should respect MOC ponies and take really good care of them.  ;)

PS: I also cut my own hair  :lol: :lol: :lol:
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2015, 11:09:03 AM »

Now, if one person saves up for ages to afford a single MOC to decard ... I certainly feel more sympathetic to their reasons ... but I do feel like anyone who can afford a MOC should feel the same responsibility. I managed to buy a MOC Glory she's lovely but her bubble is yellow and cracked and boy have I fantasized about opening her. But I won't, not because I think it will devalue her, but because I feel like she is a little bit of history.

The only other MOC I have owned is G2 SilverGlow, initially I kept her MOC. I did end up decarding her because she was degrading in the box, becoming sticky and sweaty and the card was getting damaged too. And I think the ponies themselves should always be priority (but that's partly because I anthropomorphise them a little!). So if I felt like Glory was getting damaged by her packaging I might have to decide to decard her, but that's something I would avoid if possible.

Many of the G3s I think are not so bad because they can be removed from their boxes without damaging the packaging whatsoever.
  Very well said :) I totally agree with this line of thinking :)
I hope we all get on the same page here for the sake of preservation of our beloved ponies.
I have bought g2  mocs that are open already  and I have re sealed them :) some glue to the bubble and voila ,they are back to Moc Status for my collection :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2015, 07:27:08 PM »
I wouldn't open a G1 MOC/MIB unless the packaging was really bad or at risk of damaging the pony/playset/accessory.  I deliberately don't buy MOC though because I prefer to have everything loose so I can play with them.

I feel the same about G2.

I deboxed all my G3's to save space (and so I can play with them).  However I just deboxed a Winter Minty I found at a flea market and now I regret it because she was so pretty in the packaging.  So I probably won't debox these any more since we're getting pretty far out from their release now.

I debox all my G4's.  I suppose once they aren't being released anymore I'll stop doing that.

I haven't read all the posts, but it sounds like there's a debate about whether or not people should debox G1's.  I figure if you want to debox them it's no one else's business, although I wish people wouldn't.

Someday when I have every MLP doll, playset, and accessory ever made from every country then I'll start buying MOC/MIB.  So it won't be for awhile.   ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2015, 01:00:59 AM »
I'd love to open a So Soft pony. The tactile temptation would be too much!
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »

I feel my fingers starting to tingle when I think of being able to decard a so soft... :dribble: But I think the short joy of it would not be worth it. Shortly it would just become another mint condition SS pony. :P

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »
Definitely.  The G1 to G3 ponies are so beautiful, and gorgeously designed, that it would a crime not to have them out on full display.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »

I feel my fingers starting to tingle when I think of being able to decard a so soft... :dribble: But I think the short joy of it would not be worth it. Shortly it would just become another mint condition SS pony. :P

Me three!! It would be so amazing... And soft!! But I'd probably regret it.   

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
So softs are pretty expensive ones too. Not worth it.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
It would be amazing to do at a meet - do a pass the parcel.

Everyone chips in, MIP So Soft gets wrapped up, accessories and baby ponies in different layers as token prizes. Winner gets to decard so soft and keep her, but all the people who lost out get to have a feel and a nuzzle.
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2015, 08:53:59 AM »
It's funny- because the topic is what would YOU do, not, how do you feel about what others would do :) 

Generally, I feel like people can do what they want with their things (including vintage ponies). 

But with the bubble carded ponies-  they are so rare and so irreplaceable (getting more so every day and especially the foreign ones) that opening a sealed bubble-card seems more akin to destroying artwork, since the vintage packaging is more rare by far than the pony itself. 

If the packaging is in terrible shape and really can't be displayed, than I don't see a problem with opening a pony like that, since it is impossible to restore damaged packaging (which is why it is a little painful to see/hear of people ripping open their MOC ponies from perfect packaging)

Offline Cockatiel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »
I wouldn't debox a G1 pony. I don't collect MOC ponies, but I know that many people do so I wouldn't want to ruin that chance. There are only a finite number of MOC ponies, and that number will always be decreasing as time goes on.

I've deboxed tons of G3 ponies though, but that's because they were new at the time. I've recently acquired a few in-box G3s, and I will be deboxing them because the box condition is so horrible and smelly.
:lovey:

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »
If I ever get one, maybe.

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal