collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Antique (composition maybe?) Doll, help pretty please  (Read 552 times)

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Antique (composition maybe?) Doll, help pretty please
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
My mother died recently and while sorting through the house I found this doll. I know nothing about it and don't even know if it was my mother's or my grandmother's from when one of them was a child. She is in rough shape and I want to make her some new clothes as the ones she is wearing are horribly yellowed. She has some pain peeling on her tummy, is there anything I can do for this or should I just leave it be? I would love if anyone could tell me a bit about her as I am pretty clueless. Thanks in advance!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Antique (composition maybe?) Doll, help pretty please
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mom.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »
She's a dime-store composition baby doll.  There were a lot of different makers for these little dolls, and the manufacturers and factories that produced them have been pretty much lost to time.  Her tin eyes says she is an earlier composition doll, probably early 1930's. 

She's not in real bad condition, fairly good for a doll that's never been in a 'collection environment.'  I wouldn't worry about her belly, that is all going to be covered by her clothes, and since it's not peeling or anything, I doubt it's going to go anywhere.  Just know with composition, it requires a stable environment that isn't too humid, too hot, too cold, not in too much sunlight, etc, etc. 

There's a good section on ebay for antique and vintage clothes under Dolls and Bears > Dolls > Clothes and Accessories > Vintage and Antique. 

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
She's actually rather cute.  It's always nice to have parents/grandparents toys around to remind us that they were children too.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
She's a dime-store composition baby doll.  There were a lot of different makers for these little dolls, and the manufacturers and factories that produced them have been pretty much lost to time.  Her tin eyes says she is an earlier composition doll, probably early 1930's. 

She's not in real bad condition, fairly good for a doll that's never been in a 'collection environment.'  I wouldn't worry about her belly, that is all going to be covered by her clothes, and since it's not peeling or anything, I doubt it's going to go anywhere.  Just know with composition, it requires a stable environment that isn't too humid, too hot, too cold, not in too much sunlight, etc, etc. 

There's a good section on ebay for antique and vintage clothes under Dolls and Bears > Dolls > Clothes and Accessories > Vintage and Antique. 

Thanks so much! I suspected the general age range and material, but do not know much about antique dolls. I am so proud to now own her.

She's actually rather cute.  It's always nice to have parents/grandparents toys around to remind us that they were children too.

Yes I think she is adorable, and she got me interested in antique dolls. I may end up with a few more eventually.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal