collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some dollyhair and rehair questions  (Read 624 times)

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
Some dollyhair and rehair questions
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »
I have some questions from rehairs and DH:

1) Are there matte versions in blue, green or purple ? like the ones in Moxie doll's hair extensions https://www.google.com/search?q=moxie+doll+hair+extensions&biw=1366&bih=641&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VKKpVOCwPIzWgwTT94PADA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg 

I haven't tried all the colors but the closest thing of the colors I have got from DH is the pilost blue to purple hair, I haven't tried those colors in saran (only mint ice)

2) Have someone tried the new nylon DH colors?

3) I use the needle and thread rehair metod because in my country the only glue guns available are of liquid silicone that is extremely messy and sticky  to work for a rehair job (the silicone would leak out of the hair holes and make a mess) , so that's why I use the needle and thread rehair metod

So I want to know how can I rehair a baby G3 (wiout the rehair tool and glue gun)  because I use a 3.5" needle and is too big to fit inside the head of the  baby G3
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:45:35 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Some dollyhair and rehair questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:42:51 PM »
I don't think there are many matte colors for greens, blues, and purples.  You could probably email Tina, the Dolly Hair site owner, or Shannon of Retro Dolls US for advice on those matches. 

I have tried a few of the new nylon colors, they are lovely!

Have you tried using thin wire instead of the needle to thread the hair through?  It can be a bit more flexible.

Offline Prideth

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Rainbow Sparkle Pony Power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »
1. There are not a lot of matte colors (in general) from dollyhair or retro dolls.  I'm not sure why, I like them a lot!  Fortunately, Blizzard is a matte white and you can dye it to whatever color you want, if that's somehting you want to do.

2. I have used "dragonfly", it looks great!  To my eye, Sakura looks so similar to the other pinks on Dollyhair so I haven't bought any yet.  But I often find I'm surprised at the difference holding the hank in my hand in comparison to the color swatch provided on the web page.  It can be a significant difference!

3. Dollyhair also sells Fabri-tac fabric glue that is really thick and can be used straight out of the bottle, never seeps through hair holes.  I use the rehair tool method and apply fabri-tac to the inside of the head and I've never had any problems with loose hair.  Liquid Silicone is definitely a bad option!

If you're really against the rehair tool, try the thin jeweler's wire and pull through each hole.  Basically, Ditto what Colorscapesart said!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wishlist    Trade  Prideth Reference Sheet

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
I can't help you with the first two questions but I use the needle & thread method too, and I have rehaired baby ponies (also G3) without problems. :) I use a shorter needle, about 2" or less, and pull it through with needle-nose pliers. A regular sewing needle will do just fine, I buy tapestry needles as they have large eyes and I have no need for a sharp tip. Hope this helps!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »

Thanks for the help
Ah so the mattes are rare, is a shame since MGA uses very pretty matte colors, I wish we could have those available  :cry:

I have tried wire, the one I used was too thin and it got all twisted when trying to get into the pony XD, but I haven't tried the ones for jewels

So for the wire method I have to bend it in half and make an eye/loop to add the hairplug and pull the other end wit the plyiers?

That's a great idea about the smaller ponies I have to try it :) , since I have some baity G3 baby I want to rehair

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »
I widen the holes with map pins then use a homemade rehairing tool.  I also tie a knot in the hair as well as using glue as I like to be firm when styling.

Perhaps if one of the nylon hair suppliers sees there's demand for more matte shades, they might supply?  ;-)
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:55:14 PM »
I use the needle and thread method and use the long doll needles I think they are called. They're quite long with a few different hole sizes. I like them a lot. I can usually make them work for any generation of pony. Haven't had any issues yet.

Click banner for my customs gallery.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal