collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfaders…what do you use?  (Read 991 times)

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfaders…what do you use?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
Ok Cherry Treats is covered in tin foil with only the spots to be faded exposed.  She starts her treatment tomorrow when the sun rises.  I'll let everyone know how she turns out.  ;)

Offline Henpatch

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 02:45:47 AM »
Good luck!
I have sun-faded quite a few ponies with great success ( I live in Queensland - the"Sunshine" state! - too easy!)
I do wrap the pony in alfoil and just leave the area with the marks exposed. As we have a lot of strong sunshine.....I try to keep the ponies until winter when the sun isn't so strong. I had a cotton candy with some marker pen on her side.....I didn't wrap her as I was going to keep a close eye on her.....I forgot her!!!!!! She is now nearly white on one side and pink the other! The grandsons don't mind.....they happily play with her as well as various other MLPs. Being boys the ponies get rough treatment....seung by their tail, galloped all over the tiled floor, stuffed into trains, cars, whatever!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my lovely Jumble pony

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 03:47:13 AM »
I used blue painters tape, and it left stains everywhere on the white ponies. I think it's because we had a very damp summer, but it scared me off blue painters tape (for sunfading) for good.

I've been meaning to ask, to those who paint over the symbols: what specific kind of paint to you use?
I'll put something here some time

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »
I used blue painters tape, and it left stains everywhere on the white ponies. I think it's because we had a very damp summer, but it scared me off blue painters tape (for sunfading) for good.

I've been meaning to ask, to those who paint over the symbols: what specific kind of paint to you use?

How much of the tape did you use? Like all over the pony or did only a small amount bleed out? I don't intend to cover an entire pony with it.  If anything scares me more than masking/painter's tape it's paint. From what I've read they use acrylic paint but not too long ago someone had trouble getting it off their pony.

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 06:53:09 AM »
I just put the tape around the places I am fading and wrap the rest of the pony in doubled up white paper towels.  The tape holds the paper towel in place.  This way I can control what I want to expose for fading.
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »

How much of the tape did you use? Like all over the pony or did only a small amount bleed out? I don't intend to cover an entire pony with it.  If anything scares me more than masking/painter's tape it's paint. From what I've read they use acrylic paint but not too long ago someone had trouble getting it off their pony.

I actually did cover almost all of the pony - it was the Birthday pony, with symbols all over the body, and I only needed to fade a few certain spots. I had the same fear of paint you had.

Edit: I was worried about aluminum foil, too; I read that sometimes (rarely, I think) a white pony can be burned when "cooked" in foil. I figured, Heck, painter's tape is made to come off easily, I'll use that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:49:51 AM by NoPonySpecial »
I'll put something here some time

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »

Just a basic white acrylic. If you are ever worried about it put the paint you intend to use on any plastic you dont mind getting damaged, wait a couple of days and make sure it just washes off :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal