collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best Way To Sell a Massive Collection?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline LadySeashell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way To Sell a Massive Collection?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »
I'm not a seller, though I should be, my duplicates are duplicating.  >_< I just wanted to say that although I've never talked to you, I have noticed for years now that you dream of Vancouver (I'm a ferry ride away from Van, in Victoria. I'll actually be going there tomorrow for 5 days :D )

Anyway I know it's painful to let go of your collection, but I understand why your doing it. I wish you luck with your sales, and all the best in Vancouver.  :work:
I know your going to get this advice a lot but hold onto some of the harder to find ones, you might never get them back again, and truly regret it.

What university are you planning on attending :)

**Lady seashell**

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
I know your going to get this advice a lot but hold onto some of the harder to find ones, you might never get them back again, and truly regret it.

Oh man, I forgot to mention this! I'd say, unless you're REALLY hard-up for money, save the one-of-a-kind stuff, if you can. Thailand Tornado, etc., stuff like that will be impossible to replace if you decide you want it again later. But then again, your education is priceless, so it's a tough decision you gotta make. :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 10:43:50 PM »
Have you thought about a little "ponymarket"? I remember two sisters who wanted to sell thier collection who made a "fleamarket" kind of thing.  As far as i know, they picked a day on the weekend and everyone from the forum could visit them that day and they displayed everything the wanted to sell.
Would that be an option?
maybe someone else remembers more about the sisters?
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »
Everything Snapdragon said.

And is it too late to get a booth at the UK Pony convention? It might be a good experience, you could still enjoy and interact with the pony community and sell to pony people, make a lot of personal contacts and probably sell whatever ponies you've priced and are ready to let go of.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 01:22:59 AM »
I was going to suggest what emuel did :) I went to the house of two sisters who are members here and they threw a bit of a pony party and sold their collection at the same time. I would absolutely travel to London (4 hours away!) to 'shop' with you!

Other than that, it can save a lot of time by taking group photos of ponies but selling them individually. Also, if they're not particularly messy don't worry about cleaning them either to save some time. Just put them on as they are. We as collectors are used to seeing ponies that aren't perfectly groomed and seeing their potential regardless.

Just as a thing to think about, it costs £19.99 for an ebay shop per month and you get 100 free listings (as opposed to the 20 you now get with ebays new way of doing things) plus the 100 free weekend listings that sellers are offered a couple of times per month and your final value fee is 8% rather than 10%. I just signed up for one and you can cancel any time. So you could use it to get more free listings (it works out cheaper paying the £19.99 if you take advantage of the extra free listings ebay sends invites for) and could cancel when you're done.

Unless you get an offer that really hits the mark on some of the rarer items on here then you'll definitely maximise your profits on ebay.

If you did offer some of the pricier items here then offering payments in instalments will also increase your profits. I can appreciate it being a bit time-sensitive but even offering payment in two instalments can mean people can offer more cash for your items.

I'm actually really trying to think of some way I can help you with this because yours is a name that I've seen around here a long time and it's sad that you have a situation like this that means you're selling up and not going to be around any more but I also remember your avatar has been 'dreaming of Vancouver' for such a long time that this is a great thing that you're finally getting a chance to do. I don't know if/how I could help but even if it's just "aaahhh Sarah, these sales are driving me batty" then just PM me, ok?

Hugs xx

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 01:33:43 AM »
Yeah heck, I'm temped to stop by for a pony buying party and I live mid-country USA.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 01:38:16 AM »
I would start by piecing out the MOC items if you aren't too attached to them, and selling the Dream Beauties. That'll bring about quite a bit of money and would be a good starting point. Then maybe doing smaller lots and some piecing of the ponies. How quickly are you wanting to have enough money and be gone?

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 03:42:50 AM »
You can search the price check archives too. There's a lot of recent ones.

As far as selling, look for toys shows, antique shows, anywhere you and your ponies will be welcome. And buy a booth. Also I'd plan on a fair trip next summer to clear out anything that's left.

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 05:37:25 AM »
Really good advice so far. Only thing I can add is have you thought about hiring a van and getting a couple of stalls at the Con? Leicester isn't that far

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »
Lots of options.
For my move
flawed/common low cost things = lots 
htf/sought after more mint were sold as singles, but often these would also be sold to someone buying other things from me. You can always give preference to anyone willing to buy more at once.

start with things with the least sentimental feelings, and things that are not in good condition. Common ponies that would need restoring I personally found harder to sell individually (I'm in Canada and shipping prices are prohibitive) in the city, I sold them by the box, and quickly with online classifieds. I priced the boxes to move, I had some really poor ponies I didn't charge much at all for (rusty bbe's etc). I personally found once that accumulation was gone I felt GREAT. I had a lot more space, and was happy with what money I did receive.

If the paint and body is nice and the only issue is missing hair take advantage of the rehairing trend. Ponies that people would want to rehair could fetch you better prices in small lots. Same with common dirty bald spotted so softs, deflocking is also something that has picked up.

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
The only thing I would suggest would be to let international buyers in. If the pony was right I'd be willing to pay postage all the way to New Zealand and I'm sure others would be the same.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
I think there is some really good advice here :bigups:

Really good advice so far. Only thing I can add is have you thought about hiring a van and getting a couple of stalls at the Con? Leicester isn't that far

That would be a good option I think!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline DalaPony

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »
I can't really add to the good advice already on this thread, but wanted to say good luck with whatever you end up doing!  I know from experience how daunting it can be making a new start, but it's worth it in the long run, especially if it gets you out of an unhappy situation and closer to achieving your dream.  Also, I'm based in London too, so do PM me if you need help with anything.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
I was going to second Sebbys suggestion about the Con - its the best way to clear and get good prices as well. If nothing else perhaps you could consider doing that for your duplicates and perhaps the harder to sell ponies such as G3 if you have any.

As to the rest; no matter what way you look at it selling a collection of that size is a massive undertaking and its going to take a lot of time and effort and energy. The one thing I would suggest is have all the grunt work done before you list (here or ebay). Get your pictures, get the notes on the issues they have, get a set price; do this for a stack of ponies in one go (perhaps 2 or 3 sets) and get them listed. Sit back and wait for people to come to you - you have done the work, now its just a matter of the transaction. Repeat the process with a new stack of ponies every now and again. Hopefully things will sell before you have listed more. That should mean you do not become swamped with messages and transactions.

And most of all good luck whichever decision you decide to make :hug:
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Blushes

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 05:13:53 AM »
Maybe you could do them in lots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal