collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: international shipping with tracking - UPDATE, HELP PLEASE  (Read 671 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
international shipping with tracking - UPDATE, HELP PLEASE
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:58:29 AM »
Sweetbubbles (in the Netherlands) wants to buy some ponies from me, and we'd both like to get tracking on the package.  (I'm in the US.)  My post office tells me that tracking is only available for express/priority delivery, which is very expensive ($45 and up).  First class shipping would only cost $15, but tracking isn't available for that service.

So that's what they told me, but sweetbubbles says that she's sure she's had packages shipped from the US with tracking for only $20.  Is there something I don't know?

And the last time I checked, the private carriers (FedEx, UPS, etc.) weren't any better because they're set up to deliver only large shipments internationally.  So their international shipping categories are big, bigger, and biggest.  You can still send a small package, but you'll pay the same as you would for a much bigger one, and it'll still be around $50. 

So basically we're just looking for slow shipping with tracking from the US, something that will cost around $20.  Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:27:02 PM by kellyponyfeathers »
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: international shipping with tracking from the US
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 03:47:37 AM »
Perhaps she's referring to delivery confirmation? It kinda works like tracking. Just about every item that I've ever purchased from a US member on here or ebay has come with a number that typically allows you to track the item assuming it's being scanned throughout the journey here. This past year, I think I have only had 3-4 parcels that weren't showing the tracking properly, everything else has been great and I've been able to track it from the time the label is printed to the time it's delivered to my door.

I'm certain it's not referred to as tracking though, it's just supposed to provide you with the confirmation that it's been delivered. It's USPS First Class.

ETA: I'm currently tracking several ebay purchases this way, and it's been showing me every step of the shipping process, with regular updates on almost a daily basis. For example, I ordered 1 item on Sept 30 and it's already given me 10 updates, with the last one showing that it's now in Canada at the main sorting facility :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 03:55:20 AM by MikeysGrrrl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 05:28:39 AM »
Canada can be tracked through first class. That's the only country that can right now. Sometimes you can track through the customs number for other countties. True tracking for overseas is only available with priority and express.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »
With first class international, sometimes you an track a package online until it leaves the U.S. if you print it out via the USPS website. Once it is out of the country, they won't track it again usually. It might send you a notification that it's in customs and waiting for the other party to respond (I have gotten that before when tracking to Europe) but that's about it.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
If First Class International is purchased online, supposedly it is trackable to certain countries including the Netherlands.  Here's the USPS page that talks about it:
http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

How well it actually works is another matter.  Since they started offering it, I've had good luck with packages to Australia and New Zealand, and tracking in Canada has been excellent, but I've had limited success with the UK (some tracked while others did not).  I can't remember if I've sent anything to the Netherlands since tracking became available.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Sunlight

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
I've found it to vary incredibly; I think it honestly depends on the country at the moment whether they will scan the barcode or not.  I've had my first class tracking scanned in the UK, Canada, Poland, Germany and sometimes France, but not always.  I literally just shipped first class to the Netherlands and the USPS website appeared to say it would be tracked (delivery confirmation international).  So far, it hasn't left the states yet, so I can't say for sure that it will be scanned once arriving in the Netherlands.  I'll keep following it and post here with the answer.
Looking for Italian Sunlight w/ freckles and South African Sunlight!

Offline cassstorm

• Cheeky Monkey Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+442)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
If you print your own labels they automatically have a form of tracking now, I have had really good luck since I started using it, and I have shipped to several different countries. I am printing the labels through USPS not Paypal though.

Offline Sunlight

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
So, just to update, the package I sent to the Netherlands was scanned all the way through to delivery, so first class would include tracking if you buy it online.

I should add, however, that USPS will do NOTHING if first class international mail goes missing.  You cannot create an inquiry online, and on their website it clearly states their call center will not accept first class international inquiries.  I only know this because I recently had a package en route to Sweden go missing :(  So, the tracking is nice in that you as a seller will have confirmation that something was delivered, but it's not really any kind of insurance should something go amiss.
Looking for Italian Sunlight w/ freckles and South African Sunlight!

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: international shipping with tracking - UPDATE, HELP PLEASE
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone!  Can I get a little more help, since I've never done this before?

So I think I bought postage online and got my labels printed out, but I'm confused about the additional sheet they gave me with a barcode.

I'm sure I need the label from the top of the sheet on the left; I'll tape that securely to the package.

What about the "Online Label Record" from the bottom right corner of the sheet on the left?  Do I cut that out and tape it to the package too?

Then finally there's the sheet on the right with the barcode under "USPS SCAN."  Do I need to cut this out and tape it to the package in order to make it scannable?  Or is this just for me to keep so I can track the package from home?  I'm especially confused because that scan number doesn't match the scan numbers at the top of the left sheet.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:40:21 PM by kellyponyfeathers »
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline cassstorm

• Cheeky Monkey Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+442)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:51:38 PM »
the bottom half is for you to keep. The second "scan form" you should take to the post office with you and hand to them, most do not need it, but that way if they do you have it. The only one that goes on the package is the top half of the first page. If you take it to the post office they can give you a clear shipping sleeve to stick it in and it has self adhesive backing to stick on the package.  :) (They are free, once you have paid for your online label you pay for nothing else).

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »
I never bother with the scan form - I don't even let it print.  It's only purpose is to have an acceptance scan at the exact time you hand them the package which means you have to wait in line to have them do it instead of just dropping it off.  It's different than the one on the label because you can have multiple packages on it and one scan gets them all at once.  They'll scan the package when they process it anyway; so, I've found it to be a waste of time.  Unless you're worried they'll lose the package between the time you drop it off and when they process it; I would ignore that sheet.

You don't need the plastic sleeve for First Class either (you do for Priority); just tape that top half of the first sheet to the package and you're ready to go.  :D

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses!  Back to the PO tomorrow, I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal