collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Ponies  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 25th Anniversary Ponies
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
I picked up the complete retro sets on ebay recently for a decent price, considering what other ebay and Amazon sellers had them for.  $65 for the 2 original sets and $100 for the 2 sets of rainbow ponies.  I am awaiting shipment.  I just started collecting G1 again - hadn't bought one since childhood.  I'm glad Hasbro released them, they are a nice reminder of my fond childhood memories.  Hopefully, there are more G1 ponies down the horizon as I do not collect any other generations. 

Post Merge: January 21, 2015, 06:07:45 AM

I was never able to find the rainbow set. :( I would have bought them if I had! Sure, the colors were wonky, but I thought they were kinda pretty, in their own way. :) It was nice to have G1 back, even if just for a little while.

I would setup an alert on eBay for them.  I see some that have sold recently. 

That's a good idea, but OMG, $100 is way too much for me! Didn't they retail for $25 per set!? :yikes:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
They were very poor but then again I cant help but think we are a little to blame lol...when asked what we would pay the consensus was $5. Unfortunately they then gave us a $5 pony :P

Agreed.  I think people forget that the ponies that cost $5 in the 80s would cost $9 today due to inflation . . . Plus Hasbro had to make four new molds for the Collector and Rainbow ponies since they didn't have the originals.  A big investment since it would be used for so few ponies.  I'm not surprised they had to skimp on the plastic and hair.  (Those sad, skimpy tails . . .)

Honestly, I feel that those two sets were the ones that made Hasbro decide "G1 retro ponies--not worth it."

But they could at least have given them the right colors.  Cotton Candy with neon pink hair . . .
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:40:03 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »
They were very poor but then again I cant help but think we are a little to blame lol...when asked what we would pay the consensus was $5. Unfortunately they then gave us a $5 pony :P

Agreed.  I think people forget that the ponies that cost $5 in the 80s would cost $9 today due to inflation . . . Plus Hasbro had to make four new molds for the Collector and Rainbow ponies since they didn't have the originals.  A big investment since it would be used for so few ponies.  I'm not surprised they had to skimp on the plastic and hair.  (Those sad, skimpy tails . . .)

Honestly, I feel that those two sets were the ones that made Hasbro decide "G1 retro ponies--not worth it."

But they could at least have given them the right colors.  Cotton Candy with neon pink hair . . .

Alas- I was one of those people who are to blame.  When they came out I was SO EXCITED until... I saw their price.  They were $29 or $35 at TRU which I thought was SO MUCH.  Really the problem was not the price point though, it was that I could get the SAME ORIGINAL ponies included in that pack, from ebay for LESS than the anniversary ponies. To add insult to injury, the anniversary ponies seemed a little "off" or cheap or something.  I didn't end up getting them... every time I was tempted, I saw the price again and backed away... now of course I wish I'd picked up a set of the Rainbows at least. If only for the packaging...

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »

Alas- I was one of those people who are to blame.  When they came out I was SO EXCITED until... I saw their price.  They were $29 or $35 at TRU which I thought was SO MUCH.  Really the problem was not the price point though, it was that I could get the SAME ORIGINAL ponies included in that pack, from ebay for LESS than the anniversary ponies. To add insult to injury, the anniversary ponies seemed a little "off" or cheap or something.  I didn't end up getting them... every time I was tempted, I saw the price again and backed away... now of course I wish I'd picked up a set of the Rainbows at least. If only for the packaging...

This was my reasoning.  Why would I spend so much money buying copies when I either already owned the originals or could buy them for cheaper?  I did purchase the original 6 but passed on the rainbow ponies, though now I regret it. 

I personally have always thought that they should have released them in alternate poses.  I think more people would have been willing to buy them then.

Here is another element.  What year were those released? 2008/2009?  That was right in the middle of the recession.  A lot of people didn't have extra money to spend.  Or if they did, they were more selective in how they spent it.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
I picked up the complete retro sets on ebay recently for a decent price, considering what other ebay and Amazon sellers had them for.  $65 for the 2 original sets and $100 for the 2 sets of rainbow ponies.  I am awaiting shipment.  I just started collecting G1 again - hadn't bought one since childhood.  I'm glad Hasbro released them, they are a nice reminder of my fond childhood memories.  Hopefully, there are more G1 ponies down the horizon as I do not collect any other generations. 

I was never able to find the rainbow set. :( I would have bought them if I had! Sure, the colors were wonky, but I thought they were kinda pretty, in their own way. :) It was nice to have G1 back, even if just for a little while.

Hehe, I'm the ebay seller that sold them to you! :happy: They're very lovely MIB :nod: I was stoked at finding G1 stuff in stores! I'm glad to see all the retro stuff out now :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »
This was my reasoning.  Why would I spend so much money buying copies when I either already owned the originals or could buy them for cheaper?  I did purchase the original 6 but passed on the rainbow ponies, though now I regret it. 

I personally have always thought that they should have released them in alternate poses.  I think more people would have been willing to buy them then.

That's a great point.  The ponies they sold as retros are all very common on the second-hand market.  Unlike G1 Transformers, which often broke or had decorative stickers peel off, G1 MLPs are REALLY DURABLE.  It's not thaaat hard to find near mint ones.  I completely understand why someone wouldn't want to shell out money for a retro release when they have the original, and the original is better quality.

But imagine if Hasbro said, "Here.  We made a new set of retro baby ponies:  Baby Moonstone, Baby Sunlight, Baby Windy, Baby Starshine, Baby Skydancer, and Baby Parasol." 

If Hasbro made something like that, I think collectors would be all over them.  And personally, if they were the same quality as real G1s, I would be willing to pay $10, $15, even $20 a piece for them.

($10 - $13 per pony seems like the best price range, because then you would also draw in moms who remember G1 MLP fondly but don't collect.  I'll bet at $10 or $15 they could afford to package them individually on small, G4-sized backcards.  I think they sold the collector ponies in sets of 3 to minimize packaging costs.  Regular cards would give stores more leeway about where to put them.  Easier to hang cards on pegs than to stack boxes.)

Or imagine if Hasbro released a bunch of sought after ponies (Mimic, Rapunzel, Sweet Scoops), but in alternate poses.  Or if Hasbro released ANY new ponies in the sitting or rearing poses.

I hope someday Hasbro tries again, but that they do a little more research ahead of time.

Offline sleepykris

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • my avatar was done by the talented aluke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 07:38:58 AM »

That's a good idea, but OMG, $100 is way too much for me! Didn't they retail for $25 per set!? :yikes:

There are so rare now, being 7 years later, so I think they are a deal.  It's really about $11 an earth pony and $17 a rainbow pony.  It seems like a lot since I bought them altogether.  Hopefully, you can find close to original retail.   :)

Post Merge: January 22, 2015, 07:42:30 AM

Hehe, I'm the ebay seller that sold them to you! :happy: They're very lovely MIB :nod: I was stoked at finding G1 stuff in stores! I'm glad to see all the retro stuff out now :)

Hi Jennifer!   Such a small world.  That's wonderful!   I don't think I will take them out of the box, but let's see how my will power is.  I never had any of those particular ponies as a child, so I'm super excited.  Thanks again for selling me the sets!  I have been showing all my friends the auction listing and I think they all want them now.  :)

Post Merge: January 22, 2015, 07:55:12 AM

That's a great point.  The ponies they sold as retros are all very common on the second-hand market.  Unlike G1 Transformers, which often broke or had decorative stickers peel off, G1 MLPs are REALLY DURABLE.  It's not thaaat hard to find near mint ones.  I completely understand why someone wouldn't want to shell out money for a retro release when they have the original, and the original is better quality.

But imagine if Hasbro said, "Here.  We made a new set of retro baby ponies:  Baby Moonstone, Baby Sunlight, Baby Windy, Baby Starshine, Baby Skydancer, and Baby Parasol." 

If Hasbro made something like that, I think collectors would be all over them.  And personally, if they were the same quality as real G1s, I would be willing to pay $10, $15, even $20 a piece for them.

($10 - $13 per pony seems like the best price range, because then you would also draw in moms who remember G1 MLP fondly but don't collect.  I'll bet at $10 or $15 they could afford to package them individually on small, G4-sized backcards.  I think they sold the collector ponies in sets of 3 to minimize packaging costs.  Regular cards would give stores more leeway about where to put them.  Easier to hang cards on pegs than to stack boxes.)

Or imagine if Hasbro released a bunch of sought after ponies (Mimic, Rapunzel, Sweet Scoops), but in alternate poses.  Or if Hasbro released ANY new ponies in the sitting or rearing poses.

I hope someday Hasbro tries again, but that they do a little more research ahead of time.

This is well put.  Also, a lot of people are not fans of buying "used" ponies.  I was opposed to the idea for a long time, until my recent acquisition of dancing butterflies, as I could not find MIB.  Though, I loved MLP as a child, funds were limited, and I didn't have any of the ponies in the 25th anniversary collection, so they are all new to me.

I would also like to see Hasbro put these sets in Target, as I go there almost every three days, for groceries, food, clothes, etc.  I hardly go to toys r us or any other store. Target is really the one stop shop for me.  The Target near my house is always picked clean of toys, so I'm sure any new ponies would sell quickly. 

My friends and I are all moms now (we all married in our late 20s, early 30s) and I assume a lot of the G1 MLP fans are around the same age, so probably most of the G1 fans all now have kids, so it's actually the perfect time for the release of higher quality G1 ponies.  In 2008, I was still in grad school, and paid little heed to collecting vintage toys.  Now with a job and a family, I think the perfect time is now for a new release of the retro ponies.  I hope Hasbro sees our posts here and does release some more G1s. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:01:23 AM by sleepykris »

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »
I never realised there were anything wrong with them or that their quality was bad. I have them all still in their packages, but as they're on top of the shelf I never really look that hard at them, even when I purchased them. I always assumed altercations where done as to not confuse them with the originals though.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »

OMG that would have been awesome and irresistible - (especially a baby pony set! Or a SITTING set of the Rainbows!)  - but no.   If only they had actually talked to some pony collectors first...

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
All really good points on why the 25th anniversary sets flopped - I'll toss in one more too; ponies are nowhere near as expensive to make as Transformers, and that is reflected in their original, second hand and current retail prices.  You can't charge "collector" prices unless you put out collector quality.  Ponies only have two pieces, barring the really odd mechanical sets, while a Transformer has... what? 20? 30 parts? more? I've no idea, but it's way more than two.  Many of the originals were partially metal as well, not vinyl, which is far less costly. 

If Hasbro had wanted to market the 25th's to collectors, they needed to do something extra special with them - alternate pearlized CC set, anyone?  Or TAF Collectors? Poor tails or not, I'd wager hard dollars they would have gotten a better reception.  I know I would have bought them if they'd not just been poor reiterations of common ponies I already had at the time.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 06:09:35 PM »
I guess I was lucky, I found my sets at KB Toys on clearance.

I really hope they re-release more in the future. The Baby Rainbow ponies is a cute idea- I would so buy them!

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline sleepykris

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • my avatar was done by the talented aluke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
My sets have just arrived so I will be going home anytime to see the anniversary ponies.  I have had some g1 ponies arrive recently (swoon!  :satisfied:) so I can compare the quality to these reissued ponies. 

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
I'm so happy my mom happened to go shopping and look at the toys at that time and got me both boxes of rainbow ponies. How much did each set retail for, anyone know?

Actually I just remembered my mom got them from Kmart so dug up pictures. This room is at my parent's house so can't just go look. :P

Closer up it looks like it says 16.87 or something.

I love that they did this. I would LOVE for them to do it again so I can go see g1 ponies on the shelves! My dream.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:01:18 PM by ponycake »

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:36 PM »
Unfortunately it's really unlikely Hasbro will ever release "G1's" again - they were such a heavy commercial failure, I can't see them choosing to do so again unless it's something that uses the existing new moulds that were made.  Even at that, it'd probably be something like "Pinkie Pie done in G1, G2, G3 and G4 styles".
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
They're lovely, ponycake!  I wish I'd bought the Rainbow set when they came out, but I couldn't find them in stores.  Ha ha, Parasol's sticker has her as purple--just like my childhood Parasol did!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal