collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bidders pushing the price up on ebay  (Read 1324 times)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Bidders pushing the price up on ebay
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 01:16:57 AM »
I agree with doxiechic -- that definitely happens a lot, people putting in a high max bid to ensure they get their fave item, especially when it jumps massively at the last second!

LadyMoonbeam I agree as well, I did that when I first started on ebay before I learned about sniping.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

All these bids were made in under 2 minutes - some as close as 4 seconds.  Is it even possible to increase your max bid that fast?  It's pretty unlikely that for those 2 minutes, a dozen other bids were made by others forcing the auto bid increments up.

But then the next bid above says 12:33, so their bid must have been entered 10 mins before the 12-in-a-row...

Guuuuh.  Who knows.

No, that looks like actual bids that someone sat there and made one after the other.  EBay has a note just above the bidder list that says

Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends.

and a link to the side to "Show automatic bids."  If you click on the link you'll see the those bids, but they'll be grayed out and don't count toward the total number of bids.

Does 'automatic bids' mean like, if you use a sniper program?  (I do that sometimes if the auction ends at 3am or during work.)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 05:16:00 AM »
It might be sus and in some cases it really does happen where one person is pushing up the price. You can check the percentage a certain buyer bids on a certain sellers items - that helps show shill bidding. ( I found one that *only* ever bid on the same persons items , so the percentage was 100% for that seller  )   but in this case it looks like  the bidder was trying to see gradually what the highest bid the other person had gone to- the other person (1***s)  made their bid at an earlier time and outbid that person (y***I) . they prolly didn't want to go that high but then decided that they really wanted to win hence the two bids at the end - the last one is that person increasing their max bid again incase someone else tried to snipe them at the end. :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »

All these bids were made in under 2 minutes - some as close as 4 seconds.  Is it even possible to increase your max bid that fast?  It's pretty unlikely that for those 2 minutes, a dozen other bids were made by others forcing the auto bid increments up.

But then the next bid above says 12:33, so their bid must have been entered 10 mins before the 12-in-a-row...

Guuuuh.  Who knows.

Yes, it's possible.  Once you've entered your initial bid, a button appears to increase your max bid with one click.  That allows you to bid several times very quickly.

No, that looks like actual bids that someone sat there and made one after the other.  EBay has a note just above the bidder list that says

Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends.

and a link to the side to "Show automatic bids."  If you click on the link you'll see the those bids, but they'll be grayed out and don't count toward the total number of bids.

Does 'automatic bids' mean like, if you use a sniper program?  (I do that sometimes if the auction ends at 3am or during work.)

No, automatic bids are the ones eBay places for you up to the maximum bid you entered. 

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal