collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NEW UPDATE! How color fast is the animal print in the hair of the new G4 babies?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE! How color fast is the animal print in the hair of the new G4 babies?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »
Holy crap, guys!  I finished some more trials and actually had to call my husband into the kitchen to make sure he was seeing what I was seeing and that he was watching me to make sure I was *actually* testing this hair in stuff... From my last update:

*Cold water does not damage the hair pattern.  Nor does actively (and relatively aggressively) wringing the cold water out from the hair.
*Conditioner (I used Suave Naturals), rinsed with cold water did not damage the hair pattern.  It was again wrung out after this test.

Now, I did a few more tests, per questions that popped up and things that I thought of along the way and this is what I found today...

*Actively boiling water, when the hair is dunked in, did NOT damage the hair pattern.
*A super concentrated mixture of boiling water and Oxy Clean (about a cups worth of boiling water poured over about a quarter of a scoop of Oxy Clean) with the hair dunked in and swished around and then rinsed with normal temperature tap water did NOT damage the hair pattern.
*Shampoo (I used Cowboy Magic... don't judge ;) ) relatively aggressively worked in and then rinsed with normal temperature tap water did NOT damage the hair pattern.

Then... I started getting kind of determined to actually *cause* damage to the hair pattern.  So I grabbed my nail polish remover (Cutex Strengthening Nail Polish Remover, vitamin and protein enriched formula... not sure what percentage of acetone it has in it, but it has a purple label) and dunked the hair in.  And I swished it around and the pattern still stuck (it *might* have bled a bit, but not enough that I was able to confirm a "Yup!  This damages it!").  So I got sort of mad and then even started trying to rub the nail polish remover soaked hair between my fingers.  And the pattern still stuck.  That's when I had to call my husband in for confirmation because I'm terrified that I wasn't seeing correct results and someone would hurt their ponies.  But at least for this little Apple Bloom, NOTHING seems to be damaging the hair pattern.  Kind of makes me wonder what the heck Hasbro did with this hair, lol!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Well that's good to hear-I'm sure it will fade with time (sun exposure and color leeching out) but it is a relief to know that the hair can be brushed and washed normally with no fear of damage :)

I'd really like a set of these ponies, but was hoping for a sale at some point...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
LOL! Wow! Thats pretty impressive stuff then! Nice to know.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Ossie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Merch
Wow, I didn't expect Hasbro to make it this durable! Great tests and thanks for sharing :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MLP Merch Blog | MLP Merch Databases

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
That is good to know :)

Offline Tulip

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Great big gold star for Katika!
Back after a 6+ year hiatus!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Wow, I didn't expect Hasbro to make it this durable! Great tests and thanks for sharing :)

That's exactly what I was thinking and why I made my husband double check everything I was doing.  I seriously thought I was going crazy or missing something because it just doesn't seem to add up in my mind that this pattern is so darned durable! 

I'll try to get my hands on some pure acetone sometime to give that a go, too.  I've also been checking her every day since I began testing her to see if there's any time-delayed effects going on, but so far, so good!  Let me know if there's anything else any of you want me to subject her to ;)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
It is likely fused to the core all the way through the hair. As if the hair where transparent then dyed with high quality dye, rather than haveing a base color red the entire thing is dyed with like a stamp. At least this is what I would think.

:accomplished:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Woah, that's amazing! I never imagined their hair would be so durable! Monster High needs to take a leaf out of Hasbro's book, it seems ;)

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Great to know!  Honestly, as a parent, I'd be upset if my kid got it wet and it washed out, but I'm surprised that it withstood acetone.  Well played, Hasbro.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Woah, that's amazing! I never imagined their hair would be so durable! Monster High needs to take a leaf out of Hasbro's book, it seems ;)

I actually never thought I'd hear this said, with the whole MH vs EQD going on - proves ponies are still the best, haha!

Back on topic - Thankyou! I am SOOOO buying me a set of these now!!!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile

I actually never thought I'd hear this said, with the whole MH vs EQD going on - proves ponies are still the best, haha!

Haha, same! I still prefer MH in general (compared to Equestria Girls, I mean), but I definitely prefer MLP's way of adding markings to hair :D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal