collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony show & tell: I've had a fantastic month! Read all about it!  (Read 234 times)

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
Hello all! I've had a few adventures recently which I've been wanting to share, so here they are, in three parts:

1.) In Which Fluttershy and Posey See Snow

I live in Tasmania, which has a reputation for being cold but doesn't actually see as much snow as we think it does. Fortunately, we got our snow for the year recently! It was like someone had dumped a bag of icing sugar all over Mt Wellington! Here's a picture one of my friends took.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So I went on a drive with my family up to some other, more remote mountains for a day in the snow. I wore my pyjamas under my clothes and snow gear to stay warm and toasty, and packed some gingerbread men I made with my sister, some good books and pony friends! When we got to the snow, however, it was pure chaos. The road up the mountain wasn't wide enough for two lanes of traffic, so cars were attempting to pull over to let others through and getting stuck, and then cars that tried to tow them out were getting stuck too, and all the while it was absolutely freezing. There were times when we had to drive in reverse for a good ten minutes or so, and there was one occasion where we literally had to get out and push a car to spin it around so it could drive in the opposite direction. :P

We finally made it to a place where we could stop and get out, though, and I took my ponies out exploring with me! Here are pictures:

Fluttershy stands next to a mysterious mound of snow

Hoofprints!

Posey!

I also made a snow tiger.

Nobody else wanted to get out and play in the snow with me, by the point I started on the snow tiger. We'd only been stopped for 10 minutes or so and all they wanted to do was huddle in the car and eat lunch and go back home :P If I'd had more time, I would have definitely put stripes on the tiger and perhaps taken some more pictures.

I fell asleep in the car on the way home. It felt good to be a kid again.

2.) In Which I Have A Rollercoaster Of A Weekend

The second thing that happened to me, just this weekend gone, was the MLP:CCG fiasco. Our local comic book store decided to hold a tabletop gaming convention over the weekend, featuring board games, collectible card games, roleplaying games and such. The MLP card game was one of these games! In fact, they were going to hold the Regional Championships there!

I was super excited, since I knew there were some pretty sweet prizes up for grabs. I spent the entire week leading up to the event reading up on the comprehensive rules and popular strategies, buying a ton of boosters (probably around 15 total), and trying to build the perfect deck with the cards I had available. I posted about the event in my local brony group, but didn't really yell it out from the rooftops because I was worried that there might be lots of other people better than me there- oh, if only I'd known.

The Saturday rolls up and I'm super excited and ready to go! I head out with a friend.

"Where's the hotel the convention's being held at, again?" I ask.
"...I don't know! Here, I'll ask this app on my phone and it'll give us directions straight to it," he replied.

Long story short, his phone led us in the wrong direction for half an hour and when I found out what had happened, I was really stressed and frustrated and just about ready to kick something. We found it in the end, though. I make my way to the counter, ...only to find that the event, is on, tomorrow.

:faint:

The next day! My friend has gone back home, but my housemate offered to go with me instead. We leave earlier this time, and get to the hotel a whole hour early, giving us ample time to check out the other games and grab a bowl of tasty wedges. 20 minutes before the event is due to start, I go to put my name down and pay my entrance fee. I walk over to the table, sit down, unroll my playmat, open my card tin and realise with sinking horror that I've left my deck at home!

I race over to the judge and pant in terror: "I've left my deck at home! Is there any chance I can go and get it?"
Judge says: "Well, it doesn't look like we've got many people turned up, so- where do you live? Oh, sure!"

Housemate and I proceed to leg it out of the hotel and into town to catch a taxi. The taxi takes us all the way home, where I turn the house upside down for a good solid five minutes, until I finally spot my deck under the couch- and takes us back to the hotel. Total fare: $66. I give my card to my housemate to pay on my behalf and DASH INSIDE and the judge greets me casually and I find out -

nobody else had turned up to play.

All that stress for nothing!

I hang out at a table on my own, with my housemate friend for company, and shuffle my deck. Nobody turns up. I shuffle some more. Nobody turns up. The judge comes over to tell us that if nobody appears in half an hour, then I may very well win by default. Another hour passes. Nobody turns up.

I raise my eyes to spot the judge moving through the crowd with an armful of stuff, wearing this ridiculous grin on my face, and I can't help but share it as I catch on to what's about to happen.

"Hello there! Thanks for competing in Tasmania's MLP CCG Regional Championships! Since you entered, here's [prize #1]. Since you finished in the top 8, here's [3 more of prize #1]. Since you finished in the top 4, here's [prize #2]. Since you came second or better, here's [prize #3.] And since you came first, here's [prize #4], plus your awesome framed certificate!"

I was honestly too shocked and delighted to pay much attention to what he was saying. I mean, wouldn't you be too if you were just handed ALL THIS LOOT?!

So that happened! I did eventually get a game in with somebody (won 2-0), though, so that was fun.

Here's a picture of all my promo loot so far (including prerelease events). I had all this valued at around $500!

I do feel kind of half-troubled about winning all this stuff without winning it- but it did serve some secondary good, since now there's a Facebook group for Tasmanian MLP:CCG players, and our local comic book/game store has promised to hold some learn-to-play events. So hopefully, more people to play and trade with~ ^.^

3.) In Which I Get My First Piece Of Art Commissioned

This isn't so much a tell as it is a show, but I got my very first art commission this evening! I asked a mutual friend of my boyfriend and I if she wouldn't mind drawing a picture of our ponysonas snuggling, and I'm very happy with the result. I think I'm going to commission some more artists and build a small collection. Here's her Facebook page.

And that's it! Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:24:08 AM by moonsugar »
:fox:

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Lol, so cute!  :hug:

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Pony show & tell: I've had a fantastic month! Read all about it!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:39:33 AM »
looks like you had a great time! love your snow tiger though I gotta admit, it seems weird to me to see snow when its August :cold:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:41:37 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »
What an exciting pony-orientated time you have had! I adore that first picture of Fluttershy in the snow. :heart:
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »
Wow!  It sounds like you have had lots of really great pony adventures lately! I really enjoyed reading about them.

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal