collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Book Thread - What You've Read, What You're Reading, What You Want to Read  (Read 1068 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Recently my have/am/and will be reading has been devoted to Odd Thomas xD. Iv been reading through them and I really like them, but I can sense a bit of a repetitive problem, so Ill probably take a break after the one im reading right now "Odd Hours"

I really liked Brother Odd because it was so different and spooky, but otherwise they've been very similar from the next.

I also read Alex Delaware novels by Johnathan Kellerman. I tend to read those books as I find them. I found "The Clinic" in one of our "little free library's" and snagged it as a bread from Odd haha. It was alright, but I also run into the same problem with Kellerman where they're all kinda the same story lol.

Im going to read this whole thread, because Iv got another B&N Gift card and need new ideas xD
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile

I'm in a monthly book group, so I read books that I wouldn't normally pick up, and usually I'm glad for it. You really should be on Good Reads!

Oh, I have an account there. But I still find it completely overwhelming!

Ooo, May I add you to my friend list?  :D  Here is the link to my profile  https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/33346489-ashley

Yeah, it can be overwhelming (I only joined a few months ago), but it is nice keeping track of what I've read and books that I would like to read.  And it is fun seeing what other people are reading.  :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:00:48 AM by ashes »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline amazonarabian

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
I also finally read The Hunger Games. I'm currently reading Catching Fire. Yeah, I'm behind the times on this one, haha
Don't feel bad. I finally read this whole series in September through November of 2013 (quickest I've read anything!). Way behind on the times too.
I read a book called the Owl Keeper last summer; it's YA, I recommend it, it's a quick easy read and kinda fun in an odd way...

I've always wanted to read Battle Royale. Has anyone here tried it?

Battle Royale was phenomenal.  A friend loaned me all the books several years ago, and I really need to go out and purchase them myself so I have them all to reread and loan out.  I was kinda mad when Hunger Games came out, honestly, although everyone will of course have their own opinion.
The best thing about Battle Royale is that it takes you in depth to every character's past.  They're not randomly-drawn, either; it's an entire high school class that is chosen, so everyone is interconnected and has preexisting relationships.  Boyfriends are pitted against girlfriends, bestie against bestie.  It's quite traumatic. 
And with glimpses into their pasts, everyone is humanized- the struggling nerd, the sexually abused class slut, the pressured jock, the loner.
Quite fantastic, although difficult to stomach every now and then.  The art is beautiful and horrible all at once.
Highly recommended! 
Thank you, brightberry, for my lovely avi.

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Recently my have/am/and will be reading has been devoted to Odd Thomas xD. Iv been reading through them and I really like them, but I can sense a bit of a repetitive problem, so Ill probably take a break after the one im reading right now "Odd Hours"

I love odd thomas and have read them all upto date:) i would also recommend his frankienstien series too if you have not read them x

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
I also finally read The Hunger Games. I'm currently reading Catching Fire. Yeah, I'm behind the times on this one, haha
Don't feel bad. I finally read this whole series in September through November of 2013 (quickest I've read anything!). Way behind on the times too.
I read a book called the Owl Keeper last summer; it's YA, I recommend it, it's a quick easy read and kinda fun in an odd way...

I've never heard of it. Would be curious what it is about.

For those that enjoy that kind of what happens to people in the future after doomsday I recommend the book 'Life as we Knew it.' It's an easy read like Hunger Games, but is a bit more relatable to our times. Looks like since I read it 4 years ago there's a whole series... (I read more books when I worked in a High School library.)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs

I love odd thomas and have read them all upto date:) i would also recommend his frankienstien series too if you have not read them x

Oh yeah! Ill definitely check that out thanks!
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile

I've never heard of it. Would be curious what it is about.

For those that enjoy that kind of what happens to people in the future after doomsday I recommend the book 'Life as we Knew it.' It's an easy read like Hunger Games, but is a bit more relatable to our times. Looks like since I read it 4 years ago there's a whole series... (I read more books when I worked in a High School library.)

Well I heard about it years ago and to me it sounds like the original Hunger Games, only a darker, less kid-friendly, less commercialized version (which is how I feel a story like this should be presented). I know the author of the Hunger Games claims she never heard of it, but who really knows? It's a Japanese novel published in 1999 and 2003 in English. Based on what I know about the two series, I much prefer the world created in portrayed in Battle Royale.

The story tells of junior high school students who are forced to fight each other to the death in a program run by the authoritarian Japanese government, now known as the Republic of Greater East Asia.

I've read the whole synopsis but I have yet to read the book or see the movie.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature

I'm in a monthly book group, so I read books that I wouldn't normally pick up, and usually I'm glad for it. You really should be on Good Reads!

Oh, I have an account there. But I still find it completely overwhelming!

Aww, I made my mom and my roommate make Goodreads accounts and they're overwhelmed, too. But you don't have to go crazy with it -- it has taken me years to get most of my books on there. If you just want to use the site to read book reviews and stuff, though, you could do that, too! I joined the Goodreads group that someone from this thread made for the Arena. We need more members -- last I checked there were only three of us! :)

Also, I have totally been meaning to read (OR watch) Battle Royale. I really don't know why I haven't yet. :/

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
If it's okay, I'm bumping this thread back up, and I'm also wondering if we could get the Goodreads group linked in the first post? I think it's a really great idea and would love to have more pony friends on Goodreads.

Here's the link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/147388-mlp-arena-book-lovers-club

And I'm Kirsten -- the one with an 18th century hipster as my avatar. ;P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal