collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Ponies  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
25th Anniversary Ponies
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »
I was curious what all ponies they re-released for the 25th anniversary. I picked up the 6 original ponies and the Rainbow set of ponies some years ago. I wasn't sure if they had released others. It was a shame that the Rainbow ponies manes were in the wrong color order.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
Re: 25th Anniversary Ponies
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
Only the original six and rainbow ponies were released. I remember hunting for them at K-Mart!

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline mlp_loving

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Follow me on Instagram @mlp_loving ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:05:25 PM »
Yep, I believe those were the only ones. The only ones I managed to find at Walmart at the time were the 2 box sets of the Flatfoot ponies.

Adoptables by SDS ♥

♥ MLP dedicated Instagram - @mlp_loving ♥

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 01:06:56 PM »
It's such a shame Hasbro cheaped out on the anniversary ponies.  They could have been made so lovely but they look like fakies instead.  :( 

Offline mlp_loving

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Follow me on Instagram @mlp_loving ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:14:09 PM »
It's such a shame Hasbro cheaped out on the anniversary ponies.  They could have been made so lovely but they look like fakies instead.  :(

Especially the Flatfoot ones. They're kinda horrible..  >_< I only got them at the time cause I didn't know better. I was only collecting G3 ponies at the time and the only G1's I had were 2 from my childhood. I had no idea that the anniversary ponies looked so different. I mean I'm still glad I got them cause they're still in the box and a good addition to my collection, but I do wish they weren't so odd looking. I would have rather gotten the Rainbow ponies but I never found them.

Adoptables by SDS ♥

♥ MLP dedicated Instagram - @mlp_loving ♥

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
The anniversary sets look very pretty MIP--at least in pics (I never bought them). They did a good job with the packaging. The ponies themselves . . . they should have invested a little more time. I just couldn't forgive Hasbro for reissuing the originals as FF. Hasbro your 1983 team spent a lot of time correcting that terrible tipped over pose!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 04:58:27 PM »
They were very poor but then again I cant help but think we are a little to blame lol...when asked what we would pay the consensus was $5. Unfortunately they then gave us a $5 pony :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
I don't think the price point is to be blamed. I mean things like the printing of the eyes, the colours...etc. These can be controlled. Someone at Hasbro wasn't good at his/her job, or the aesthetics department had a wonky eye. And for all the market research they had been doing, it did not help to make this line very sellable. Good workmen do not blame their tools, they need to admit their weaknesses and improve their skills.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
They were very poor but then again I cant help but think we are a little to blame lol...when asked what we would pay the consensus was $5. Unfortunately they then gave us a $5 pony :P

True true true.  If I only knew then what I know now...  I would have bought every single one I came across to make Hasbro understand "MORE G1 PONY THANK YOU"! 

But I remember, I answered that survey to Hasbro myself with, "$5 dolla pony!"  Of course I was offered a $5 pony!  And then I complained and didn't buy it.  No wonder Hasbro ignores our demographic now.  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
There were quite a few G3's that were released in 25th anniversary boxes...

$5 each pony? The sets cost $25ish new for 3 ponies in each box? It's not our fault that they wanted to charge an exhuberant price for cheap product. Then to re-hash out ponies that already flood the G1 market? Poor marketing. They should have researched just a wee bit more for ponies to release. They were impossible to find around here. I had to go 40 mins north and 45 mins south to find them at K-mart.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
I was so desperate back then to get a set of the collector's pose set, as they were not available over here (of course not -.-). Later I bought the Rainbow set on ebay for very little money. Regarding the prices they fetch today in German ebay I am glad I bought all four sets back then.

I like them, I think they look very neat in their packaging :)
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:14:03 AM »
I actually really liked them. I left mine MIB. I do wish I could have gotten the rainbow set. Honestly, I think us as collectors can be overly critical. The one time we actually got G1s from Hasbro we whined and complained they weren't good enough. No wonder they've stopped catering to us.

Eta- a well made transformer is $15, I've paod close to $100 for the fancy largw starscream for hubby. Maybe since we won't pay more for ponies Hasbro doesn't see a point in G1 collector ponies. Heck, how many people complained the Comic Con pony and doll were to expensive? At the end of the day, ponies do not make the money transformers do.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:17:21 AM by Vertefae »

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 03:30:36 AM »
There were quite a few G3's that were released in 25th anniversary boxes...

Yes, there were!  This thread reminded me that I still have one nice 25th G3 set mib.  I need to get pics and have it price checked.  It has several G3 ponies in it, with pretty designs and each has a word on it.. Like "hope", "joy", ect.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 04:50:09 AM »
I was never able to find the rainbow set. :( I would have bought them if I had! Sure, the colors were wonky, but I thought they were kinda pretty, in their own way. :) It was nice to have G1 back, even if just for a little while.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline sleepykris

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • my avatar was done by the talented aluke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:22 AM »
I picked up the complete retro sets on ebay recently for a decent price, considering what other ebay and Amazon sellers had them for.  $65 for the 2 original sets and $100 for the 2 sets of rainbow ponies.  I am awaiting shipment.  I just started collecting G1 again - hadn't bought one since childhood.  I'm glad Hasbro released them, they are a nice reminder of my fond childhood memories.  Hopefully, there are more G1 ponies down the horizon as I do not collect any other generations. 

Post Merge: January 21, 2015, 06:07:45 AM

I was never able to find the rainbow set. :( I would have bought them if I had! Sure, the colors were wonky, but I thought they were kinda pretty, in their own way. :) It was nice to have G1 back, even if just for a little while.

I would setup an alert on eBay for them.  I see some that have sold recently. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:07:45 AM by sleepykris »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal