collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ok... I have to ask....  (Read 29835 times)

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ok... I have to ask....
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
I can also help translate Takara pamphlets (I speak Japanese ^^)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
Ugh.. though I am pretty convinced of this pony.. A few others in the community don't seem so sure. She is not even being put
on the oddball list which doesn't make me feel to good about spending so much on a pony that isn't considered real by some of the
members here.. So question.. Should I be sending her back?  What would you guys do?
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
Though this may harm the pony..here's a thought.  To confirm whether her eyes are painted over or not, maybe try to scratch one small part of the iris?  If there's no purple under there, then that's one more clue that she could be real and not a customized birthflower.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »
Ugh.. though I am pretty convinced of this pony.. A few others in the community don't seem so sure. She is not even being put
on the oddball list which doesn't make me feel to good about spending so much on a pony that isn't considered real by some of the
members here.. So question.. Should I be sending her back?  What would you guys do?
Well, my input isn't worth much as I wouldn't have that much money to spend on a pony (unless I didn't eat or pay utilities for a month) BUT if you think there is a strong chance that she is real, I think she would be better off in a collector's hands than in a sketchy Ebay seller's hands. Even if she is just a "mystery pony." Just my opinion, though.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »
I don't think you should send her back and get a refund for a pony you bought on good faith.  You bought her on only the word of the person you bought her from, without having her authenticity vetted as much as possible by other members of the community, and you took the gamble on her being a "fake." 

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
I don't think that it ought to matter what other people think. If you like the pony, you believe in the pony, and you think she's real, then that's what matters. None of us can ever prove, probably, one way or another whether she is or isn't real. Everyone will have their opinions regardless.

Think of it this way. What if, in five years, we discover that CP Sundance was real and you sent it back? Will you regret it?

I don't know what to think of her, and I'd rather have seen her before making a judgement either way, but I have ponies I've kept because I've not been 100% sure either way. True, I've never bought a pony for that much money, but sometimes you have to go with your own instinct.

Ponies are there to make us happy, they're not there for any other reason. If Sundance makes you happy, then that's the thing that's important.

Nothing else is.

I was talking to Lady G about this the other night, actually, but I have a Bluebelle whose head is different from her body. When I got her, people said she was a fake. Now she's on the Arena gallery (albeit another one, not mine) and there are more like her out there, but at the time I bought it, everyone dismissed her and some even laughed that I'd bought her.

I have no idea what her value is now she's accepted as 'real', but she's mine so I won't be selling her and it doesn't matter. I like her as she is :)

Remember, there's a lot of things we don't know.

I can't say "Sundance IS DEFINITELY REAL". I'm not sure if she is or not at the moment. But that uncertainty is true of all of us. This whole thread has been an investigation. That's the thing that makes MLP still interesting for me :) The things we still don't know.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:05:19 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »
I agree with Ringwraith. Its still fairly early and you haven't had her too long. I would hold on to her, since there is still a debate about her authenticity. If she is not a custom, I would personally feel horrible to have given her up. Her factory rooted mane is proof enough for me, and her similarities to Painting Time.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
I agree with Ringwraith. Its still fairly early and you haven't had her too long. I would hold on to her, since there is still a debate about her authenticity. If she is not a custom, I would personally feel horrible to have given her up. Her factory rooted mane is proof enough for me, and her similarities to Painting Time.

If it were me, I would personally keep her.  You bought her on good faith.  She's lovely, and we don't know that she is not real.  She very well may be, and you don't want to regret it later on if you let her go and she is proven legit.  I also feel her similarities to Painting Time are striking and convincing.

Ponies are there to make us happy, they're not there for any other reason. If Sundance makes you happy, then that's the thing that's important.

Nothing else is.

This!!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 01:12:14 PM by princessluna11706 »

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2015, 01:07:51 PM »
I don't think you should send her back and get a refund for a pony you bought on good faith.  You bought her on only the word of the person you bought her from, without having her authenticity vetted as much as possible by other members of the community, and you took the gamble on her being a "fake." 
Yes, this too. I was trying to think of a way to phrase this. The seller probably wouldn't be happy that you paid that much money and then asked for a refund (and if she really didn't know that the pony would sell for that much, she's probably taken an impromptu vacation in the Bahamas by now!).

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2015, 01:28:28 PM »
Guys.. heres this thing.. She wasn't advertised as a custom and I asked the seller before buying her if she was authentic.. I can see if I bought the pony for $100 but we are talking about $1500. If I sold a pony on ebay and the person had reasonable concerns about authenticity  I would certainly understand them asking for their money back. In this case, there seems to be a lot of skepticism on this thread such as the symbols being painted and such. I feel very uneasy about keeping her.. I feel very uneasy about sending her back. I have sent ponies back before that I have "bought in good faith" once discovered that they were faked and have always gotten my money back. One example of this is the colombian applejack baby first tooth. Regardless I really need to evaluate this as this was an awful lot of money for a pony that according to some, might not even be real. I am very torn.

I also dont think people using ebay to buy things are "gambling" as that is why there is buyer protection. I bought her in the confidence  knowing that if their was something fishy i could send her back.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:07:38 PM by Ember1 »
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »
Remember, piggies were concidered fakies for a long time, too! I have a hard time believing someone would customize an alt birth flower, and the big tell for me is her factory woven hair that is longer than the birth flowers have. 

If she were customized from a birth flower, how would she have gotten longer hair with the factory weave?
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline angelponies

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2015, 02:10:29 PM »
With all the Ooak oddballs popping up out of the woodwork, I would keep her! I think that she is a prototype and not a custom, from the way you describe her. I had a few oddballs as you know, Mexico blue Prince, some people questioned him at first but he was blue through and through and had a silver medallion on his bum :satisfied: Only one like him found, how did he get like that? Then I have a Prototype/oddball So Soft Gusty she has blue eyes, I have never seen (and I have been looking) another So Soft Gusty with blue eyes, she came with that Posey with the oddly painted eyes over her flocking, looked weird! And her hair was yellow, it was definitely factory and the gal who sold them to me was the same lady that sold that BBE Sunlight! There are all sorts of oddities found and being found :satisfied:  I vote Proto/oddball like the rest that have been popping up as OOAK ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:14:59 PM by angelponies »

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
One thing that concerns me is that on paintingtime"s neck inside i found a number in ba relief on the plastic. I dont see a number on sundances neck.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2015, 02:19:22 PM »
The thing is, even if you apply rational logic to the situation, the fact is that we're dealing with 1980s Hasbro.

And, while it would be nice to think of things in logic, when things like this can happen:

Or in fact, any of this:
http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/taffeta/weirdintro.html
(this page is SO old, sorry for the ads but it won't let me direct link and I haven't fixed that section of my site yet)

Then we quickly realise...

THERE IS NO LOGIC.

There are only ponies >.>.

And us. Going slowly madder, one hoofprint at a time...

I actually don't put a lot of stock in her comparison to Paintingtime. I'd be more worried about them being too similar, being that they are so distant in terms of age and probable nationality.

If you're really unsure, maybe try the risk of testing her eye and seeing if you think it's been painted over. It might leave a scuff on the eye, but if it's not painted over, then I imagine you;ll feel a lot better.

Alt Jan has lavender eyes, I believe...

I have to confess, though, I'm more intrigued by who Paintingtime's body was before she was used as a 3D canvas, because there are no pink ponies of that pose made in HK in the UK at that time that I can think of...which makes me wonder whether Paintingtime is actually two prototypes in one or if it's just that her body paint has stained through the plastic to the point she now looks pink.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:22:20 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
This is so difficult  -_- ponies can bring such happiness, but also extreme heartache all at the same time.

On looking at the posts in this thread around 3/4 of the posters think she is authentic. That is a fact.

The list is there for the community and is a work in progress. Our knowledge about ponies is still changing and as a community we do not have any set definitions as to what counts as "prototype".

I am very torn as to what I believe about CP Sundance and what makes is hard for me is not being able to get a "feel" for her: that being able to hold her in my hands. I am also very much a facts based person and I dearly wish we had a paper trail of some sort. I have spent hours this last week watching all the commercials I can find and looking at all the leaflets and other paper work available to see if I can spot any of the known "prototypes" that are currently known about.

As others have said many nirvana's in the past were considered to be fakes until proven other wise. However the reverse may also be true. Sadly faked and repaired ponies have tainted the market and sometimes it is hard to be clear on what is what. I personally have always erred on the side of caution.

I have found myself in similar positions (what appeared to be a fake turned out to be real, and what was real turned out to be fake) in the past, however not half as much money was involved. The fact she cost such a pretty penny is bound to only increase anxiety.

Ember only you know how you feel about Sundance, you have to follow your heart regardless of what anyone else says.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal