collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: *update b/a pics... What is the best way to clean/restore a G1 plushie?  (Read 983 times)

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
I have a few that need surface washes and I'm wondering how to do it safely. Can I get the whole body wet, or will it get dank in that dense body plush? Can I really only wipe with a wet rag? And the hair... I want to shampoo and condition an comb... is this okay? I also need to sew a tail back on (bad puppy!), what's the best way to do this?

Thanks for any insight!

Added 7/16:

I think she looks good! Machine wash in a pillow case, air dry, shampoo and conditioned mane and tail. Lots of the tail came out but it still looks pretty full. She's ready for display! Now to wash the others...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:59:52 AM by ponyqueen »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Re: What is the best way to clean/restore a G1 plushie?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »
Well, I tried a complete wash in the washing machine, BUT : the plushy we did it with was a really really bait one. It was soo stinky that I could not ever imagine letting my daughter play with it (it was hers, she got it from a friend), so I tried the washing machine and made sure if it was to be ruined Id throw it away. Well, it (a Moondancer) survived. The hair was a mess already when I did it, so I dont know what would have happened to nice hair. Moondancer gladly came out pretty nice, the fur was ruffled but she didnt lose anything concerning her shape, she still stands pretty good and so on. She though lost some more of her eye paint (which was already ruined anyways...).
I though would NOT recommend doing it with a nice plushy.

I think for a really nice one Id try a wet rag with some shampoo on it maybe. Stroke her gently with a soft brush (a baby brush for example) and dont rub or the fur will get messy. Washing the hair should be safe I guess :)
Good luck with your restauration!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »
I put my nasty ones in a pillowcase, put their hair in ponytail holders - along the mane and tail I placed one every few inches, and washed them in the machine on "gentle" with a bit of bleach.  They turned out fine, just needed lots of "air dry" in the dryer.  And then yes the hair needed conditioner and brushing but they turned out better.  The only trouble is that one's hoof-seams are coming undone so I need to mend her.  But that's because my child played with her, not because she didn't survive the washing machine.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »
As mentioned you can machine wash but you do need to take precautions. Popping them in a pillow case, braiding their hair and if you can find a bit of cotton to wrap around their eyes as well to prevent further scratching thats a good plan. Air dry them standing upright in their correct position. They have extra structure in their hooves [which is how they can stand so well] and sometimes if you are washing them you do run the risk of that distorting a little and them not being quite as rigid when they are all washed.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:26 AM »
Washed her! I didn't realize how purple she could be!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
You did a great job! Her after pic is such an improvement and the hair loss isn't noticeable at all. I found a Firefly plush at a flea market last year that COVERED in sticky orange gunk. A good scrub with dish soap and a run through through the washer made her good as new.

You could always try a straightening iron set on low to smooth out her hair frizz too. :)

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
If you don't want to machine wash, then you can spot clean with plain bar hand soap. I've used this and rubbing with a nail to get mould stains out of an expensive Japanese cushion (yeah...it got shunted against the window for an extended period of time whilst I was away and windows in winter = moisture and mould) when a white vinegar solution had failed. White vinegar is super for disinfecting and smell removal, though!

For fake hair, I've heard that diluted fabric conditioner is very effective, especially if the hair is left to soak in it for a while.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
She looks beautiful!!!!
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline Ledbyrd

• Extra glitter on mine please!
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Twinkle Eyed Nightlight
    • View Profile
She looks fantastic! Nice job!

Thanks to Nence for my siggy art!
My Wishlist
Currently searching for Ice Crystal

Offline hathorcat