collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has the rise of the Bronies been a bad thing for MLP?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: Has the rise of the Bronies been a bad thing for MLP?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:44 AM »
It's questions like these that I probably shouldn't reply to as I have a strong opinion, so I'll try to keep it simple and not in any way insulting.

I personally feel it has, sort of made it a bad thing, reasons? Well, it's been bringing a lot of bad press, but despite this, a lot of bronies like G4, preferable over G1, and as a G1 collector, I tend to avoid bronies as the fan base is a bit in your face, and sometimes a bit (dare I say it) uppity? Like they own the fandom, and that can make the older fans feel a bit pushed out.

However, despite this, it has also been positive in some ways, bringing new people into collecting, and a younger spectrum of people, so it can also be positive too.

With that, I'm on the fence, and whilst I don't actively talk with bronies, I don't mine them do much.

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
It's questions like these that I probably shouldn't reply to as I have a strong opinion, so I'll try to keep it simple and not in any way insulting.

I personally feel it has, sort of made it a bad thing, reasons? Well, it's been bringing a lot of bad press, but despite this, a lot of bronies like G4, preferable over G1, and as a G1 collector, I tend to avoid bronies as the fan base is a bit in your face, and sometimes a bit (dare I say it) uppity? Like they own the fandom, and that can make the older fans feel a bit pushed out.

However, despite this, it has also been positive in some ways, bringing new people into collecting, and a younger spectrum of people, so it can also be positive too.

With that, I'm on the fence, and whilst I don't actively talk with bronies, I don't mine them do much.

Honestly I am less on the fence and more "I've built a fence around me because I want to keep them out" lol. I think I'm more opinionated. I'm mainly a G3 collector and as you say, they are a bit uppity and they're especially rude about g3. Maybe thats a good thing! More for me I guess! You can always look at it that way.

Snix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »
No, i dont think that they have been a bad thing. However, like all the things on the world and specially on the net they (we, could say) have a lot of lights and a lot of shadows. Expect another thing is be an iluse. Personally, i think that they are much more attacked than they deserve, lot of people is paying for something that they haven´t to pay.

About their true effects in the franchise i think that we only are going to see it when G5 arrives.

And about the old gens bashing...people dont seem to percive than this awful actitude is significatively decreasing lately, i think because the bronidom is starting to be used to convive with a shows who at first was very strange to them. Jeez, even the other day Horse News, [edit],  published a small bit mocking at the extreme fans who attaks fans of another Gs.

Maybe with the time, we  could start to apreciate ones with anothers and ``reunificate´´ the MLP fandom.

[content edit ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:31:48 AM by hathorcat »

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 11:00:31 AM »
I can't say as I don't care at all about G4 and because of that all things brony usually brush past me without me noticing. I did react when I read about the G1.5 thing but besides that I don't notice them all that much.

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »
I think that at some point in the future, we'll all look back at things like merch that specifically says "brony" or "bronies" or "pegasister" and cringe (well, those that don't cringe already that is).
the brony thing has made MLP a bit of a fad. I think it's helping keep things afloat right now, but will fade eventually leaving just the collectors again and a lull with Hasbro before a G5 line comes out (*crosses fingers*)

I have personally interacted with positive and negative bronies.....AND positive and negative collectors, so that's not really a division line.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »
I just ignore it/them and distance myself as much as possible, so I don't feel they ruined anything really. But I think it'll be nice when it's not really a big thing (bronies) anymore.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »
I agree with Roogna about the cringing part!  :lol: I do believe it will pass.

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
I've grown up with ponies and didn't realise in the beginning that this was a girls-only toy as I knew other boys who were into them too, it saddened me when I first joined online MLP communities that many guys were ashamed of liking them and many female collectors were weirded out by it so for me personally it truly was a breath of fresh air to finally see so many boys openly following and collecting ponies, it's about time for this to become a gender neutral franchise.

That said, I can live without all the perversion and sexualization that some individuals have brought in, I also think the crazy cult-like behaviour is embarrassing but thankfully that's dying down already.

Snix

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 11:16:37 AM »
I've grown up with ponies and didn't realise in the beginning that this was a girls-only toy as I knew other boys who were into them too, it saddened me when I first joined online MLP communities that many guys were ashamed of liking them and many female collectors were weirded out by it so for me personally it truly was a breath of fresh air to finally see so many boys openly following and collecting ponies, it's about time for this to become a gender neutral franchise.

That said, I can live without all the perversion and sexualization that some individuals have brought in, I also think the crazy cult-like behaviour is embarrassing but thankfully that's dying down already.

+1000 to this. Know this feeling...Know this feeling very well.

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »

Just keep in mind that a lot of the more vocal ones are teenage guys. And that they're not known for their calm and rational discourse on things they like and dislike. I was the same way myself, but with cars instead of MLP. Just give them some time to mellow out.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
I'd rather not assume that bronydom is a fad. After all, it's lasted a lot longer than most people thought it would. :) We'll have to see when MLP undergoes the next big change, and that prospect is in itself exciting, what will happen with both the fan base and the franchise itself.

I think zombienixom is right on. I was the same way about anime when I was that age, but I mellowed out. I still love anime but I'm a much more reasonable fan now.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
As a G1 collector there is a style of person I can't get on with that happen to be bronies. Hate G1 because....I don't know? They have their reasons I don't understand. "An acquired taste" if you are under 20 for sure...but I had a really hard time getting on board with g4. Almost as long as it took for me to like g3. I still don't care for g2....I also don't call markings on butts cutie marks. I'm not a g4 girl.
I don't appreciate people who dis every gen that isn't the one they grew up with and proclaim how much more amazing their own is...I appreciate even less people who try to beat me out fir g1 ponies so they can mark them up and sell them for high dollars later. I have many g1 for sale. Most of which I got in lots or at garage sales and cleaned up and are trying to find new homes for.
I have some extra g4, g3 ponies as well that I'm doing similar with. I didn't but them intending to take them as they are and up the price by 500% and sell them to stupid collectors insert evil laughter here. I passed up ccg cards yesterday because I dint play or collect and would only be buying to resell...

Anyway, overall having more fans isn't a bad thing, having jerks represent that fan base or be there loudest voice of said fan base is not a good thing.
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Empress Celestia

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:11 AM »
As a Brony myself I'm just gonna say it, our fandom is WEIRD! I go to a meet up sometimes and while yes, I wear merch, these guys take it to a whole new level!
Maybe it's due to the fact that a large percentage of Bronies have Aspergers/Autism, and the guys there are very introverted,  so this fandom is their only chance to let their hair down!
There are Bronies who have created their own world within MLP and retreated into it, if that makes sense!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »
I wouldn't say they've influenced MLP, current pop trends such as chibi headed beasts, production cost benefits, (which is prob why we see so much of the same mold in G4, easier to produce rather then make new molds) and wanting everything to be slender and slim, (which has also happened to Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears) couple with snarky teen like attitudes have influenced MLP.  As for the Brony community, I don't know much about them, so I try to base my judgment on individuals and how they act online. And like every fandom we've got our range from artsy talented types who can make anything just WOW, to your everyday types, to trolls, to people that take Rule 34 to...strange places
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:02:26 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Pepinoreno

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
Without sounding too negative, I'm just going to say that from my personal experience the whole Brony phenomenon has changed MLP a lot and not always in the best way. I am a little annoyed that I can't search for images of MLP without some very disturbing images of FIM characters showing up. And yes I get that this isn't the fault of all Bronys but just a small subgroup of them. But unfortunately it still changes the way that most people look at people whom enjoy MLP. Whenever I used to tell people that I was a collector of MLP before it was always "oh cool, I still remember my childhood ponies" or something similar (and positive). Now if I tell someone that I collect its like "oh so you're a brony?" with an odd look. I think I have just had mostly negative experiences with bronys in real life. There have been times that I am wearing something G1 or talk about G1 and a 'brony'  will start talking about how disgusting G1 is and tell me to get out of "their fandom". Umm no I am sorry but if it wasn't for G1 there wouldn't be any FIM...just saying. Don't get me wrong I like the show and I have met a couple of bronys that were very sweet and respectful people, but unfortunately in my personal experience that is not the majority  :( But the way I look at it is I will be respectful and considerate to Bronys, I only ask for the same in return!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal