collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dog owners, can you tell me...  (Read 539 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Dog owners, can you tell me...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »
I have an english shepherd, so very similar to a border collie fur-wise, and I use a slicker brush (mostly) and a furminator (sparingly).  But like was mentioned, easy on the furminator.  I tried the furminator on myself and it is NOT a pleasant experience if you are not gentle!  I also will just rub her briskly with my hands outside and let the fur fly  :lol:  I've never used a hound glove but I bet it would work well for that...might have to try one out!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »
Groomer here!
For a Border Collie I would normally use a combination of a slicker brush and greyhound comb for standard brushing and add in a furminator and zoom groom for a shedding dog. Furminators can be a bit pricey but they work very well. You just have to be careful not to press to hard or go over the same area too much because you can cause scratches on the skin or bald spots if you are too rough using it. Zoom grooms are great for shorter areas like around the head and lower parts of the legs and just general gentle removal of dead hair.
A greyhound comb?? Really?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

What do those look like?
Essentially just a metal comb with a fine and coarse end.
Like this
http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5148205_main_enh.jpg
I have no idea why they are called a greyhound comb (I think maybe an original brand name for the design?) as they are utterly useless for a greyhound coat  :lol:

What a cutie you have. Those ears! He/She looks comfy there  ^.^

Sarge says thanks. That was his inquiring mind picture. :o) Yeah, that definitely would not work well for his coat. LOL.
You might like this, he's even more adorable and is a total thread jacker when his radar is up (and scary reflective eyes on):

(can't tell this pic is 4 years old at all, old man)

Let me tell you, a combing for this guy does nothing. But give a cold then a hot day and he sheds like crazy!!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:26 AM »
I wondered about the greyhound comb too. My hounds don't really need brushing. The recommended grooming tool for a whippet is shammy cloth!  :lol:

I've heard people that have dogs that dislike grooming advocate those grooming mitts. :)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
I have a chow chow and I just use very basic metal combs with him. He has ridiculous amount of fur and I feel that I can't really get through it with any sort of brush.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »
I LOVE the furminator for my husky and bought it at a very good price on Amazon. For my greyhound I use my horse's curry comb with the rubber bristles. Love it! It's gentle and grabs all the dead hair!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »
my australian shepherd/adorable puppy mix (no clue what she is. we guess) does NOT like the furminator and it doesn't do a lot for her, either. the cat loves it though. It pulls out the undercoat but for the dog with her flatterish coat, doesn't work that great. so we just...well we don't brush her much and so i often find her hair everywhere along with mine and the cat. hmm. on second thought maybe that's not the best thing either...
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal