collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non MLP ebay transaction; what feedback to leave?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Prixton

• Trade Count: (+356)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Non MLP ebay transaction; what feedback to leave?
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
I recently bought a leather Kate Spade bag on eBay. I'd been looking for this style of bag for a while, so I had a pretty good idea of how much they've been selling for. Well, a couple weeks ago I saw a buy-it-now for this bag which had just been listed. The pictures weren't great. The description said it was "in great shape, only used a couple of times, purchased brand new at kate spade store in NYC." The BIN price was pretty low; about 30-40% lower than the bag usually sells for.

I did not see the detachable crossbody strap that was originally included with the bag, but I've noticed that many sellers of this particular bag often do not show it in the pictures; sometimes they mention in the description that it is or is not included, other times I have asked about it (and curious enough, even though many sellers do not picture it or mention it in the description, when I've asked, it usually is included). I wanted to ask the seller, but because it was a just-listed BIN at a great price I didn't want to risk waiting for a response, so I went for it. I figured that if this person really did buy it brand new from the store they would have the strap, or at least know that it came with one and therefore would've mentioned if it wasn't included in the description.

Well, not only did the bag arrive without the strap, but it has several stains on the exterior leather as well! There are dark stains ranging from 1/2 inch to 1.5 inches long both on the front and back of the bag, and a long scratch in the leather on the base. None of them are visible in the auction pics (they are blurry and poorly lit). I used my leather cleaner to try to remove the stains but they won't come off. As if that weren't bad enough, the inside of the bag was very dirty -- there were even many crumpled up old "to do" lists and gum wrappers in the pockets!

I went to leave neutral feedback, but a little thing popped up before I submitted it saying "please try to contact seller to resolve the issue before leaving neutral feedback." So, I contacted the seller and explained everything. The seller was very defensive, said she didn't notice any stains (I'm sorry but they're pretty obvious, and with a leather kate spade bag you should definitely give it a good look before selling on eBay and stating its in great condition!). She said she knew the crossbody strap was missing but "since it wasn't pictured it didn't need to be mentioned in the description." Lastly, she said since the purchase price was so low, I should just be happy with it and that she wouldn't do anything further.

I'm a bit frustrated; the price /was/ great but if the stains had been clearly pictured and/or mentioned I probably wouldn't have bought it. Ditto for the strap; at first I thought "maybe somehow she forgot it originally came with the strap?" But in her response she clearly admitted that she knew it was supposed to have the strap, she just didn't think it needed to be mentioned.

I am an occasional seller on eBay myself, so I know how annoying neutrals can be, and I don't take it lightly when I consider leaving one. What do you think, does this warrant a neutral, or just a positive with a comment about inaccurate description, had stains, etc?

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Non MLP ebay transaction; what feedback to leave?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »
Personally I would return it for a refund and not leave feedback at all.  I don't think you can fault a seller for not including something that isn't shown and wasn't mentioned at all (like assuming that I'll be getting a pony's accessories when the auction shows only a pony in the picture), but not mentioning significant staining is a deal breaker. 

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »
I completely agree with Skeen. The staining is and what should be focused on as the issue. If you can live with it for the price then I would say to continue with your neutral, mentioning the staining. If you can't then most definitely open a case for item not as described and let them know you would like to return it for a refund.  She has to honor the return with a refund upon her receiving it back. The excuse that is was priced right is really not a valid excuse to me, when there was no mention of the stains, nor a picture depicting them.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »
I agree. I would return it for a refund. It sounds like she has poor customer service as a seller and shouldn't be selling in the first place, either. If you're not happy with the item, her response should not be to be defensive, it should be "what can I do to make this a positive experience for my buyer?"

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 05:18:06 AM »
I agree with everyone else's  advice here too - the stains not being mentioned etc and the nasty stuff inside - thats a no no.  I don't think I can add anything to what the others already told you but I'm sorry you had such a disappointment with this bag :hug:  please let us know how it goes

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:12:11 AM »
Am I the only one who got the heebie jeebies about the garbage at the bottom of the bag? Groooooosssssssssssss.

In agreement with above--I would open a case to return it with a refund as the item was not as described.

Offline Prixton

• Trade Count: (+356)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »
Thanks very much for your advice everyone. I've decided I don't want to deal with the hassle (and cost) of returning it. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't crazy expensive (more like a mountain boy than an alt birth flower, lol), but it is large so shipping would be pricy. It isn't as nice as I wanted for say, a night out on the town, but maybe I can use it for work or days when I don't want to fuss over a fancy bag.

As advised, I'll go ahead with the neutral; not mentioning the strap, just the staining. Thanks again!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »
Am I the only one who got the heebie jeebies about the garbage at the bottom of the bag? Groooooosssssssssssss.

In agreement with above--I would open a case to return it with a refund as the item was not as described.

Nope. Return and get a refund. If she's willing to intentionally omit things and lie to your face then she knows she did wrong. Keep all the emails too in case she doesn't wanna refund you
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 06:35:29 AM »
I thought that was really gross too! I mean what kinda person wouldn't check first to make sure it was empty before selling/shipping it to someone else? Ick!!  :yikes: :crazy:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »
Heck with the neutral. I'd leave a negative if I didn't just return it. It sounds disgusting. Who leaves trash in a purse when selling it!? Lazy. And not showing/mentioning the stains. No one should have to deal with a seller like that so I think other people should be warned.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal