collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Exotic Cheese! Which to try?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Cheese! Which to try?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »
All cheese is good cheese.  :P

Since you have plenty of wonderful suggestions for different cheeses to try, I'll throw in my two cents and say to look up some cheese fondue recipes and give that a try.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »
Goat cheese for me! And Parmesan, the real one, sliced very thin with just some tomatoes and basil .... *needs to remember to write it on my 'bring-back-to-China-shopping-list'*

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »
It makes me sad that there are people in the world who have not experienced the joy of many varied cheeses, so I'm glad you're getting a chance to try some new things! I loooove cheese. Good cheese is one of my favorite staple foodgroups. I suggest trying a bit of everything!  Gruyere, by the way, is a really great melting cheese good for making cheese sauces. Yum yum.

I tend to like soft and semi-soft cheeses. My absolute favorite cheese is fromager d'affinois, and I really enjoy port salut as well.

This! I had to look to see where the OP lives, have to say I was shocked and sad to see Texas.

Gruyere is the topper to my fave fish, French Onion Soup au Gratin.

My fave though is baked Brie, served with a fresh baguette and some roasted garlic ... My hubby roasts them in the bulbs in our oven and each clove becomes spreadable. You spread some roasted garlic, then the melted baked Brie onto the baguette slice. Amazing.
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

galaxystardust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
Really good mature Cheddar. You can get a brand (?/variant?) called "Tickler" here and it's delicious. I also love Wendslydale

The first time I was in Sainsbury's in the UK and I saw that Wendslydale was a real thing I burst out laughing and the shop assistants probably thought I was cray.
I always thought Wallace and Grommet made it up...  :lol:

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »
Oooh, now here's a topic I need to stalk. Cheese just makes everything better. I'm a big fan of fruit with cheeses, tomatoes, apples and grapes are exellent with just about anything.

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:00 AM »
I LOVE Halomi. OMG.

I'd also recommend the different types of Feta if you can get it - sheep and goats Feta is sublime, and goats milk cheese is one of my favourties!

I am a huge cheese fiend as well, and it is the only dairy I consume. (It's actually addictive!)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:17:13 AM by Loa »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:11 AM »
Thank you sooooo much everyone for the wonderful suggestions!!!! I am one excited vegetarian right now!!  I have written down all of the cheese you guys have suggested!!!! I think for thanksgiving I will bring over a HUGE cheese platter for everyone so I can share this experience with my family!I cant wait to try these with all my fruit and vegetable recipes!!!! Is it lame im so excited!?? xD

So far I have tried for the first time: muesnster (YUM), feta, and gouda. I REALLY liked the gouda, a very unexpected smokey/nutty taste!!!! I think I am a fan of the harder cheeses!!! I cant wait to try gruyere today along with havarti, gorgonzola and really any other cheese I can find today! xD OH! I also tried REAL parmasan today!!! Not the shredded powdery kind, but the block! It was like.... $7! I think my whole paycheck is going to be spent on cheese! xD I bought some raspberry pink moscato wine, pear, apples, and snowflake ritz crackers to try with all these cheese!!! Gouda and pear taste REALLY good together!!!! OMG I bet it would taste amazing with cranberry!!!

Also the deli cheddar tastes and looks much different from the blocks of cheddar cheese? I had a sharp cheddar slice from the deli, and it tasted very sharp and broke off in hexagonal pieces! So interesting!!!

Keep this thread going pleeeeeesase!!!! :D

Post Merge: November 20, 2014, 01:50:30 AM

I remembered a fun cheese chart I saw awhile back and went digging for it... it's really big!  http://i.imgur.com/2H7VbyY.jpg

And a wine/cheese pairing chart!
http://i.imgur.com/7wxi2Hz.jpg

This is. THEEEE.Greatest. thing. EVEHHH!
  :dance:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:51:55 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 01:53:47 AM »
Feta is really nice in sallads, haloumi wrapped in bacon on the grill is a favorite summer time. On a cheeseplate I am boring and prefer brie (I peel off the white) or (I can't find the english translation for it) fresh cheese. It's soft like butter and you just spread it on a biscuit. I think mascarpone is one even if that's not the particular kind I favor. I also love Greve in food. I have a delicious recipie for potatoe and Greve pie. Garlic cheese is kind of fun too, not so much afterwards, lol.

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
My husband also wants to know what kind of cheese Norway/Sweden typically have on the shelves? He wants to order some! xD I imagine probably soft cheeses made from sheep are Scandinavia's specialty.

EDIT: saw the poster above me! xD Adding:
Greve
Brie and
Haloumi

to my to-try list! :D Many thankies!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:04:33 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline Eily311

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 02:03:16 AM »
You should try honey goat cheese with fig butter on crackers it's to die for. I never liked goat cheese but my husband and I tried it at trader Joe's and we've been hooked for about a year now.

Instagram: Eily311MLP
Eily311 (personal page)

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 04:31:40 AM »
So this is what we found at the grocery store just now... at least what was in my budget!  :blush: Got to grocery shop for the family and save for some games! xD

I havnt tried any of them yet as Im working on yet another pony shelf but im soooo excted to try these! Although my husband bought a pepperjack cheese and romano cheese and made mac and cheese with it! DELICIOUS! :frolic:

Offline aero_oceana

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/aero_oceana
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »
Mmmm, cheese. I eat a LOT of cheese these days. I am eating a salad with asiago right now, as a matter of fact. :)

My favorites are parmesan (fresh grated from the block, so amazing), asiago, muenster, provolone, swiss, mozzarella, and sharp or mild cheddar. I'm not a fan of pepper jack. :/

I make my own cheese sauce to go over chicken and mushrooms... it's made from muenster and provolone cheese and then I sprinkle fresh grated parmesan over top. Soooo tasty...

Thanks to Sorrow for my gorgeous sig and also for my beautiful avatar!
Formerly known as Aerosmith_Gal.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
Oh my gosh, I love cheese.  I think my favorite is feta, but I also love mozzarella, Parmesan, pepperjack, asiago, sharp cheddar...

I've tried a lot of different ones at restaurants but I'm terrible at remembering names.

I will say this though: I recently tried goat cheese for the first time, and as someone who LOVE LOVE LOVES cheese on everything, I absolutely COULD NOT stand the taste of goat cheese.  I was told that it was like a creamier feta and while I agree, the taste still didn't sit well with me.  It's worth a try, but I think it's definitely a love it or hate it type of flavor.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Eily311

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »
Oh my gosh, I love cheese.  I think my favorite is feta, but I also love mozzarella, Parmesan, pepperjack, asiago, sharp cheddar...

I've tried a lot of different ones at restaurants but I'm terrible at remembering names.

I will say this though: I recently tried goat cheese for the first time, and as someone who LOVE LOVE LOVES cheese on everything, I absolutely COULD NOT stand the taste of goat cheese.  I was told that it was like a creamier feta and while I agree, the taste still didn't sit well with me.  It's worth a try, but I think it's definitely a love it or hate it type of flavor.

I don't like regulations goat cheese either, you should try honey goat chesee in changes everything

Instagram: Eily311MLP
Eily311 (personal page)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
I don't like regulations goat cheese either, you should try honey goat chesee in changes everything

Will do!
Instagram / Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal