collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Exotic Cheese! Which to try?  (Read 4338 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Cheese! Which to try?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »
I must admit I am not a fan of blue cheese!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »
Oooh, if you want something special from Sweden and has a Ikea near by, try to get your hands on some Wästerbottens. It's expensive but so delicious in cooking (we have a special pie with that cheese) or just on plain bread.

Bubbles1983

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
Love a bit of Manchego!

A really nice starter using Brie: Roast some butternut squash cubes with garlic and salt. When you take it out straight away throw in some spinach leaves and broken up Brie. The spinach wilts and the Brie goes all melty. You can't eat too much as it's quite rich but it's so yummy!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:06:20 PM by Bubbles1983 »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
Really good mature Cheddar. You can get a brand (?/variant?) called "Tickler" here and it's delicious. I also love Wendslydale

The first time I was in Sainsbury's in the UK and I saw that Wendslydale was a real thing I burst out laughing and the shop assistants probably thought I was cray.
I always thought Wallace and Grommet made it up...  :lol:

Nope :) it's real!

Many UK cheeses are named after the areas they are made in ;) so Wendslydale is called that because it's made in Wendslydale. Also a cheese can't be called a place that it's not made in, so you can't make Wendslydale in Chesire and call it Wendslydale. Incidently Wendslydale comes from Yorkshire and gets its unique favour from the meadow pasture the cows graze. In fact only a very small area can actually produce Wendslydale cheese.

Here is another cheesy fact :) why is the Chesire Cat the Chesire Cat in Alice in wonderland? Because in the Victorian age Chesire cheese was made in a mould shaped like a grinning cats face.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
Mmmm I love cheese!

I have a wonderful mac and cheese recipe that uses Gruyere as the main cheese.  I also LOVE feta cheese in my eggs and on pizza. 

Extra sharp cheddar cheese is my absolute favorite.  I love to eat it with Triscuit crackers.  I also love Harvati as a grilled cheese.  Blue cheese is great in salads and I love to eat swiss cheese with fruit.

I don't think there are many cheeses that I don't try and love!

*Trots off to the kitchen for some Brie and raspberries*

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 09:31:30 AM »
Västerbotten cheese is really good with a strong flavour. Don't know if you can find it outside of Sweden though.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »
I tried Skellig once. It's an Irish cheese that was on sale so I bought it. I really want to have it again.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
I'm very conservative when it comes to cheese. I just stick with mild cheddar, halloumi in fajitas and paneer (ponir) which is a vegetarian Indian cheese you find in some curry places in the UK and once in a while a supermarket. It's a soft cheese and has a mild flavour but it's great in curry.
At Christmas it's a tradition in our house to have a slab of Stilton (regional UK blue cheese), brie, extra mature cheddar and Red Leicester on a cheese board with crackers :)

Oh, there is one adventurous cheese I like. We tried it in Norway. I found it on amazon so copied but I dunno if one of the names is a brand name :P It's Gjetost Gudbrandsdalen a Norwegian Brown Cheese. It's very weird tasting but it's so good :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:45:14 PM by Chrissytree »

galaxystardust

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:33 AM »
Here is another cheesy fact :) why is the Chesire Cat the Chesire Cat in Alice in wonderland? Because in the Victorian age Chesire cheese was made in a mould shaped like a grinning cats face.

Love pkw xxx

OMG that's amazing! And I even have a Cheshire Cat tattoo :) Thank you for that great piece of trivia!!  :good:

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »

Love pkw xxx

OMG that's amazing! And I even have a Cheshire Cat tattoo :) Thank you for that great piece of trivia!!  :good:

Thats really cool!!! I absolutly LOVE Alice in Wonderland!

Sooo it turns out I am NOT a fan of brie cheese! :gross: the white powdery rind especially! Its so weird tasting.... almost bitter and sour with a chalky feeling? It doesnt even feel creamy! Its all hard!

Did i get a bad piece?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:12:40 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »
i dont know if id call them exotic, as they're relatively easy to find. but BRIE is my most favorite, i also like goats, romano and just normal mozzarella and swiss xD
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

galaxystardust

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »
Sooo it turns out I am NOT a fan of brie cheese! :gross: the white powdery rind especially! Its so weird tasting.... almost bitter and sour with a chalky feeling? It doesnt even feel creamy! Its all hard!

Did i get a bad piece?
Hmmm, Brie is almost runny on the inside. It always makes me think of a cheese pie - the hard-ish outer rind and then you cut into it and the soft inside oozes out. Maybe you did get an old piece. It shouldn't be kept for longer than 6 weeks. Not a cheese that ripens with age. Hahaha.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 04:22:56 AM »
If you ask me, Brie is a real bread cheese, I always have a loaf of warm italian or some sort of dense bread.
I also will occasionally cut away a little bit of the top rind and wrap it in that croissant roll pastry that you buy in the tube? brush it with egg and bake it till the crust gets kinda golden. mmmm so warm and gooey with crackers!

I might be picky, but iv noticed that Brie is NOT a cheese you can really skimp on price, i dunno what happens but... Iv tried some cheap brie and its got a wet dog kinda smell. xD

also, my mom always made me feel like it was some sort of requirement that you eat the rind? xD like you cant fully appreciate the cheese if you dont like the rind, but Im calling bull on that, because i LOOOVE the brie,  but not the rind. :p so youre not the only one.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:25:42 AM by True »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 05:19:02 AM »
Oh wow, mine definitly does not look creamy like that!!  Mines stiffer like mozz. Seems I got an older piece, duch a shame! I will go up to Whole Goods after black friday and ask for fresh brie :)

To me if its not any kind of cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, swiss, provalone, any kind of jack, colby, american, cream cheese, feta, roicatto, cottage cheese, etc all the common cheeses, its exotic to me! xD ive never even heard of havarti cheesecuntil i started this thread!!!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 05:22:57 AM »
 Jibneh.  It's a white Arabic cheese. I like it seared with seared tomato slices and olives.

Paneer is a cheese used in a lot of Indian dishes.  It's pretty mild, but soaks up flavors so well and is just delicious.

If you can find cave aged Gruyere, wow is it good! 

I'm trying to remember the name of one more that I just tried and love. It has the texture of a block of parmesion but slightly creamier.  I'll figure it out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal