collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need courage!! (Considering self-publishing)  (Read 854 times)

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
Need courage!! (Considering self-publishing)
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
About 10 years ago, I wrote a contemporary romance book (when I was about 22). Every once in a while over the years I have read it, added, and edited. I have finally come to the point that I am considering self-publishing this book. But... ACK! I am so scared!! I am a fairly private person. Am I really going to let people have a view right into my mind??

While I'm reading it, I love it; it makes me laugh; it makes me fall in love with my characters all over again. And in the moment I feel: I should definitely publish this! As soon as I finish it and a day goes by, the doubts start creeping in.

For one thing, only some people enjoy reading romances. And there are a couple of obligatory "love scenes," though they are not strange or overly detailed. Still that's a little embarrassing, and of course the people who know me are mostly the ones who will read it. Self-publishing will mean I will be limited on who I can reach.

Basically when I think seriously about publishing it, I get a nervous feeling as if I have to give a speech later. I wish I felt more sure about this! Any advice?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Need courage!! (Considering self-publishing)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
Well depending on how you go about self publishing, I would imagine you could change your mind at anytime before it happens, so why not start the process? You may find you have more courage once you get ready to hit the "publish" button after you've gone that far. And, if not, you can always hit the button later.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Congratulations! Actually finishing a novel is a HUGE step, and you have already been over that hurdle! That's major!

I manage a chain bookstore, and manage the consignment titles with the local authors who sell there, so I get to hear their publishing woes first hand, so I might be able to help a bit.

Have you thought of a pen name? I have a few authors who were nervous to publish under their real name and they decided this was a good way around it, would that be feasible for you?

Or what about e book publishing first to get a feel for it? That's how E.L. James started and well, we all know how that ended up for her!  :biggrin:
This would also help with the "only people I know will read it" issue. If enough strangers give you great feedback about it, then maybe going the paper/ink route won't be as scary because you know people like it. Romance is my bestselling section in the store, second only to Teen books. I kid you not.   

It's not an easy thing, becoming a published author and having your inner most thoughts read by everyone. But if you believe in your story, and want people to be able to enjoy it too, then go for it.

What's that saying? YOLO?

Hope this advice helps, and please let us know what you end up deciding! Who knows, maybe there is some published authors on the arena here who can give you some solid advice?

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 03:00:41 PM »
Sending biggest hugest happiest good luck vibes, LittleHoneyPie!

Offline Delphian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
Self-publishing will mean I will be limited on who I can reach.

This is becoming less true every day! Even the big New York publishing houses are paying attention to self-published authors. I do some freelance graphic design work and I've made several ebook covers, including some for romance. What I've learned from those writers is that people really do judge books by their cover. If you're dead set on self-publishing, HIRE A DESIGNER for the cover. Do NOT skimp on this part. You'll end up with a kid in school who makes awful clip art covers if you do and sad to say, but people will look at a subpar cover and assume your story is subpar as well.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »
Romance sells really well on Amazon. I have friends who are published with major houses (Simon, Random, Harper) and have decided to self-publish, mainly because of the control and royalty fees they get. It takes courage but it's an awesome leap.

You can always publish underneath a pen name..visit AbsoluteWriter.com's boards and see what other self-pubbed romance writers say etc. Choose a great cover - yes, hire someone.

Be careful about pricing. Don;'t price too high or low.

Most of all..

DO IT. You'll be unlike the millions of others who dream of one day writing a book.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:32 AM »
Great advice, everyone! Thanks for your comments!

I do think I will use a pen name that is close to my real name. A little distance from myself will probably feel a little more comfortable.

I definitely want it to look professional, so hiring a designer for the cover is a great idea! I guess it is going to be more money to do this project than I originally imagined. I am lucky I have a supportive husband.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »
I'm going to be stalking this thread a bit, if you don't mind... If I stay on task, I think I'll have my first novel (written from 2003 through 2008 - yikes!) ready to begin the self publishing phase around the beginning of November.  Any advice I can glean from "been there done that" types would be fantastic! ;)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
I cant really add anything save for the fact that I do want to eventually write my own series of books, too :)

Best of luck with everything!

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Delphian

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:56:43 AM »
I'm glad to hear you're willing to hire a designer! You'll love the results. :D It'd probably be easier if you found someone who's done ebooks before too. Every website seems to have their own cover size so it can get confusing unless you only plan to sell on Amazon or only on iTunes, etc. Also, you really need to have someone who can make an image look compelling even when it's shrunk down to thumbnail size and that's where experience with ebooks comes in handy. And be aware that you're likely going to have the additional cost of stock photo purchases. Prices vary a lot on those so just ask your designer for an estimate before you begin.

I just remembered something that reminded me of your embarrassment of certain scenes! I was at a show and the singer for the opening act was talking about how she's constantly on the road and can't justify renting or buying a place to live. She said she just stays with her parents when she's back "home." One day she was practicing a song and after it was done, her mom walked in and said, "is this song about adult relations?"  :lol:

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
If you are nervous about self-publishing you could look into a hybrid publisher like Entangled Publishing, LLC.  Hybrid publishing is also gaining a lot of ground in the respectable arena of publishing.  Back in the day self publishing or hybrid publishing was kind of looked down upon.  That's really not the case anymore. 

I say go for it! Just remember once you self publish most agents/traditional publishers will not look at the manuscript because it's not previously unpublished and they've lost the chance at first publishing rights.  If sales were good, then I'm sure you could work something out.  Many don't accept reprints for consideration.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »
I second Entangled, because they actually buy your book and do the marketing.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »
The royalties are high too, not as high as self publishing, but I guess they do much of the work.  They have editors, publicists, designers.  Reviews are mostly positive.  I know it's a little daunting since many of their covers are half naked men posing for the camera, but that's just how romance is. ^^

"Certain titles will be offered as simultaneous print and digital releases, with print royalties that begin at 7.5% of cover price. Simultaneous print and digital releases receive 20% of cover price on ebooks. All digital-first releases receive up to 35% of cover price on ebooks."

I believe Macmillan distributes for their printed works.  Most romance is ebook, their young adult stuff is more often in print.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
Thanks again, everyone, for your input! This is really helping me think seriously about the publishing part and not be so nervous! :)

I was just looking at the Entangled website. I hadn't heard of this before. I must say, my book seems to fit exactly under the "Red Hot Bliss" category, even the word count. It is certainly tempting to turn it over to a professional and say, "Here you go. You know what you're doing."

On the other hand, it would be really difficult to relinquish control of "my baby." And not have any say on what the cover looks like.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal