collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular pony opinions!  (Read 36123 times)

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular pony opinions!
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »
I think G1 got TOO gimmicky near the end of the line.  Lots of people seem to praise G1 for all the originality, but honestly it must have been kind of frustrating to not be able to get a NORMAL G1 in the later years.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SweetLemons

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • "Ganbaruby!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of G2. Donkey looking things...eugh...

I am a HUGE fan of Equestria Girls, and I hold no regrets :D

I am getting tired of Hasbro releasing the mane 6 OVER AND OVER, and in new horrid forms as well. Rainbow Power was only good with the show accurate ponies, other than that eww.

I love the BBE ponies! VERY MUCH!!

Aaaaand....I don't like G3.5. AT ALL. They hold no redeeming qualities to me.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
I think G1 got TOO gimmicky near the end of the line.  Lots of people seem to praise G1 for all the originality, but honestly it must have been kind of frustrating to not be able to get a NORMAL G1 in the later years.

Totally agree. With the exception of a couple of nice sets in Year 7 (Sunshine Ponies and Playtime Baby Brothers), G1 really tanked after Year 6.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »
I do not care one single bit about "show-accuracy" in G4 (just the term in and of itself is irritating to me).  In fact, I'm anti-show-accuracy.

I love Beddy Bye Eye ponies.  They're just so weird-looking, I love it.

I ADORE those heavy-metal G4's that came out last year.  They're AWESOME and I want more like them!

I have no problems putting a sea pony in the water. 

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2015, 09:48:20 PM »
I do not care one single bit about "show-accuracy" in G4 (just the term in and of itself is irritating to me).  In fact, I'm anti-show-accuracy.

I ADORE those heavy-metal G4's that came out last year.  They're AWESOME and I want more like them!

This and this times 1,000 XD Although I have yet to get the Goth Lolita ponies :[
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »

Glad I'm not the only fan! They are too weird not to love, I think. I never thought of them as heavy metal, though. Maybe Glam Rock or Hair Metal? Personally I just called them Lingerie ponies.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »

I am a HUGE fan of Equestria Girls, and I hold no regrets :D

Heck ya!!! XD I am too! I like any doll that half human, half animal.

I find it weird that MH fans don't mind the werecats and wolves but when it comes to pony people, they freak out  :lol: I'm  like "what's the dang difference?!" (besides the obvious brands) Like come on now!!!
Oh no!

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »
I can't stand G4 Spike, I think he's REALLY annoying  >_<

Also I don't get the hype for background ponies in the G4 show, I will like the have/see their toy versions but not sure why people get up in arms when the  fanfic they make is "ruined by Hasbro/or other people's opinion" mostly when the first time the pony appeared in the show witout spoken lines or personality

I Don't care at all for the grey pegasus and not sure what's extremely hilariours in Flutterbat  :huh:

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2015, 09:08:03 AM »
I can't stand G4 Spike, I think he's REALLY annoying  >_<

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Spike XD in a matter of fact, me and my boyfriend both hate him  :lol:
He's honestly better off a dog in EQG ,in my opinion  :P
Oh no!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 20, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »
I also hate keeping things in their packaging, lol. Of course if I found a G1 or G2 MIB or MOC, I'd leave it well enough alone, partly because the packaging is almost as cute as the pony itself, but the second the plastic in it starts to yellow (or if it's yellow when I find it), I'd debox immediately, but take care to preserve the backcard. That's the important part of the package to me, anyway.  Part of what I love about ponies is holding them in my hands and stroking their little manes and tails, etc. It's soothing, lol
I think you'll find this is a popular opinion - Unless it's deboxing a minty G1 or G2 ;)

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
I am getting tired of Hasbro releasing the mane 6 OVER AND OVER, and in new horrid forms as well.

Definitely not an unpopular opinion, trust me.  :lol:
Instagram / Want List

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2015, 11:19:14 AM »
Also I don't get the hype for background ponies in the G4 show, I will like the have/see their toy versions but not sure why people get up in arms when the  fanfic they make is "ruined by Hasbro/or other people's opinion" mostly when the first time the pony appeared in the show witout spoken lines or personality
I can understand people caring about the background ponies enough to want to do something fanon related with them - in the pony world, it's not that far from give a storyline to a toy pony.  Also, I myself have found myself taking an interest to background characters in non-pony things.

However, I agree with you completely about people (usually bronies) being mad about Hasbro "ruining fanfics" because the whole idea that fanon/headcanon can be ruined is ludicrious - it doesn't stop being canon because Hasbro chose to do something else, it was never canon.  I fail to see why people can't just keep writing things the way they were going to, and only change things if they happen to like the "new canon" better. 

not sure what's extremely hilariours in Flutterbat 
I'm speaking 100% for myself here, but maybe they felt like Flutterbat was such a letdown, they want to try and make her more interesting?  I doubt it, but I have surprisingly enjoyed seeing some fan art of her, as they have shown she could have been better - if she hadn't been in (what I view as) a poorly planned episode, that couldn't decide if it wanted to be cool or to protect the target audience (ignoring the obvious fact there wasn't anything to protect them from).
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
I can understand people caring about the background ponies enough to want to do something fanon related with them - in the pony world, it's not that far from give a storyline to a toy pony.  Also, I myself have found myself taking an interest to background characters in non-pony things.

However, I agree with you completely about people (usually bronies) being mad about Hasbro "ruining fanfics" because the whole idea that fanon/headcanon can be ruined is ludicrious - it doesn't stop being canon because Hasbro chose to do something else, it was never canon.  I fail to see why people can't just keep writing things the way they were going to, and only change things if they happen to like the "new canon" better. 

not sure what's extremely hilariours in Flutterbat 
I'm speaking 100% for myself here, but maybe they felt like Flutterbat was such a letdown, they want to try and make her more interesting?  I doubt it, but I have surprisingly enjoyed seeing some fan art of her, as they have shown she could have been better - if she hadn't been in (what I view as) a poorly planned episode, that couldn't decide if it wanted to be cool or to protect the target audience (ignoring the obvious fact there wasn't anything to protect them from).

As far as headcanons and background characters are concerned, I've NEVER seen a fandom that has EVER been so attached to them. Like... everyone has their own tweaks to a fictional universe but some bronies are so entitled about their stupid fanon ideas that the FIM writers better not EVER dare write anything that soils it. Then they get all ticked off when it does happen. I don't get it... Most fans of most things are happy enough to just go on writing fanfics where X character never died or everyone is out of character even if it goes against the established canon without much fuss. Bronies? They have to throw hardcore internet tantrums about it. I knew a guy that loathed Shining Armor for the simple fact that it "ruined how he perceived and related to Twilight Sparkle". Another example would be DJ-Pon3's eye color. Some random artist colored her eyes red everyone liked it. Officially her eyes are like "Rainbow Dash" magenta. Some folks couldn't even let that slide without whining about it. A series is always going to write someting into it that rubs you the wrong way and it's okay get upset  or voice a negative opinion about it but you don't have to act like a three year old that's not getting what they want.

As for Flutterbat, poorly planned indeed. That could have been a GREAT episode about presenting environmental issues, society encroaching upon wildlife, protecting a species, or even something along the lines of an animal not fitting their reputations. Instead we get an episode where it mostly brushes the issue it has presented under the rug, almost repeats part of the plot of the Parasprites, and writes most of the main six out of character in favor of Fluttershy becoming a vampire.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »
As far as headcanons and background characters are concerned, I've NEVER seen a fandom that has EVER been so attached to them. Like... everyone has their own tweaks to a fictional universe but some bronies are so entitled about their stupid fanon ideas that the FIM writers better not EVER dare write anything that soils it. Then they get all ticked off when it does happen. I don't get it... Most fans of most things are happy enough to just go on writing fanfics where X character never died or everyone is out of character even if it goes against the established canon without much fuss. Bronies? They have to throw hardcore internet tantrums about it. I knew a guy that loathed Shining Armor for the simple fact that it "ruined how he perceived and related to Twilight Sparkle". Another example would be DJ-Pon3's eye color. Some random artist colored her eyes red everyone liked it. Officially her eyes are like "Rainbow Dash" magenta. Some folks couldn't even let that slide without whining about it. A series is always going to write someting into it that rubs you the wrong way and it's okay get upset  or voice a negative opinion about it but you don't have to act like a three year old that's not getting what they want.

The only fandom I've seen worse with headcanon than this is the Vocaloid fandom. Literally nothing is canon about them, the company even saying that officially licensed comics about them are not canon either, leaving each individual to have their own ideas and to make personalities for the characters as they wish.(Which to me, is the fun of it.)

If you can imagine it, imagine an overly headcanon attached brony multiplied by about 3 and and you get a good portion of the Vocaloid fandom. And don't even get me started on the fights about their shipping headcanons...It's typically an internet bloodbath/free for all and you sort of have to dig to find nice places. That's the only case I ever see that's more ridiculous. Fighting about canon that doesn't even exist in the first place.

But yeah, I frequent this forum exactly because of all the entitlement on "brony-centric" ones. I fully admit I am only here for G4, but I completely understand that you previous gen people have been here A LOOOOOT longer and will be around a lot longer than most bronies ever will. Why cater to a group that's only sticking around in the short run? I get why they don't. They should be happy they've gotten everything that they have, like Funkos, 4DE, all the meme-shoutouts.

MagicStar

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:30 PM »
I think it's fair to say entitlement is an overwhelming part of brony culture as a whole...the first mean anon message I ever got after years on the site was after I made a post saying inappropriate content saturating the internet in a young child's fandom was bad. I was called a bunch of misogynistic slurs for it. Go figure.

I adore the show and rarely find shows that feel so safe and free of issues to indulge in. But with the culture..eugh. I had to take a long break and I still haven't watched it for several seasons, but I hope to go back soon! I am glad to find other fans who still can hold onto the good things despite all the bad trying to flood in.

And to stay on subject and avoid derailing the post, I'll add another unpopular opinion! Hmm. I think ponies mean a lot more when they are used. And I don't have any interest in buying new ones at all, even if I like a g4. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal