collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular pony opinions!  (Read 36376 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular pony opinions!
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »
I like ponies with gimmicks, except when those gimmicks require batteries :V

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
I think it's fair to say entitlement is an overwhelming part of brony culture as a whole...the first mean anon message I ever got after years on the site was after I made a post saying inappropriate content saturating the internet in a young child's fandom was bad. I was called a bunch of misogynistic slurs for it. Go figure.

I adore the show and rarely find shows that feel so safe and free of issues to indulge in. But with the culture..eugh. I had to take a long break and I still haven't watched it for several seasons, but I hope to go back soon! I am glad to find other fans who still can hold onto the good things despite all the bad trying to flood in.

And to stay on subject and avoid derailing the post, I'll add another unpopular opinion! Hmm. I think ponies mean a lot more when they are used. And I don't have any interest in buying new ones at all, even if I like a g4. :)

As for as other people being able to hold onto the good in G4/FiM, I actually have a few friends on Twitter who recently admitted they started watching it and really enjoy it, although they don't consider themselves to be bronies. I was glad to see that not everyone right now who realizes they like MLP feels that they HAVE to identify as a brony. I'm also grateful that the friend I have who DOES identify as a brony is more like the bronies I've seen here on the Arena, and not like bronies I've encountered elsewhere (such as the type you had unpleasant interactions with). I just hope that the unpleasant, self-entitled element in the FiM-specific fandom will move on soon and we'll be left with the decent people who just genuinely like MLP  :think:

I saw a few people mention above that they aren't fans of G4 Spike...I'm in on that club, too, lol. I hate how the ponies baby him, even if he IS a "baby" dragon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2015, 04:50:46 PM »
OH, speaking of Spike (and "fanfic fanon"), ha ha) . . . I don't like it when he's seriously shipped with Rarity, like when their relationship is presented as an actual romance.  In my eyes he's like a little boy who has a crush on his school teacher or a little girl who says she's going to marry Wolverine.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
YAAAS. I always see him as a little brother figure who has a crush on his sister's friend. I feel like that's kind of how she treats him, too...like a friend's little brother who she knows has a crush on her, but she doesn't want to hurt his feelings, so she just doesn't address it seriously at all (and is also maybe a bit flattered by the attention, let's be real, this is Rarity we're talking about lol)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
Not sure how popular / unpopular these will be, but we'll give it a go:

I don't care how valuable / common the ponies in my collection are. I really only care about whether or not I like that particular pony.

I have absolutely no clue how to restore / fix issues with a vintage pony and I'm a bit nervous to try my hand at it. (I don't want to make something worse!)

I prefer buying my ponies new or trading for them and knowing what condition they are in. I'd love to love getting them from second hand shops, but because of #2, that doesn't always work out for me. (Got a Minty a few years back and discovered that something was rattling inside her. That creeped me out for some reason.)

Of course, all of these things are based on a lack of knowledge and may be prone to change. Only time will tell. :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »
Ah yes, and I love the pony bride pose, it looks elegant and dignified  ^.^

Also I don't get the hype for background ponies in the G4 show, I will like the have/see their toy versions but not sure why people get up in arms when the  fanfic they make is "ruined by Hasbro/or other people's opinion" mostly when the first time the pony appeared in the show witout spoken lines or personality
I can understand people caring about the background ponies enough to want to do something fanon related with them - in the pony world, it's not that far from give a storyline to a toy pony.  Also, I myself have found myself taking an interest to background characters in non-pony things.

However, I agree with you completely about people (usually bronies) being mad about Hasbro "ruining fanfics" because the whole idea that fanon/headcanon can be ruined is ludicrious - it doesn't stop being canon because Hasbro chose to do something else, it was never canon.  I fail to see why people can't just keep writing things the way they were going to, and only change things if they happen to like the "new canon" better. 

not sure what's extremely hilariours in Flutterbat 
I'm speaking 100% for myself here, but maybe they felt like Flutterbat was such a letdown, they want to try and make her more interesting?  I doubt it, but I have surprisingly enjoyed seeing some fan art of her, as they have shown she could have been better - if she hadn't been in (what I view as) a poorly planned episode, that couldn't decide if it wanted to be cool or to protect the target audience (ignoring the obvious fact there wasn't anything to protect them from).

That makes sence about Flutterbat, I  disliked that episode but I do hate Fili Vanilli even more

As far as headcanons and background characters are concerned, I've NEVER seen a fandom that has EVER been so attached to them. Like... everyone has their own tweaks to a fictional universe but some bronies are so entitled about their stupid fanon ideas that the FIM writers better not EVER dare write anything that soils it. Then they get all ticked off when it does happen. I don't get it... Most fans of most things are happy enough to just go on writing fanfics where X character never died or everyone is out of character even if it goes against the established canon without much fuss. Bronies? They have to throw hardcore internet tantrums about it. I knew a guy that loathed Shining Armor for the simple fact that it "ruined how he perceived and related to Twilight Sparkle". Another example would be DJ-Pon3's eye color. Some random artist colored her eyes red everyone liked it. Officially her eyes are like "Rainbow Dash" magenta. Some folks couldn't even let that slide without whining about it. A series is always going to write someting into it that rubs you the wrong way and it's okay get upset  or voice a negative opinion about it but you don't have to act like a three year old that's not getting what they want.

The only fandom I've seen worse with headcanon than this is the Vocaloid fandom. Literally nothing is canon about them, the company even saying that officially licensed comics about them are not canon either, leaving each individual to have their own ideas and to make personalities for the characters as they wish.(Which to me, is the fun of it.)

If you can imagine it, imagine an overly headcanon attached brony multiplied by about 3 and and you get a good portion of the Vocaloid fandom. And don't even get me started on the fights about their shipping headcanons...It's typically an internet bloodbath/free for all and you sort of have to dig to find nice places. That's the only case I ever see that's more ridiculous. Fighting about canon that doesn't even exist in the first place.

But yeah, I frequent this forum exactly because of all the entitlement on "brony-centric" ones. I fully admit I am only here for G4, but I completely understand that you previous gen people have been here A LOOOOOT longer and will be around a lot longer than most bronies ever will. Why cater to a group that's only sticking around in the short run? I get why they don't. They should be happy they've gotten everything that they have, like Funkos, 4DE, all the meme-shoutouts.

Wow sounds nasty  >_< some people have too mush free time

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2015, 09:47:07 PM »
Not sure how popular / unpopular these will be, but we'll give it a go:

I don't care how valuable / common the ponies in my collection are. I really only care about whether or not I like that particular pony.

I have absolutely no clue how to restore / fix issues with a vintage pony and I'm a bit nervous to try my hand at it. (I don't want to make something worse!)

I prefer buying my ponies new or trading for them and knowing what condition they are in. I'd love to love getting them from second hand shops, but because of #2, that doesn't always work out for me. (Got a Minty a few years back and discovered that something was rattling inside her. That creeped me out for some reason.)

Of course, all of these things are based on a lack of knowledge and may be prone to change. Only time will tell. :)

I've not even restored my first pony yet (I have plans for a few but I'm lazy) but doing LOTS of homework and even asking what seem like stupid questions here on the arena have helped give me a bit of confidence in my ability to fix up a sad-looking pre-loved pony. All of the advice I've seen say it's best to try it out on a pony or even fakie you don't care about or that is in really bad shape. You won't have much to loose if something bad happens. If all else fails and the base is still useable enough you could turn it into a custom bait for yourself or someone else. Personally I feel a lot less guilty if I could give a "beyond repair" bait a new lease on life as a custom as opposed to ripping up a perfectly good one. G4 ponies are probably the only exception because the same old characters have been rehashed to death and I'd feel no remorse using a perfectly good Pinkie Pie.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:33:11 PM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »
This made me think of another of mine. I like buying my g1 ponies already cleaned up and with hair styled. I will not buy a pony with messy hair and I pretty never have in my 13-14 years buying from Ebay. o_o

So in addition to that, I don't care at all about factory curl. If it's looking a mess it needs fixed up!

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Truly

« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2015, 04:00:50 AM »
I have another, and I'm guessing it's going to be very unpopular haha, but there's nothing that I hate more than hearing about and seeing extremely rough play.
I'm not talking about where a ponies hair guessed messed up or a little trimmed, no I mean where it's okay for the toy to get destroyed, to have a skipping rope tied around the ponies throat and smashing it into the tiles. I was brought up to take care of things that I have because we did not get much because we were very poor, and seeing kids that smash a robotic talking pony or an iPhone, a quadbike or anything boil my blood. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way, maybe I just don't like kids lol.
I don't even like hearing of what my mum did as a kid, sticking pins all through Barbie dolls, especially the eyes??? Yikes!
I know they're toys, and I think everyone should enjoy MLP both young and old, but the destruction is just.... Rrrggghhh!
I consider this an unpopular opinion as I know there is a lot of parents/families on here and I just don't like hearing of kids chewing/destroying g1 ponies to pieces, that's another g1 pony gone.... They're not made anymore, and kids can still enjoy mlp when they know not to eat it....

*getting reading to be annihilated by fakies*

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2015, 04:12:28 AM »
I have another, and I'm guessing it's going to be very unpopular haha, but there's nothing that I hate more than hearing about and seeing extremely rough play.
I'm not talking about where a ponies hair guessed messed up or a little trimmed, no I mean where it's okay for the toy to get destroyed, to have a skipping rope tied around the ponies throat and smashing it into the tiles. I was brought up to take care of things that I have because we did not get much because we were very poor, and seeing kids that smash a robotic talking pony or an iPhone, a quadbike or anything boil my blood. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way, maybe I just don't like kids lol.
I don't even like hearing of what my mum did as a kid, sticking pins all through Barbie dolls, especially the eyes??? Yikes!
I know they're toys, and I think everyone should enjoy MLP both young and old, but the destruction is just.... Rrrggghhh!
I consider this an unpopular opinion as I know there is a lot of parents/families on here and I just don't like hearing of kids chewing/destroying g1 ponies to pieces, that's another g1 pony gone.... They're not made anymore, and kids can still enjoy mlp when they know not to eat it....

I would have thought that was a POPULAR opinion :/  I know I feel the same way as you. My parents raised me to respect my belongings, not wreck them.
  I remember being apauled by other children doing that sort of thing when I was only little myself XD

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »
Spoiler

I would have thought that was a POPULAR opinion :/  I know I feel the same way as you. My parents raised me to respect my belongings, not wreck them.
  I remember being apauled by other children doing that sort of thing when I was only little myself XD

Yeah, I'd say that's a popular opinion? I never knew anyone growing up who played like this, and I've never seen kids play like how you described (except on Toy Story lol), so I'm not sure how common that kind of behavior really is.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:51 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that's a popular opinion? I never knew anyone growing up who played like this, and I've never seen kids play like how you described (except on Toy Story lol), so I'm not sure how common that kind of behavior really is.

I suppose it depends who you speak to - I've heard of and known children where their parents will just replace anything they break, so they never bother to take care of anything because why bother when they'll get a new one? There's a weird attitude from some parents towards rough play, too, as it's "Only playing and not hurting it" (this line usually precedes something being broken), even towards items belonging to another person - if the parents don't have respect for items, why would their children learn to have it? I personally had a few toys damaged or broken after I lent them to others as a child. I'm really selfish about my possessions now :lol:

I think it's because on one hand, they're your possessions to do as you want with, but on the other hand, please can you not? :lol:
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »

I suppose it depends who you speak to - I've heard of and known children where their parents will just replace anything they break, so they never bother to take care of anything because why bother when they'll get a new one? There's a weird attitude from some parents towards rough play, too, as it's "Only playing and not hurting it" (this line usually precedes something being broken), even towards items belonging to another person - if the parents don't have respect for items, why would their children learn to have it? I personally had a few toys damaged or broken after I lent them to others as a child. I'm really selfish about my possessions now :lol:

I think it's because on one hand, they're your possessions to do as you want with, but on the other hand, please can you not? :lol:

Oh geeze that drives me nuts. I flat out refuse to replace anything she's destroyed cuz she played with it to rough. Its one thing if its an accident, I was a clumsy kid who grew into a slightly less clumsy adult, but too rough and beyond repair? Nuh uh. You broke it, you can kiss it goodbye and no new toys for you for a while.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:40:12 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline CadePony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Obsessed with My Little Pony and Transformers
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
Not sure if this would be considered an unpopular opinion, but...

I really don't like the "beddy bye eyes" look on the G1 Ponies. The way those eyes look kind of disturb me.

Oh, and I don't like the looks of the G2 Ponies. I really don't find them all that appealing.

:heart: Thanks Nence for my adoptables in my sig and avatar!  :heart:

Offline kandipony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • "always dresses in style!"
    • View Profile
    • kandipony
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
I don't understand why people love nirvanas so much. especially the piggy ponies, I think they're so ugly! lol

like, I get that they're unique and rare and have different colors than their american counterparts but most of them just look so... blah! lol  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal