collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you use official MLP names for your toys as a kid?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
Did you use official MLP names for your toys as a kid?
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »
Just as the topic title says!  :P

For me, I was too young to remember (or care) what the names of the ponies were when I got them as gifts.  I doubt even my parents knew that they had names!  I grew up this way, not knowing otherwise (hadn't watched the cartoons as a kid either).  So imagine my surprise when I started researching MLP online in the late 1990s, and discovering that almost every single pony toy ever made had a name they came with!   :freak:

What was your experience with MLP names?  Did you, for example, see that they had official names, but ignored them and used your own?  Did you follow the Almighty Hasbro and not deviate from their package names?  Discuss!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Re: Did you use official MLP names for your toys as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
I took great pleasure in reading the boxes of all my tops top to bottom.  I read every single thing printed on the package and in the package and I took pride in knowing not only my pony's name but the names of all the ponies on the back and in the show.  The only ponies I didn't know the names of were the ones I first got when I was littlest.  Those I think either made up names for or figured the names out.  Like Windy was Windy, but Starshine was Sunshine.  I think there might have been a few ponies who's names I thought were bad, so I would rename them.  But for the most part I liked the names they came with.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
All of my ponies were second hand from garage sales, so I didn't know their real names until I had internet years later. I can't recall any of the names I gave them except Baby Brother Paws I called Scott. :lol:

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:17:27 PM »
Yes and no. If I knew their name, then yes. The others I made up my own.

Firefly and Halfnote were their own names (Firefly I knew from the show, and Halfnote was store-bought).
Sand Dollar was Sea Pony (creative I know)
Moondancer and Moonstone changed names when I didn't remember what I called them (usually something involving stars and rainbows)
Squeezer was by far the most creative. At the beginning of Rescue at Midnight Castle, the narrator says "starring Sandy Duncan and Tony Randall" just as Bowtie trots into view. Well Bowtie looked like Squeezer, so she was named "Tony Randall" for the longest time.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »
I took great pleasure in reading the boxes of all my tops top to bottom.  I read every single thing printed on the package and in the package and I took pride in knowing not only my pony's name but the names of all the ponies on the back and in the show. 

same here :)
I was totally obsessed my MLP and sucked up every little information like a sponge. I never renamed any of my ponies.
I remember one original hasbro pony though gave me a headache lol. It was the Pony Bride. I got her from my grandma back then.
She came with the sentence "Ich bin das Hochzeitspony" (german, "I am the wedding pony") but no name on her package o.o I didnt want to call her Hochzeitspony ("Wedding Pony"), because that wasnt a name... I had a hard time chosing something good. At first she was "Vögelchen" ("Birdy", because of her symbol), but I already had a fakie that had the name... then she was "Glitzermähne" ("Glittering Mane") because of her tinsel but I tend to forget that name easily so she had a couple of different names lol. I did not really bond with her ;)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »
I didn't know their names but I don't remember what names I gave them.

Post Merge: October 27, 2014, 02:21:28 PM

I didn't know their names but I don't remember what names I gave them.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
Squeezer was by far the most creative. At the beginning of Rescue at Midnight Castle, the narrator says "starring Sandy Duncan and Tony Randall" just as Bowtie trots into view. Well Bowtie looked like Squeezer, so she was named "Tony Randall" for the longest time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was still really little when G1 ended, so I never knew their names or even that they had any. I always called my Lovin' Kisses "Magenta" because of her hair, and Star Glow was named "Shante" after a girl in my class who, very strangely, looked like Star Glow.

Offline Brilliant Bloom

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
Yes, I always used the official names from them. I read many things about the MLP (backcards, magazines etc.) and so it was absolutely normal to use the names hasbro gave them.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
Oh I was strict :) Ponies were named their original names. However I think as a kid I was helped to remember that because I read the comics and had a wide selection of books.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

thegingerspicepony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
My pony obsetion started early in life so most of the name where coerce but I had a mc donadles Toy that I called sherbert I still don't know her real name  :biggrin:

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
At this point my memory's quite fuzzy, when it comes to remembering names, but I am 100% certain that I didn't know the official names of the ponies in my childhood herd, with the exception of Peachy (who appeared more than once in a storybook I used to own as a kid). On the top of my head, Tootie Tales and Daffodil were the two the names of which I remember the best. Tootie Tales was named Calypso, and Daffodil was either Tulip or just Daffodil.

And that's basically it. :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:55:50 AM by Moonracer »

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Mostly we used their given names. For some reason though, Cool Breeze was "Palm". I wonder if we couldn't remember her name?? We remembered Little Flitter, Flurry, and Buzzer, our other childhood wingers!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »
Definitely not. They all had Finnish names in my herd. :P

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
I did see some episodes of the cartoon and had a few of the comics and a couple of annuals and other books, so some we knew the names of and called them by those names. We had a couple that were bought new, so again knew the names, although I never kept packaging so I think some names got muddled with time, ie Princess Brilliant Bloom became Princess Lavender. But mostly we tried to stick to the given name. Ones we'd got second hand and didn't know the name of we gave a name to do with the symbol, so Shady was "Shades" for example. Nearly there!

Jules x

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
The few ponies I had from new were all called by their own names.  Well, apart from Hair-Do Bangles and Beautiful Bows who got called Oranges 'n Lemons and Ribbons 'n Bows.  I got them both one Christmas and I think their packaging got thrown away in the rush before anybody had told me what their names were.  I pestered Mum for their names and was given those!  (I think she was sick of me keep asking and came up with the first thing that came into her head!)

Most of my ponies came to me second hand so I never knew their names.  If they were featured in the TV show or comics/books, they'd get called by their own names, otherwise I'd make something up based on their symbols.  Sadly I don't remember many of those names now.  As soon as I found out their real names, all my own names were replaced.  Sad really because I think a big part of my childhood herd was those names that got lost in the depths of time!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal