collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ok... I have to ask....  (Read 29812 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ok... I have to ask....
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
We really could do with a list O.O.

I know that in the UK there are a lot of weird hybrids floating around with either mismatched Princess parts, like this:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

or Happytail parts, or a mix of the two. Sel (Reaperfox) was the first to flag those up and she has a bunch of them, but the one most people think of is Bobbie:

I know there are painted Seaside Babies, which Rainbow Magic had (I don't know if she still does?) but I don't think I've seen them IRL. I know LadyG has, though. Obviously we also know about at least 3 painted Schooltime ponies as well.

The two Best Friends Babies are a bit more of a...we don't really know whether they are prototypes or not. They look pretty finished to me. LadyG has Baby Billie in Ember's pose:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/baby_billie.htm
and I have Baby Susie in Baby Blossom's pose.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/baby_susie.htm
 Other than the pose variation, they are pretty much the same as the original issue ones, so we thought they might be an alt release somewhere, but no country has claimed them so we're still bemused by what they are. There might be two Baby Billies, we're not certain. Nobody's ever seen a Baby Katie, either.

This is just for the stuff found in the UK though. I have no idea what other stuff might be out there or where.

Ember, in the interests of full and thorough information, I've done some pictures of my two NC UK release Sundances in the shy pose, so you can see the comparison. As you'll see, the country of manufacturer has been taken out on the hooves, but they are slightly different shades of colour in hair/symbol between editions.  I'll post the links since the images are big.

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/meganandsundance_uk_1.jpg
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/meganandsundance_uk_2.jpg
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/meganandsundance_uk_symbols.jpg
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/meganandsundance_uk_tails.jpg

The hair quality on your pony is imo much better quality than any of the actually released UK ones. I don't suppose they would use better quality hair on the proto and then use cheaper materials for the real thing, and, since she's made in HK, where I believe the US Sundances were all made, it seems more logical that, if she is a prototype, she originated there :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2015, 11:18:49 AM »

I agree.. My sundance proto is most likely  US originated.. With all the evidence you have presented I think its only logical that she was made there.
I think my sun sparkler MGR was found in the UK to if I am not mistaken? Should she be added to your UK list?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:30:22 AM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
I agree.. My sundance is most likely  US originated.. With all the evidence you have presented I think its only logical that she was made there.
I think my sun sparkler MGR was found in the UK to if I am not mistaken? Should she be added to your UK list?
In all honesty, all I know about your Sunsparkler is that she is stunning xD. I don't know where she was found, so I can't really comment on it. I am confused by her in some ways, because Sunny Bunch was sold and promoted here in her normal pose, but Sparkler was NOT sold here, and nor was Diamond Dreams. So...?

She is an awesome pony though. For that reason alone, maybe I'll add her on the UK list ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »
The hair on painting time is also quite lovely.. So I would like to note that she has exceptional quality hair too.. IT is MLP hair but its just excellent.

Post Merge: March 22, 2015, 11:32:05 AM

I think sun sparkler might just be an alternate pose sunnybunch? After all she has her color scheme.. Ill see if I can dig up her old thread for you.

My post:
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=344025.0

for sale post:
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=337482.0

And the original post when she was found:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,336974.msg890621.html#msg890621
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:42:41 AM by Ember1 »
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »
Wow. You did a lot of work on restoring her, considering her condition O.o. Obviously she was played with by kids, judging by all the ink. And, if they gave her their own name, it also suggests she maybe didn't have a proper issue name. Which might imply an employee got her as a freebee and took her home for their kids to play with, without packaging or anything of that ilk?

I don't know anything at all about why she might have been like that, since, like Susie and Billie, she seems properly finished for issue, but Sunny Bunch's name is floral, and so is her cape...and while I THINK Sunny Bunch was used as a poster pony on packages in that year in the UK, she was always as you would expect.

Her provenance is a bit like my Baby Susie. Sold on UK ebay without any fanfare, yet something completely impossible to explain. My only suggestion is that it connects to us not having the diamond pose MGR ponies in the UK, and whether this was a test to decide whether or not to go for it. I got very annoyed with Hasbro when I discovered how many sets in the US with 6 ponies the UK only got 4 of, so it seems weird to me that they'd do this with a pose we never had unless it was a trial or they ran out of the right colours for Sparkler/DD and so used Sunny Bunch colours instead and she got pulled off the manufacture trolley as a "defective" pony because she wasn't standard. An employee might have claimed her in those circs, too.

She is a mystery for sure, and proves there's a lot we still don't know about Hasbro's mind during MLP production.
Is she missing eyelashes or was that a consequence of her previous punk lifestyle?

You're lucky to have her, though :).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:49:17 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
She was always missing eye lashes Taffeta.. That was the weird thing. She does not have any trace whatsoever of ever having had them.
Here is the original post where she was found in a UK lot :)

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,336974.msg890621.html#msg890621

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:55:22 AM by Ember1 »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
This is where I admit that my Diamond Dreams came from a UK car boot sale before I was online and knew what the heck to call her, because she wasn't ever sold here ;)

Ponies really do travel. But I think she probably is legit UK. I can't explain her, but I guess she probably does belong on the UK list. And I should probably add a footnote to Sunnybunch's page about her on my site ><.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
I just checked the old UK auction and sunsparkler came from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
And, if they gave her their own name, it also suggests she maybe didn't have a proper issue name.

Maybe. In general just because a pony has an official name, doesn't mean all kids gave their ponies that name. Kids could name a pony a different name if they did not like the official name, or maybe got the pony second hand with no knowledge of their name.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »

This is of course, true, but since so much was made of the ponies, their names etc in the comic as well as on the card, it would be more likely I think that they would know the pony's real name.

Mind you, that pony was quite badly treated all round, and we can't know if that happened at her original hone.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:44:37 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
I guess I was a strange child, along with my childhood bestfriend. We didn't follow Hasbro's suggested names or stories for all of our ponies. (Some of them we did). I never saw G1 ponies as something that had to follow what Hasbro suggested the characters to be.

But yeah. I was hardly influenced by the cards because I only remember Bunny hops. And my video store had some VHS tapes, but I hated them. And we didn't have comics here. So I dunno...

It's likely she didn't have an official name... but there's nothing saying that whomever came up with her concept didn't come up with a name for her to go along with her design. Names are important in character design, I believe. It's one of those things that won't be known.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »
Taffeta - a list is needed! the nirvana gallery has almost all the princess and happy tails variants in :) there is a list the ponies that are missing (at least the ones we know about)

There is also the resin Baby Explorer :) I believe we were able to trace her to her back card picture :) she was found by Lancer at a car boot sale if I remember correctly. There are some threads on her in the archive.

I need to dig up the thread on Painting Time that is in the archive :)

I can well imagine poor tormented parents being driven to creating customs of ponies that were shown in the comics and film, but were never released here.

The quaility of the NC ponies is different to the HK ponies :) the NC ponies aren't quite as consistent as the HK ponies and with all nirvana ponies often paint, the plastic and hair can have unique qualities :) this would suggest that CP Sundance isn't from the same stable as standard UK release Sundance so to speak.

As for Blackpool it seems like I'm probably the most qualified to talk about it. Its a seaside town in the north west of the uk and a popular holiday destinations. There us the peir, the front, the beach, donkey's,  arcades, the tower and ball room. I could go on. Each year in the autumn a huge display of lights is put down the front and the displays are themed. I never saw the illuminations as a child, but my partner did and he loved the Dr Who and Ghostbusters lights.

Back to ponies :blush: Babydoll I remember that lot, where you bidding?  I didn't know the auction got pulled, I thought it had run it's course :(

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2015, 03:42:41 AM »
Back to ponies :blush: Babydoll I remember that lot, where you bidding?  I didn't know the auction got pulled, I thought it had run it's course :(

Love pkw xxx

Yes Im pretty sure it was as I was bidding & Id also set up a snipe too! :ninja: Im pretty sure the auction was meant to run for a week but ended after a day or two, I asked the seller if they would be relisting but they said that they were no longer for sale. :huh: I'm pretty sure I saved the auction pic on my old iPad so shall have a hunt for it. ;)

ETA: Found it, would love to know who the purple baby is, I can't make out the symbol:

Close ups of the two that may be prototypes:

Babydoll~
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:59:32 AM by Babydoll »

Offline gemgemrosettes

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Rosette maker & G1 Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2015, 04:09:13 AM »
I've been watching this thread with some interest and just wanted to throw in some food for thought.
To me she looks like an alternate January birthflower.
They are more commonly found in Europe so would make sense as that is where she came from. Although that would probably point to her seller not being truthful about her origins and I really don't want to be throwing accusations around but thought I would share my thought patterns with you.
Here are some close ups of the eyes shown side by side. They look the same to me.

It would a very easy customisation to do and the tail washer could just have been replaced as it had rusted etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal