collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Cooking Challenge - Week 6 - Ingredient You Disliked as a Child  (Read 5470 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: The Cooking Challenge - Week 4 - Something Stuffed
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2014, 05:04:34 AM »
Omg, I forgot to post it! Let me do it ASAP!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
The Cooking Challenge - Week 4 - Something Stuffed
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2014, 05:10:09 AM »
Challenge is up. Please try to use a squash you have never prepared before if possible!

While I'm at it, here's my stuffed challenge along with the bonus cookies I made:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:12:06 AM by tuneful87 »

Bubbles1983

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Cooking Challenge - Week 5 - Seasonal Squash
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Ooooo they look yummy!

Have opted for a marrow for this week, never even eaten it much less cooked it. Going to do stuffed marrow I think. Might do it tomorrow.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »
Ooooo they look yummy!

Have opted for a marrow for this week, never even eaten it much less cooked it. Going to do stuffed marrow I think. Might do it tomorrow.

I had to look marrow up! I picked up both butternut squash and acorn squash. No idea how to cook either!

ETA: Cooking them looks simple enough. The question is, what else to make with them? It seems more like a veggie side dish. Any ideas for a complimentary main course?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:55:57 PM by tuneful87 »

Bubbles1983

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
I love butternut squash but I have cooked with it before so couldn't pick it.

You could try this : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775642/indian-butternut-squash-curry

Bubbles1983

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2015, 11:26:49 AM »
Went with stuffed marrow. Wouldn't buy a marrow again. Not unpleasant just   :|  No real taste or texture. The stuffing was nice though.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
Went with stuffed marrow. Wouldn't buy a marrow again. Not unpleasant just   :|  No real taste or texture. The stuffing was nice though.

Ooh, very nice! I still haven't cooked my squash. Maybe tomorrow. I haven't even decided on a recipe! Thanks for the curry recipe but I'm missing a few ingredients and want to see what I can make from what I have in the house already. hehe

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
I'm working on my squash now: http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-butternut-squash-caramelized-onion-flatbread/

And in a few days I will use the remainder of the squash and carmelized onions to make this: http://rikkisnyder.com/blog/13555336/butternutsquashpasta

Both look amazing. I am super excited to see if I can pull this off.

Bubbles1983

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
How did you get on?

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
How did you get on?

In one word: UGH!

The butternut squash flatbread was definitely better on day 2 and 3, but overall I just don't care for the taste of it. With the extra squash I attempted a sort of puree/sauce over penne last night which was absolutely horrendous! I had to throw it all out. Winter squash just isn't for me, I guess.

I'll post the next challenge soon. I've been meaning to, sorry! Since it seems to be just you and me at this point I don't think we have to worry about completing the challenges exactly in a week anymore! lol

Bubbles1983

« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
I made the butternut squash curry on Sunday. Was quite nice, I'll probably do it again at some point.

Bubbles1983

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
Any thoughts on the new challenge?

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
Just wanted to pop my head in here and say hi! I haven't been following the challenges but I did just try out two Kabocha squash recipes for the first time (because I bought a ginormous one).

First I made this recipe for Soy-Braised Kabocha squash: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Soy-Braised-Kabocha-Squash

I didn't take pics but it was quite nice. I made it a bit too salty as I had way more squash than recommended and never do well when working outside of a recipe  :blush:

I also made homemade Kabocha gnocchi. I just mixed the mashed, cooked squash with 1 tablespoon of yellow miso paste and enough flour to make a dough. Then I rolled out the dough, cut it into gnocchi sized rectangles and dropped them in to boiling water. They cooked in the water until they floated. I served them with sage, olive oil and pepper. They were the most misshapen pillows of sweet, delicious gnocchi I've ever had! I am definitely buying this squash again and will definitely make the gnocchi again!

In case anyone is curious, Kabocha has a texture similar to potatoes rather than other squashes. It's a bit like sweet potatoes/yams.

Bubbles1983

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »
Just wanted to pop my head in here and say hi! I haven't been following the challenges but I did just try out two Kabocha squash recipes for the first time (because I bought a ginormous one).

First I made this recipe for Soy-Braised Kabocha squash: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Soy-Braised-Kabocha-Squash

I didn't take pics but it was quite nice. I made it a bit too salty as I had way more squash than recommended and never do well when working outside of a recipe  :blush:

I also made homemade Kabocha gnocchi. I just mixed the mashed, cooked squash with 1 tablespoon of yellow miso paste and enough flour to make a dough. Then I rolled out the dough, cut it into gnocchi sized rectangles and dropped them in to boiling water. They cooked in the water until they floated. I served them with sage, olive oil and pepper. They were the most misshapen pillows of sweet, delicious gnocchi I've ever had! I am definitely buying this squash again and will definitely make the gnocchi again!

In case anyone is curious, Kabocha has a texture similar to potatoes rather than other squashes. It's a bit like sweet potatoes/yams.

They both sound really tasty and that squash sounds interesting. I'm not sure where I could get one here though. I'm busy googling it.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
Re: The Cooking Challenge - Week 6 - Ingredient You Disliked as a Child
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2015, 04:06:35 PM »
Any thoughts on the new challenge?
So sorry! Next challenge is up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal