collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Aquariums - Who has one?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Prideth

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Rainbow Sparkle Pony Power!
    • View Profile
Aquariums - Who has one?
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
So I've been thinking about buying an aquarium for a while, but I don't really know anyone who has had one and can share their experiences.  I had a small tank when I was a little kid with a single gold fish, but I really don't remember much about the upkeep or cleaning (Thanks, mom!).  I don't even know how long it lasted!

I'd really like a tabletop tank that's small-medium size, with just a few fish.  I think it would be nice to watch and I think my cat would get some entertainment value out of it as well.  That being said, I really don't want to change out water every few days or buy a new fish every few weeks because they have short life spans.  I know very little about pet fish.

So aquarium owners, what's the upkeep like?  Are you still happy with it, or is it more work than you expected?

:fish:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wishlist    Trade  Prideth Reference Sheet

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Aquariums - Who has one?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
I have a pond, and while its more work then an aquarium, the principle is the same.

The first thing you need to know is how many fish can really be inside the size of container you want.  Do not overfill the container, period. Its not healthy for the fish and contrary to popular belief, goldfish can not survive long in a container barely bigger then the fish ;)

Not sure if cleaning is similar--we need to half change out the water (and put some chlorine killer so the fish don't burn and die) and clean out the filter every few weeks.

Is it a lot of work?  Cleaning can be, and in the spring when you turn the pump back on and the heater off, its a whole day affair since you need to clen the entire pond out.

Also, do your research with which fish can live with which, how big they will get, and what temperature water they can live in.  Weve had a few instances of a few varieties of goldfish getting bullied (literally) by the other fish.  Stress killed them off.

Is it worth it?  I think so.  The waterfall is soothing to hear and if you are lucky (no super hash winters or huge freaking pelicans grabbing one to nom on o.@), the fish inside will get bigger and survive many years, happy.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
Lol, Melodys_angel, I used to have a pond and would argue THAT was easier than a aquarium!  :)

I found adjusting to an aquarium hard work - but worth it to have your lovely fishies inside (and arguably more personable and interactive - fish are smarter than you think).

When I moved house I had to give up my pond, and had a crash course in aquarium care. I agree completely with Melody - check your tank size/number of fish ratio - very important! Coldwater fish like comets (your old fashioned goldfish) need LOTS of space. Community tropical fish less so (but I've never had anything other than fans/comets, so can't guide you there).

The bigger the tank the easier to care for ironically (well, certainly with comets). It is important to understand the cycling process (lots of info on the net, or ask at your reputable pet store). Because a tank is an artificial environment, there is no natural water flow that will help eliminate and balance out good/bad bacteria and all the other things that build up (ammonia etc) because it has no where to go like a natural environment. In a tank, you need to help create that balance - and the initial cycle is a big step in that.

In my recent experience fine-tuning it all (for my current fantail fish), I would recommend artificial plants (though they do have some oxygen weed to nibble on) - the real deal honesty caused me so many problems in hindsight. It exasperated the algae issues I was having (so on that note - watch the position of your tank as well - too much light will increase algae growth).

People's attitudes on water changes varies - less required with a seriously big tank - much more in a smaller. Some people don't do it at all and simply top up the water as it evaporates. At the moment I'm taking about 20L out about every week out of an 80L tank. I don't have an undergravel filter, just a 100L per hour type thing that hangs on the edge of my tank. As Melody said, very important to treat any water you put into the tank for chlorine etc.

Everyone has a different approach of course, and it is also dependent on what type of fish you have, so make sure you research your choice of fish well, including how much to feed them.

It's definitely worth it! I love my fish :)  Cared for properly comets/fantail can live for years.

Good luck if you go for it!

Offline Prideth

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »
Thanks for such great input!

Honestly, I'm attracted (like most people) to the pretty betta fish, but I've read that they very frequently get put in tanks that are too small or not circulated well.  I would be perfectly happy with a single betta in a reasonably sized tank, but it seems like opinions differ greatly on the appropriate size for one.  I would hate to have an unhappy/unhealthy fish.

Ideally, I'd like to keep a tank that is maybe around 2' L x 1'W x1' H.  Small enough to sit on a desk, but large enough for a single small breed of fish, hopefully.

I'm interested to know what type of fish others have experience with.  I want to be perfectly sure I know what I'm doing before I make the commitment to one!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:27:44 PM by Prideth »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
I have 2 Siamese Fighting Fish currently in 2 aquariums. They can certainly be a lot of work, but they are rather lovely to have too.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
A betta fish would definitely be a great option.  My girlfriend has one, and he's a happy little bugger!  Won't take food from me though, prissy little things they can be.
With proper care and a good tank, they can definitely be a companion for a few years :)  my girlfriend's last betta lasted for a long time.  I can ask her later what size a tank she has, as it alludes my memory right now but I know it it fits well on her itty bitty desk.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
I have 5 in use at the moment.
One 20 gallon with a goldfish
One 10 Gallon with a male betta and 2 snails
One 10 gallon with clown plecos
Two 5 gallons with one betta each

Unless you are doing a salt water tank, they really aren't to difficult to maintain but it also depends on the species you want and tank size. In general, a 10 gallon is easier to maintain in the long run then a 1 gallon because in the long run you will be doing more work to keep the water quality in the 1 gallon clean then in the 10 gallon, assuming the 10 gallon has completed the NITROGEN CYCLE.
Here is a simplified version of the N cycle.

Honestly, I'm attracted (like most people) to the pretty betta fish, but I've read that they very frequently get put in tanks that are too small or not circulated well.  I would be perfectly happy with a single betta in a reasonably sized tank, but it seems like opinions differ greatly on the appropriate size for one.  I would hate to have an unhappy/unhealthy fish.

Bettas breath air from the surface so they do not need airstones or filtration. What they DO need is a heater set to between 78-82F since they are tropical fish. Since most heaters are quite long, I prefer tanks that are at least 5 gallons. Most people say 2.5 is a good size.
Filtration - There are 3 types of filtration - mechanical,chemical and biological. Most people know about mechanical - thats removing debris from the water. Carbon removes stuff like smells, medicines, ect. What people dont seem to now about is the BIOLOGICAL filtration aka nitrogen cycle. You can read more about it under the spoiler.
Spoiler
Establishing the nitrogen cycle doesn't have to be something to fear or be overly complicated.

The filtered tank will cycle without you doing anything, however, since the process takes time to complete- if you don't make water changes the high levels of ammonia and nitrite can kill the Betta...But wait-you are going to make water changes anyway....RIGHT.....
So, you have been cycling your filtered tank with your Betta this whole time and didn't know it....See how easy that was......

Establishing the nitrogen cycle for the Betta in 1gal-10gal filtered tank can be safely completed with a healthy Betta with or without testing products.....provided that you make the needed water changes......

No matter what container you have your Betta in...You will need to make water changes due to the byproducts produced.....
The difference when cycling is that you are growing beneficial bacteria that can help keep the water safer with limited water changes once established.

Since the filtered tank is a closed system-you still have to make water changes.
Nothing leaves the tank until you remove it manually with the water change, however, once the nitrogen cycle is established-the BB can convert the most harmful byproduct (ammonia) to a less harmful byproduct(nitrate).....

You don't want to base water change needs on water test alone-due to the DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that can be harmful when they buildup to high levels.

You can establish the nitrogen cycle in 1-4gal filtered tanks, however, due to limited surface area the cycle might not be stable and twice weekly water change will be needed to maintain water quality.
Understanding the beneficial bacteria:
The beneficial bacteria (BB) you are colonizing for the nitrogen cycle are self limiting. What this means-you can only grow a colony large enough based on-
Food source-byproducts from anything organic-like the Betta, fish food, live plants, shrimp, snails...etc....
Oxygen-when the water flow from the filter disrupts the surface you have gas exchange
Surface area-all areas inside the tank-like the walls, decorations, plants-both real and fake, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media.

The BB are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas within the tank-very little are in the water column itself.

The BB are alive..and many things can kill or slow the BB growth/colonizing.
Like dehydration, suffocation, chlorine/chloramines and some medications
If the BB dry up they die
If they are buried in mulm/debris that limits access to dissolved oxygen they can suffocate.
If the filter is turned off longer than 6 hours the BB will start to die
Both chlorine and chloramine will kill the BB
Many different medications will kill the BB
With pH 6 and less the BB can't colonize

It is important to vacuum the substrate in all areas that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots- at least weekly to keep the mulm/debris from suffocating the BB
It is important to rinse/swish the filter media in old tank water or fresh dechlorinated water a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow to the BB. The filter media should look dirty-this is normal and good.

The fishless cycle is intended for community tanks-this method was developed so that you could safely fully stock large tanks. Since we are only stocking our smaller filtered tanks with a single Betta and maybe some shrimp and/or snails. The Fishless method isn't always needed.

The Process:

Once you setup your tank and properly acclimate the Betta.

Your first water change should start on or about day 3 and schedule the second weekly from that point.....

In a 1gal-4gal filtered tank-without live plants:
Water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of time a month
*The long term care and established cycle care will be the same on 1-4gal filtered tanks.

In 5gal-10gal filtered without live plants:
Water changes of twice weekly for the next 4-6 weeks
Of... 1-50% water only and 1-50% with vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots.
*The 50% with vacuum will be the water change schedule for the life of the system to maintain water quality once the nitrogen cycle has established.
Filter media needs swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of time a month

*If you have water test kit-base the water only change on: ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater.
With a low bioload often you don't need the second water only-I always recommend it when you don't have test kit to err on the side of caution...its the safety net....

Live plants can change the cycling process as well, however, you have to have enough of the right species of plants that are actively growing.
Not all plants can use enough of the byproducts fast enough to help keep the water safe for the Betta.

Using lots of fast growing stem plants and floating plant you will have a silent cycle. The active plant growth can use the ammonia before conversion and it can take a long time if ever to see the nitrate reading we look for to tell us cycling stages/completeness.

With enough of the right species plants that are in active growth can also decrease water change needs in 1-4gal filtered tanks to 50% weekly.

*Remember-some additives can change or skew water prams results-
Like some dechlorinator products can change ammonia to ammonium so its not harmful to the Betta-but, live plants and BB can still use it as a food source to colonize.
Some plant foods can cause false readings in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Its not uncommon to have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the source water
When using test kits-they test at a ppm level (parts per million) so you will always have some ammonia in the water at very low levels that can be used by the beneficial bacteria.

Once the nitrogen cycle has established your water prams should read:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm ideally...You want to keep this under 40ppm
pH-can vary- Betta can adapt to most source water pH without issue and use of chemical to altar the pH should be avoided-except in rare cases......
Last edited by Olympia; 03-26-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Restoration
Pleco  - normally I don't see them,  they like to hide. There are MANY species and some of them get HUGE. But the clown pleco stays small maxing out at maybe 3 inches. Easy to keep, must have wood in the tank (they eat it or maybe its what grows on it, not sure) and GOOD filtration - they poop, alot. But they are very reclusive and you'll seldom see them.

This, however is the bane of my existance:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:43:39 PM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Prideth

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
Tiki!  That was JAM PACKED full of good information!  Thanks for making such a detailed post!

It sounds like you've got a really good handle on a good tank size for the betta - I'm going to look into a similar setup with a 5-10 gallon tank and look at my options.  I didn't know they  needed a heater, but that makes perfect sense.  I have a lot of googling to do!

By the way, your little brown one so pretty!  I love his shimmery fins!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
Tiki!  That was JAM PACKED full of good information!  Thanks for making such a detailed post!

It's from a website called Bettafish.com
Its a forum, set up similar to the way the MLPTP is and it has lots of great info for beginners sticked in the various forums.

I may be cheaper to buy the tank and then look for accessories elsewhere then to get a full boxed setup.
Just a 10 gallon tank is about $10 and you can get a filter for $10-$20. Heaters are, IMO, the most annoying to find. If its 5 gallons - go with a 25 watt heater. If its 10 gallons, you want a 50 watt heater. Try Ebay and amazon as they can be cheaper then Petco/petsmart, ect.
Lids/covers - I use put craftmesh over the top. Some species are jumpers and bettas are no exception. I have found a few dried up on the floor and they can jump out of the smallest of openings!
Lighting - I only have a light for my 20 gallon because it has live plants.

Sometimes you can find a cheap full setup at walmart or if petco is having a good sale.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:10:33 PM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
I envy those of you who have aquariums. We had a 15 gallon and never could keep it cycled. It would end up all cloudy and the fish would die. :(
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
Sounds like a 5 gallon setup with a betta is a good fit for you, Prideth!  The more I learn about proper fish care, the more guilty I will feel over all the poor fish I had as a kid that died due to my ignorance.   :cry:

I started researching online and visiting several local fish stores recently - once I have some extra money, I'd love to set up a 29 gallon tank with a fantail goldfish, some live plants and maybe 2-3 dojo loaches.  I'm looking forward to the challenge of proper fish care - getting the right foods, keeping the nitrogen levels balanced, rearranging the decor regularly to keep goldy entertained, etc.  :)

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
We had a tetra tank at one point, and plan to set up a tank again in the future now that we're more settled. Right now I have 2 bettas, such personable fish!
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 11:06:52 PM »
Aquariums! I love aquariums! I have three small, simple aquariums and I love them! Two of my tanks have betta fish. One is about 7 gallons and one is, honestly I have no idea, maybe 6 gallons? They both have sand as the substrate, and live plants, and they're great! I used to have a bunch of silk plants too, but I've uncluttered them quite a bit, so just the live plants and some mopani wood for now. A little more plain than they used to be but this is easier for me. The tanks are heated and filtered and require little maintenance, just partial water changes weekly. In the past I've also had mystery snails in with my bettas and they've been awesome. Something extra to look at, since you can't really put any other fish in a small tank with a betta.

My other tank is a little 3 1/2 gallon tank with opae ula, or Hawaiian red shrimp. I'm actually just moving them from a 2 1/2 gallon tank. These things are awesome. They're itty bitty, about the size of a grain of rice. They require brackish water. That's IT. I drop them some spirulina pellets every once in a while and top off their water as it evaporates, but that's literally all the maintenance they require. Super super easy, they're very hardy. Not nearly as flashy as a betta though.

My recommendation is to get a betta, but do it right, with a nicely sized tank and a heater. With proper care they'll live 3-5 years. I've had dozens and dozens of bettas over the years, and they're fantastic :) Good luck with whatever you choose!

Here are my bettas and their tanks.

Hallow, my double tail plakat:

Jack Frost, my plakat:

(Water is yellowish from the tannins in the driftwood)

And my little shrimp colony. They'd just been moved from their old tank, so they're more transparent than actually red, if you can even see them...

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 06:38:07 AM »
Oooo! I keep bettas!!! :D I have a few books on them so I can tell you all about them!! I HIGHLY recondmend bettas- they are perfect for beginners AND they are hardy! I honestly dont know any fish lover who dislikes bettas. They are like people trapped in fish bodies with their silly personalities!!!

They are a relatively easy fishie to take care of, very hardy and they breathe air!!! Its important to look up the FACTS about the animals before you pick out your fishie!! Just saying as some people still believe the myth they only eat oncea month, live n plant roots, live in puddles, etc. They need lots of space and need to eat a meal a day. They do LOVE plants as toys not as food, hahaha my babies would even dig them out and use them as toys! xD Live plants are nice but make sure they have plenty of room to breathe at the surface! I always leave about an inch and a half at the top for air. A good rule of thumb is 1 gallon PER adult betta, no less. I use a 2.5 gal tank for each of my males (which by the way NEED to be separated in theor own tanks!!) and I had a 10 gal for my betta girl sorority. They like 78° fresh water and honestly conditioned/dechlorinated tap water is fine although they love warm spring water too. Use a thermometer and filter for the tank, if it gets cold where you live get an aquarium water heater, they are like $5 at walmart. Also research the nitrogen cycle if you plan on getting a large tank!!! If you want just one fish in a small tank, change their water once a week. For big tanks, change out half the tank size a week. Fishies neeeed that clean water!! The bigger the tank, the less changes you will need.

Bettas also REALLY love toys. I would give mine BB pellets that are tooo big for them to swallow and they would peck at it and play soccer with them! Its SO cute!! Male bettas are fun to exercise with mirrors 15 minutes a day, keeps them stimulated and healthy! Bettas also LOVE to play with legos!! Food- they are insectivores/carnivores. Avoid any pellets with a lot of wheat or that will float. Mine also ate daphnia and bloodworms only as occasional treats. Use pellets and only a tiny pinch- for mine I use a brand from Petsmart called New Life Spectrum. You will know they love you because they will BEG like a dog for food anytime you come over to visit! They are little piggies though, they would eat themselves to death so resist the temptation!! They need a covered tank because they are REALLY good at jumping in the air, this can cause death to your fish if they see like say,  a bug and they jump out to eat it, miss, land on the carpet, etc :-( so keep their tanks covered! xD Also since bettas breath air they BURP and YAWN. Its adorbs! :3

My boys:
Jappi (now deceased, lived 2 years in my care)

Kyoshi (now deceased, committed suicide when I was in vaycay)

Shiro (now deceased, lived about 3 years in my care)

Yuki (current, been here just over two years! :) )

Here are pictures of my betta sorority! <3

Betta Sister group hug!!

Hopefully my pics will convince you for a betta!! ^ͺ^ If you take care of them, you can get a long life out of them despite when you get them at the store they are already about a year old. My girls lasted almost 3 years, and ive had my current boy Yuki for almost the same amout of years. You really have to give them lots of love and care andIprimise they will grow onto you!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:48:47 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »
Ah, tiki gave you lots of great advice!  :biggrin: 
Calico, I love your betta pictures <3  They are really beautiful and you got such good pics of them.  Funny, I used to have on named Yuki, too, years ago...

I take care of very large fish tanks and aquaculture systems at my job, but at my house I only have a 5 gallon with a crayfish in it XD  It is true, the larger ones are actually easier, but I don't think you want a 750 gallon tank, lol!  I agree that a nice 5-10 gallon with a betta would work well for you.  Yeah, they do need heaters in most houses.  If you don't want to deal with heaters, you could try a goldfish or two.  But unlike the bettas, the goldfish can keep growing larger and larger and larger!

Good luck!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal