collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What started you collecting ponies again?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
Re: What started you collecting ponies again?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
For me it began the late summer of 2002. I was with mom at a mall shopping for my upcoming move from home and we passed the media center. In a huge bin was lots of childrens 80's/early 90's cartoons on VHS and I went through them and found two tapes of My Little Pony which followed me to the registers of pure nostalgia. Next time I was there I went through the same bin and found another one and when I visited my grandparents in another town I found a bin in a mall there as well with old cartoons and found three more. I wrote about it on my page on a community and a girl saw it and invited me to her mlp group which opened my eyes to the mlp-world. I took up my old herd and restored them. For two years I was all about the movies but early 2005 I caved in and began collecting the toys as well.

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »
FiM cartoon reminded me of how much I loved my ponies when I was a child. I found some of my childhood ponies on the attic, while I had to search online for some that I had lost. Then I added a few other ponies here and there and became a collector :)

Offline McKinley

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »
For me it was back in late 2003. I was 20, and the childhood nostalgia bug hit me hard. I was heavily collecting Breyers at the time, and I remember someone on a model horse bulletin board was bad-mouthing MLP collectors for some reason. The realization that MLP was something you could (re)collect made me go and research immediately. I rediscovered all the G1s thanks to Dream Valley, and of course was able to buy G3s right away since they were plentiful in stores. And so a 5-year obsession was born.  :P I haven't actively collected for quite awhile, but those were fun times.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:31:09 PM by NightSprite »

Offline Magdalen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
Ooooh what started it for me was the release of g3s.  Man I was so happy to see a MLP that looked somewhat similar to my beloved childhood G1s that I could buy in store.  Of course I didn't know about ebay to buy g1s before that.  I was an active collector until about 2007 (I started getting into collecting dolls and they kind of took over) and then g3.5 didn't really do anything for me.  I still want to get more G3 but I miss being able to go to stores and buy ponies.  I have a handful of G4s that I'll probably sell.  Don't care for the toys (which is a big thing for me to be able to collect) and I don't care for the show.  I tried watching it and I don't get the hype.  Oh well.

I had thought I would get back into collecting when I came back to the Arena, but the lack of interest in G4 and the dolls took over again I doubt I'll ever be that active in collecting again.  Unless G5 blows me away.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
I love your stories, guys! Great stuff.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
Pulling out my childhood ponies that I had packed away for years and saved for my 'future' daughters (who I did eventually have) to play with....

...and then realising that I still liked them too much  :P

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »
I love reading what you all have to say and why you came back :) 

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
Bought a house and found a box full of ponies in the attic. At first I sold a few but then I had my daughter and decided to start keeping them for her. But that didn't work out so well because I was hooked ;)

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
That would be when we were going trough the attic and found a huge bin full of ponies and pony stuff that is what got me started again.

Offline Eily311

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 02:02:54 AM »
I have always been a collector of numerous items as a child whether it was stickers, stamps, coins, toys and so forth. I did have a small collection of ponies as a child. Since 2008 I played this game on Facebook called pet society. In this game there were pony machines where u buy ponies and the outcome was just random.So ofcourse I started collecting a certain type of pony. I spent so much money on this game and then after playing the game for 5 years EA decided to shut down the game so it was just a matter of time,I believe they gave a 4 to 6 month notice. I was so sad and mad since i had spent all that money on my ponies. So on that day that I found out they were going to discontinue the game, I started remembering the good times I had as a child playing with ponies with my cousin. I then started searching for trolls, care bears and ponies. I made a promise not to buy any more pet society ponies so I started buy toy ponies and that way I'm getting my $ worth. I also started watching fim and got hooked!

These were just my favorite collection ponies.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:18:14 AM by Eily311 »

Instagram: Eily311MLP
Eily311 (personal page)

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
As a child I only have one G1: Tickle and 2 remcos. Unhappily my father in law through to garbage all my toys and my sister's ones when we were teens. I started collecting a few years ago I always though about Tickle and one day very suddenly I though "maybe I can find one on internet" :)And yes I found one and I discovered by the way all the others G1! I really falled in love  ;) and the rest is now history ...
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline MLPgal13

• Trade Count: (+123)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Thanks for my Avie Calico <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:29 AM »
For me it was the random stumble onto a new released G3 Rainbow dash in 2003. I remember the love I had for them as a child in the 80's. That triggered me "browse" Ebay for some vintage ponies that I remember and loved dearly. Bowtie, Glory and Medley to be specific. I shortly realized the total joy they brought to my heart and started slowly collecting from then. I have been lucky enough to supply most of my collecting needs through Craigs List and here at the Arena. This place has been nothing but helpful for any fan or collector out there <3

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »
I sold my collection when I got married but couldn't give them up fully, so I decided I would only collect those I could never get as a kid - the Mountain Boys, nirvanas, porcelains, etc.    When we bought our house I decided to collect fully again, since I have a whole room devoted to it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal