collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! How do you concentrate when you've got a paper to write?!  (Read 805 times)

Offline Tulip

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Help! How do you concentrate when you've got a paper to write?!
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »
Because I should be writing one RIGHT NOW UURGH!
I'm meant to be handing in the introduction tomorrow morning but I've been so caught up in my other project and other activities that I haven't done it!
And, admission time.. I haven't looked at my dissertation for almost 3 weeks.. eep.

I just hate writing academically sooo much! It bores me so :C

So, ladies and gents and everyone else, how do you concentrate when you've got stuff to get done? I need some advice!

I'm going to go stare at the word document a bit more, and try not to end up on youtube..
Back after a 6+ year hiatus!

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help! How do you concentrate when you've got a paper to write?!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
When I write papers.....I use paper and pen so I am not tempted to browse the internet. I usually think about ideas of what I might write during the day and then I will close myself in a quiet room and drink lots of coffee before hand....make sure you aren't hungry or anything like that. And just start writing. The hardest part for me is always starting because I think too much about trying to make it perfect. Just write the first thing that comes into your head so you can have something to build off of and get you started.....then you can always change it later if it doesn't fit. Good luck with your paper!! Hope I said something useful. :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
Good luck! I have a terrible time with that too!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
Ahahahaha... I don't. But they say that procrastination is part of the process. I have a lot of writing that I'm supposed to be doing right this minute, too.

But I somehow always get it done... usually at the very absolute last minute. Often I get something caffeinated and something chocolaty to get me going, too.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »
I would say, if you have the willpower, leave the internet on but only reward yourself with a video or something after X minutes of work!

If you don't have the willpower...like some of us...heh heh...turn off your internet until you are done!  Maybe you can't if you need the internet to research, though.

As for straight-up focusing on work, I pick a song and play it non-stop until I am done.  For hours.  Your mileage may vary!  Also if you can go to a non-home location like a public library or school library or coffeeshop (too late for tonight, maybe for future) you may avoid non-internet distractions like laundry...pets...etc.

Good luck, you can do it!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »
I go to the library :)  Much less distractions there especially if you bring headphones. I also reward myself by browsing the Internet for a few minutes or doing something fun :)  Good luck!

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »
My strategy, which is a terrible strategy by the way, is to wait until the last minute then write the paper.  It's the only way I can get my brain to work properly. 
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Stop procrastinating and turn off the Internet.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »

As for straight-up focusing on work, I pick a song and play it non-stop until I am done.  For hours.  Your mileage may vary!

I do this, too!  I thought I was the only one who did this, lol.  It always works for me! 

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »
There are browser extensions that will block certain sites - they don't work super well for me because I just automatically try to find a way around them, but they might help you.

Definitely +1 on playing the same music! I like soft orchestral stuff. Heir - Seer - Knight - Witch got me through most of my college papers. (If music is too distracting, maybe ambient noise generators? I like myNoise.)

In terms of general prep, a big scratchpad (a physical notebook page, or an empty word doc) where you throw stuff you think might come in handy absolutely helps keep my thoughts together so I don't have to stop and go hunting for a quote I saw a few hours ago.

Offline Tulip

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 06:17:13 AM »
You've all just reminded me of the music that got me through my last long paper.. https://www.youtube.com/user/PonyVisation/videos ! This guys piano improv is beautiful. I've stuck that on in the background.
And I'd love to turn off the internet completely, but I do need it for extra research/quote hunting.

Gloomygirl777 - That is a really good idea! Pen and paper removes the 'Well I'm already on the computer I might as well check my emails' side of it. Thank you!

And it lovely to see other people who also leave it to the last moment.. haha! I'm trying my hardest not to do so! But essays are really not my strong point, so it's hard to get into them.

I saw my tutor today and she's set me some goals so, off I go! I'll try the endless music and pen on paper!
Back after a 6+ year hiatus!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:00 AM »
Ugh, I also leave these things for the last minute and I too hate writing academically so much!!
Studying and working in library usually helps me as well as breaking down the task to many smaller pieces to do each day. LeechBlock for FireFox didn't help me much because I get distracted with things in my room instead, but it might work for you. There's also a program called Manic Time which tracks how much time you spend doing what on your PC. You'll surprise yourself when you see how unproductive you really are! I was working the whole day (morning to evening), but did barely over 2 hours or actual studying!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »
I procrastinate as well, but when I finally get down to working on something, I listen to music.  If I need to concentrate on writing something, I listen to instrumental music, mostly smooth jazz.  It's enough that I can bob my head along, but the lack of words makes it easier to focus on what I want to say/write, instead of hearing someone else's voice.

Good luck!
Instagram / Want List

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
I agree that forbidding yourself the internet is essential until you have got it done.  Don't listen to your brain giving you little lies like "it will only be 10 minutes!" "I deserve just a little rest, right?"  "I'll just check this one thing..."

Picking up your favorite novel or watching anime also should be forbidden...

Good luck!

Offline melodys_angel

• Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »
its been awhile!

I usually do mine in sections so im not scrambling ot do one thing at once.

Get your ideas and roughdraft down on paper and pen, and listen to some music.  Get some incense going if you are freaking out. And avoid distractions!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal