collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did anyone else prefer the second HTTYD movie to the first?  (Read 757 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Dreamworks have done something which (is in my opinion) very rare, and made a sequel which is better than the first movie. I saw the first How To Train Your Dragon movie a few years ago and thought "meh", so had no interest in seeing the second one. However I was taken to the cinema to see it, and I thought it was amazing. I've never liked a sequel more than the first movie before. Does anyone else agree?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Did anyone else prefer the second HTTYD movie to the first?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
Haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »
To be honest, I can't decide lol. I was so excited for the second one because I really enjoyed the first one, and I have seen the second one multiple times now, but there is that ONE scene (anyone who has seen the movie knows the one I'm talking about. Yes. That one. lol) that gives me pause and makes it a teeny tiny less enjoyable for me.

So as not to spoil anything for those who haven't seen the movie:

Spoiler
I give major props to DreamWorks for what they did. Killing a character on screen in what is considered a kids movie is very rare and breaks that Disney mold of everything is sunshine and roses all of the time which is a nice change. I also REALLY appreciate that they didn't just glaze over it, and spent some time dealing with the fact that for the remaining characters a really painful loss happened. But it was just so jarring and emotional, and I even knew it was going to happen when I first saw it! My only problem with it happening was.... I really liked his character! XD

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »
I really loved the first one; I also really love its music. I have the soundtrack and everything. I was a little worried about not liking the second, but when I saw it, I liked it, too; I just thought it seemed so different from the first one. More serious in what it portrays, I think (but not pompously so). So they're different, but both good. Yet, I don't think I'll buy the second on DVD. But I'll go see the third one (pretty sure there's going to be a third).

I didn't have too many issues with the second; just one . . .

Spoiler
My sister and I thought that although Hiccup's mom was a better character than we anticipated, we didn't think it made sense that she voluntarily stayed away all those years. If I had a baby and husband I loved, I'd come back to them -- forget about whether the village understood me or not! But I liked her overall. We thought the writers should have made her unable to come back somehow.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »
I have seen both movies ands I really enjoyed the second one but I'm always partial to first movies in series, because everything was introduced.  I really like the relationship between Toothless and Hiccup so I like when that was first introduced.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »
I honestly enjoyed both, but the second did seem a bit more exciting!

Spoiler
I loved Hiccup before, but I adored him in the second movie, I think they aged him well and only tweaked his personality enough to let you know, yeah hes been hanging out with dragons, hes gonna be a little bit braver xD but hes still got that clumsy goofball Hiccup side to him lol.
The death was a big big shock, but I dont think they did a bad job of it. My son did cry, but he had no interest in leaving the movie, he wanted to keep watching. (we had to leave Toy Story 3 during the garbage scene because it was pretty scary, he still doesn't like watching that one to the end)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »
I loved them both.

I'll admit I was VERY skeptical of a sequel, as the first film in my opinion was just magical and still gives me goosebumps when I see it. It had so much heart, and it right up there now in my most favourite films ever.

We took my daughter and a group of her friends to see No.2 - and both my hubby and I were thrilled that it was just as entertaining and stunning as the first. No disappointments whatsoever. I've only seen the second one the once though, so I'd have to side with no.1 for now, but I am definitely up for a second viewing of No.2 as soon as the opportunity arises!

I think No.2 though is one of those very rare moments where a sequel has been very well thought out and executed.

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 08:51:24 PM »
I loved both of them, but for different reasons.

The first one was so cute and funny. The characters were all charming and awkward, and it was a lighthearted movie overall. It was mostly the humor that I loved about the first movie. (Well, that and dragons!)

I loved the second one because it was so intense. (Also, again, dragons. I mean, everyone saw the Bewilderbeast, right? Was that epic or what?) It was still humorous like the first one, but it took a back seat to the action. The scene towards the beginning where they come across the destroyed fortress was absolutely incredible. Nothing in the first movie had that much of an impact for me.

I can't really decide which one I like better. I really loved both of them, but they were very different.

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »
I love them both because...dragons. Plus Toothless reminds me of my cat with some of his expressions.

Animation wise I think the second one is better, but I think everyone can agree on that. Animation improves almost on a yearly basis, so it is no wonder that the second one is better. I mean, look at all the detail to Toothless in the second and compare it to the first!

Story wise...that is a tough one. Both have good stories, but I think I like the first one a little bit more. I enjoy the darkness the second had, but there is just one point towards the end of the first one that can not be beaten.

Still, I like them both and I can't wait for the third one.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
Although I love both movies, I definitely loved the first one more than the second. I think it was a good sequel, but I liked the emphasis on the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless in the first movie. The second movie moved away from the Hiccup/Toothless relationship and gave more time for human-to-human relationships (like Hiccup and his dad, and Hiccup and his mom). There were definitely a lot of dragons in the sequel, but other than Hiccup and Toothless flying together, we don't see a lot of them building their relationship, which is what I loved about the first movie. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
I would have to watch the first one again to make a detailed comparison, but I liked them both. ^.^

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
I might take my girls tomorrow. We enjoyed the first one. Just wanted to point out
Spoiler
Disney killed off a character in The Princess and the Frog. I had my then 4 year old with me in the theatre and I remember thinking "bad mommy for assuming a Disney movie didn't need pre-screened." I caught me off guard. Disney movies have always had that dark edge to them but the non-villain death I was not prepared for. I'd say they broke their mold of movie formulas a while ago.
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »
I might take my girls tomorrow. We enjoyed the first one. Just wanted to point out
Spoiler
Disney killed off a character in The Princess and the Frog. I had my then 4 year old with me in the theatre and I remember thinking "bad mommy for assuming a Disney movie didn't need pre-screened." I caught me off guard. Disney movies have always had that dark edge to them but the non-villain death I was not prepared for. I'd say they broke their mold of movie formulas a while ago.

Spoiler
Ooo, I had completely forgotten about that one. I actually had to stop and think for a few minutes about which character it was which is horrible because I remember being shocked the first time I saw the movie. And I had also not thought about Mufasa from Lion King. I guess when I think Disney I think villains. Like you said, the non-villain deaths that happen on screen are surprising and I'm more used to their dark edge revolving around their villains.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 12:39:16 PM »
other than Hiccup and Toothless flying together, we don't see a lot of them building their relationship, which is what I loved about the first movie. :)
Spoiler
In the sequel, Hiccup and Toothless have been together for five years so I don't think there was anything left to build in their relationship.
They act as though they've been close brothers always. Each one has moments when he's big protective brother and moments when he's the little mischievous brother.

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal