collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: In G4 Why do the girls have bird beaks and the boys have equine muzzles?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: In G4 Why do the girls have bird beaks and the boys have equine muzzles?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
I know that Dream Beauties are officially part of the line, but I dont really consider them *real* mlp in the same way I don't consider lil' puppies and lil' kitties My Little Pony.  Officially part of the line, but really it's own offshoot line.  Like Equestria Girls.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
Sometimes stylizing things doesn't make sense to a lot of us... Just from reading up to this point got me thinking about something that is with the style of the ponies... They are really more closer to human faces so the animators can get more mouth expressions.. I had to look at one of my pop ponies and a deconstructed Design a Pony to really notice this fact and for it to explain why say Twilight can get an insanity grin on her face.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 03:32:27 PM »
I think as others have mentioned it all has to be put in perspective of it being a cartoon and a kids cartoon about talking multi coloured animals at that...reality I sense is not what its going for. :P Clear definition between male and female is important when it comes to making a mass market cartoon for such an age group. You want and need an ease of understanding. The simpler the better; as cartoons for 3 to 6 year olds dont want to have to explain themselves, they just want and need to be obvious. It is maybe a little too simple for us as adults of course but the easiest way to do that is to focus on physical stereotypes - in this case "men being bigger and more angular" and "women being smaller and curvier".

In addition the big eyes and small features are just a reflection of popular current styles. As others have mentioned you can see it in Disney's evolution most apparently - moving from small eyes and undefined features to overly large eyes and overly defined features. 50 years in the future no doubt things will look different because of what is popular and stylish and what is considered appealing then.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 06:45:51 PM »
Part of the reason for their little beaky mouths and the very different body types and faces on the males (you'll notice a lot of variety in them, both in the face and body) is that female characters have a lot of pressure (from a design perspective) to be 'cute' and that really restricts the differences you can do with them, if that's the only thing you're aiming for.

That's why it's so unusual to see comicbook and disney type girls with difference faces other than hairstyle and colouring. Rarely are there grecian noses, chubbier faces, square jaws, etc.

Makes for an easy and consistent toy mold tho'
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 11:22:49 PM »
Basically common thing in animation (like look at a lot of Disney princesses or at least the more modern ones) is that female characters will look cute, so big eyes, little nose and often generally look really petite. And generally have to sometimes look pretty over distinctive design and character. Also I think they've sort of cashed in on the sort of anime inspired 'chibi' look as well as that's sort of slipped into a lot of toys as well in recent years.  You'll find a lot about this stuff if you look it up.

And yeah when it comes to kids cartoons gender differences can be really played up, it's a common thing like if you need to show a character is a girl and they're not human expect things like adding big eyelashes, hair accessories etc so there's like the visual shorthand of 'yes this is a girl'

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 03:29:32 AM »
Yeah, it's almost like they were going for a more ~*anime desu*~ look.
I can safely say they weren't.

In fact to me, they don't even look even vaguely anime like (I assume we are using the term "anime" the way we do here; to mean "a Japanese cartoon"?)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 06:10:15 AM »
oh well to each their own
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 07:11:32 AM »
Hope I didn't come across as harsh.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »

In fact to me, they don't even look even vaguely anime like (I assume we are using the term "anime" the way we do here; to mean "a Japanese cartoon"?)

I agree :)
Its refreshing to see someone else doesn't think so.

I think whispers response was in general she doesn't like the g4 girl look, and hasn't gotten an answer that changes her mind.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
I think they look cute... as long as it's not like some of the early art where the noses are actually pointy. That looks a bit odd.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 08:40:44 AM »

I agree :)
Its refreshing to see someone else doesn't think so.

I think whispers response was in general she doesn't like the g4 girl look, and hasn't gotten an answer that changes her mind.

I'm definitely not seeing the anime look either.

I believe the other potential reasons that have been stated are good, so I have nothing to add. It's just that when someone blantantly dislikes something, it's hard to change their mind, even if your answer seems logical. *shrugs*
Instagram / Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal