collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: WIP pictures- making pony mobile  (Read 1806 times)

Offline CopperBluJu

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
WIP pictures- making pony mobile
« on: August 07, 2014, 06:50:15 PM »
I really am one pony play set away from going off my rocker (and it happens to be in the mail)

I'm expecting my first baby, a girl, around the end of the month. My first project is a mobile.

Idea
Spoiler
I want to make a version of the  Sweet Dreams Crib mobile. I was thinking a scalloped lamp shade painted up might make a decent canopy. Now I don't actually own this play set, are the ponies on the mobile pink purple blue and yellow? I thought walking pose ponies would match nicely. I have a bait posey and lickety split. I need a blue and purple. Anybody have a super bait caramel crunch for the purple? Anybody have idea for the blue? I want the ponies to be solid colored, no symbols with body and hair the same shade. I'm going to use real hair and not sculpt.

The problems
Spoiler
I have an extra posey and two cherry treats, one with chew marks the other not white with slight symbol bleed. Would anybody kill me if I used them? I'm sure I have another walking pose bait around if it is.

Is dyeing either of those ponies going to work? or should I just paint?

Has anybody lacquered a pony? I would like to get a shiny pony if possible.

Attaching a pony to the canopy. Pony on a rope or pony on a stick? I'm thinking pony on a stick, has anybody done something like that before?

If anybody has some close ups of the mobile with the ponies I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your creative input. I'm feeling a little crazy this last month and I would love a good creative discussion.
 I'm one mood swing away from creating a full scale dream castle and painting a full room mural of pony land.

UPDATE

The girls getting ready.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Prepped painted and drying.

Painted with some glaze. I think I might go over again with more paint as I missed a few spots. Posey and Lickety both got FBR in their same colors. Licketys got her new tail. Posey is sporting her partially painted 'pole'
Blue looks a little dark in the pic but I think she is lighter. (You can also see Cherry taking a nap on my new playset)

One days good work I think. I'll get the lampshade on Tuesday, but I'm hoping the painting, glazing, and ropes will be done on these three with Lickety having a mane. Still have to decide which Cherry Treats becomes my fourth.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:43:08 PM by CopperBluJu »

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: off my rocker- making pony mobile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
I'm sorry I don't have any ideas....but I just had to say congrats on your first baby!!! I had my baby girl almost 2 and 1/2 years ago now. It seems like just yesterday I was in that last month. Such an exciting time. I hope everything goes well for you in labor and of course with your pony project. I wish I would have thought of a pony nursery.....maybe next time.  :)

InkyMomo

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:39:56 AM »
I'm sure this can be done. You have my brain cogs turning now.

You could always try spray painting them with the stuff like sticks to Vinyl for a nice even coating.

As for Lacquer I did a quick search and people who customise Munnys (Vinyl toys) really recommend Krylon. It apparently comes in Crystal Clear Satin, Crystal Clear Gloss, Triple thick gloss, and Matte finish. Apparently you have to layer it to get things really shiny. We can't get Krylon in the UK so really I have no idea what I am parroting here.  :wonder:

For your actual mobile, I would recommend putting them on sticks as I always find that heavier objects always hang lop sided when I attach them to string. No one wants droopy ponies.

I think if you got a scalpel and a wooden dowel, it could work. This is just one idea, so don't feel like you have to go with it. You could make a small hole in the back and the tummy of the pony and then push the dowel right through. I would then either glue a bead or a disk on the bottom of the stick to stop the pony from falling off.

Alternatively you could just glue a bead on the end of the stick and gently push it through a hole in the back, so it doesn't pop back out. Similar to how My Little Pony tails don't pull back through.

Just a could of ideas for you.  ^.^

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 06:58:39 PM »

The problems
I have an extra posey and two cherry treats, one with chew marks the other not white with slight symbol bleed. Would anybody kill me if I used them? I'm sure I have another walking pose bait around if it is.

No one will kill you :P If it helps, those are pretty common as long as Cherry Treats isn't bright white.

Is dyeing either of those ponies going to work? or should I just paint?

Dyeing is unpredictable.  There is no guarantee it won't fade, won't color evenly, and won't bleed.  Paint is the safest bet for a keepsake.

Has anybody lacquered a pony? I would like to get a shiny pony if possible.

Lacquer is enamel based and never really cures (that I've heard of) on a pony.  Shiny is tricky, most shiny sprays and sealants end up sticky over time and hard to clean.  Testor's Dullcote or possible matte modge podge have stood the time test the best so far.  If you are interested and only need solid colors I could probably airbrush and seal whatever you need.  I have lots of baits.

Attaching a pony to the canopy. Pony on a rope or pony on a stick? I'm thinking pony on a stick, has anybody done something like that before?

Totally personal choice, I like the look of the rope, the pony moves more and would be more interesting to watch though not always "perfect" Big congrats on the bundle of joy!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 07:57:53 PM »
This stuff!  It dries clear and glittery and the hologram stuff goes on nice and evenly.  Shiny, sparkly ponies.  For hanging, maybe a combo of ideas?  A hole in the back with the rope passed in, then knotted on the inside maybe.  I can't wait for pics!!!
http://www.plaidonline.com/folkart-extreme-glitter-hologram-5-oz/48/2782/product.htm
:socks:   :frog:

Gloomygirl777

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
The more I thought about it...I think that the ponies on sticks would make it look more like a carousel which would be adorable...once it was all painted up. No idea how to do it but I love the idea.

Offline CopperBluJu

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »
Love the carousel idea. I'm trying to convince my husband to buy me a full sized unpainted carousel horse that I can turn into a rocking horse. (Glory or Princes Tiffany inspired.. or ..or ..or !!! so many ideas)

Well I found hair for two ponies but my paints are completely MIA! Oh joy of moving. Pictures will have to be postponed until I can buy more.

I'm trying to turn rope into a stick. Might soak it in mod podge then paint it a brass color, its already quite rigid. Had to twist it myself out of bailing twine. More at a crafty stage now but I'll get to the ponies hopefully tomorrow. I know my rehairing tools is around her somewhere.

Offline CopperBluJu

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: WIP pictures- making pony mobile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:31 PM »
Spent the day painting and finishing rehairing. I really love how the lampshade turned out. I had to paint the trimming since the pink and blue seeped into it. Almost want to buy another one to paint to match my living room. I watered down my acrylics into a water color. Not quite the colors of the Sweet dreams crib but I was afraid to mix the right color incase I ran out. I set the shade over another lamp so I could see how the ponies will look. They are not attached just standing under it. Lickety's hair glue is drying, and she will need a new paint job since it cracked around the ears. I may just leave it since I'm out of that mixed color and hope the hair hides it.

Anybody have any ideas about the cloud part of the mobile? I'm tempted not to try it.

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
Sculpt the cloud? I'd use a bunch of spheres, stick them together, then fill in the gaps... Then thickly paint to cover cracks. I don't sculpt things very often, but that's what I would do. Use something lightweight so it won't be too heavy.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »
Is the cloud structural? If not I say something light in weight like cotton balls. The mobile is already heavy with the ponies and the shade (then again I don't know how heavy normal mobiles are supposed to be lol)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

InkyMomo

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »
You could try sewing them from white socks? I've found when sewing sock dolls that spheres stitch together quite nicely. You could make a bunch of little spheres out of babies socks and stitch them together to make cloud shapes.

Or maybe needle felted clouds?

Also I forgot to say, that is looking gorgeous!  :shocked:I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
That's going to be amazing!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »
What a cute idea!

Post Merge: August 13, 2014, 11:56:30 AM

Oh- as for suggestions for the cloud- what about paper mache ?

Or this lady had a creative idea with baloons and fiber-fill http://thefarmchicks.com/2012/07/31/how-to-make-a-cloud/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:56:30 AM by Galactica »

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
neat!
I'd recommend trying to get a more common pony than cherry treats. She's awfully popular even with flaws. The bite mark one is a maybe - pics would help, but she's still wanted offwhite and possibly with bite marks.

I hope you're saving the tails for those of us that restore ;)

the FBRs look so nice !!

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline CopperBluJu

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
neat!
I'd recommend trying to get a more common pony than cherry treats. She's awfully popular even with flaws. The bite mark one is a maybe - pics would help, but she's still wanted offwhite and possibly with bite marks.

I hope you're saving the tails for those of us that restore ;)

the FBRs look so nice !!
Thanks- they are the best FBR I have ever managed. Its my most irritating part of customizing, and I no longer have the right air compressor to run my airbrush.

In the end I couldn't bring myself to bait either of the Cherries. I did however find another baity Lickety Split. None of the girls had tails and the mane hair was about as ratty as it can get. The Cherries are either going to be in my collection or in my sale bin for someone else. I just have not had the time to round up 300 or so ponies to sell.

Paper Mache! That might be perfect, although messy. I seem to make disastrous messes with the stuff. Thats a great place for me start planning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal