collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it okay for kids to play with ponies?  (Read 5903 times)

Offline LunaDehligt

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • the fun has been doubled! :D I SO LOVE MY PERSONA!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it okay for kids to play with ponies?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
My son is 1 year old and he loves ponys and i gave him his first one g1, 3 Days ago and he love her and i dont see a problem with it and hes father do not see a problem with it ether :P :blush:

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »

I have a pony that feels a bit sticky (maybe others too). Is it breaking down then? Or can I just wash it? Do others have ponies like this? What do you do?
If the plasticizer is leaking (which would make her sticky) then there's not much you can do with her until it's done leaking out. You can wash away the stickiness, but it will come back. Eventually, it will all leak out and she would be hard as a rock (not a puddle with hair, thankfully)!  It can take years for all the stickiness to leach away.

Elf

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »
I had probably close to 100 ponies in the '80s. I played with them, I chewed on them... And I'm still alive! :P

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:19 PM »
I had no idea that the ponies could be considered poisonous.  I knew some toys were bad, the ones with lead paint, but not ponies. 
I wouldn't give them the moldy or the gooey ponies.  Some people are very sensitive to mold and mildew.  I know I am.
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 04:57:24 PM »
I go with the general "just dont lick them" kind of angle. Although if thats your kind of thing I am not going to judge.

I think I would be as worried about the general bacteria and dirt 30+ year toys will have picked up more than I would be about chemical content.

As others have said they dont have the same manufacturing standards as today but as most of us are fine, I think you are probably fine with handing, displaying and being in regular contact with them as an adult. Just air on the side of caution as to the age of the child involved.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 07:08:34 AM »
Actually I'm worried about the G4s I...I took a whiff of Lira Heartstrings and OMG I could feel this toxic chemical burning  in my nose and throat, had to wash her to make it go away. What is Hasbro doing? I wonder if all 4 gens smelled like that fresh outta the package?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:58:33 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 07:19:11 AM »
I go with the general "just dont lick them" kind of angle.

I think this applies to every aspect of daily life!! If only my 5-year-old would listen  :blink:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 02:55:29 PM »
I go with the general "just dont lick them" kind of angle.

I think this applies to every aspect of daily life!! If only my 5-year-old would listen  :blink:

I am 34 and I forget this rule...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
What a coincidence. An hour ago I rode my bike to the store, and on the way I passed by the railroad museum. A kid from one of the nearby apartments (one over the businesses downtown) had their toys on the brick platform behind the depot, including 2 equine toys. One of which was a big brother! It looked like 4 Speed (I didn't want to stop and get a good look :P ).  I think my sister's daughter has some G1's too.
 That's something you really wouldn't expect from G1's, but I guess it's possible.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
I dunno about the science side of it.. but in my opinion, as long as it's not a rare/Nirvana pony and the kid isn't chewing and/or licking them.. sure, why not. :)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
I (have no way to prove it, but) really feel like the "toxic G1" thing was something that was started by a collector somewhere that was just trying to guilt ponies out of a friend that wanted their kids to play with their same childhood ponies. 

I'm more inclined to believe it's overly cautious charity/thrift/second hand stores that would have started this. When I volunteered at a charity shop, we weren't allowed to sell clothing that had had the labels stating the fabric content cut out as if someone had an allergic reaction they could sue (though if you have allergies you're not going to be buying things where you're unsure of the materials but I digress). There are fewer toys in these shops than there used to be, and those that are there are often either still packaged, or are new stock. It wouldn't surprise me if this change is because they can't guarantee the safety of an old toy, especially one that is lacking the packaging stating a recommended age and that it conforms to current European (or wherever) standards of safety, and don't want to be liable. So whilst it might only be a precaution, it wouldn't be difficult for someone to misinterpret "this could present a hazard" to "It's toxic it's going to kill us all" :lol:

I think just use your judgement, but bear in mind that these are 20-30 year old toys, and the materials will have begun to degrade even if it's not visible yet, so I prolly wouldn't give an old toy to a young child or one prone to sucking or chewing on toys.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
I don't worry about G1 ponies unless plasticizer is actively leaking. Then, just wash them and its fine.

I worry more about G3s, because a lot of them fall in a period of time where companies began to use more toxic materials, and before there was legislation restricting that. So if a G3 starts leaking plasticizer, I start to consider throwing it out (but this has never been a problem for me except for the Divine Shines, which get tacky).

Realistically, there probably is no problem unless the kid is chewing on them. I just err on the side of caution.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal