collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What to do when on vacation in California?  (Read 2379 times)

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
What to do when on vacation in California?
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »
Yep, the title pretty much says it all. I've done a very similar topic in the past but this trip is California only. This November/December I will be going to California for at least two weeks. So far the places I'll be visiting is San Francisco and Los Angeles, possibly San Diego if the money will last.

So, I need some suggestions on what to do in San Francisco/Los Angeles. Especially stuff that is free and don't cost a thing, or at least very little. I also like (LOVE!) going to the mall and would very much appreciate tips on shopping malls in the SF/LA area. But in general, stuff that is a must-see for a tourist. Below is a list of things/place I've decided so far on;

* Disneyland (LA)
* Universal Studios (LA)
* Hollywood Walk Of Fame (LA)
* Santa Monica Beach (LA)
* Golden Gate Bridge/Park (SF)
* Chinatown (SF)
* San Francisco Zoo (SF)
* Cable Cars (SF)
* San Diego Zoo (SD)
* SeaWorld (SD)

+ any suggestions on "typical" November/December things to do in California is greatly appreciated! Also, more on San Diego attractions please!  ^.^

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when on vacation in California?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »
If you're going to be in San Diego, I'd recommend Seaport Village. It's basically a big outdoor mall-type place. Lots of neat stores to look in and there are a couple good food places there as well. Great place for suveniers.

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »
There's a similar place near LA. I think it's called The Grove? It's an outdoor mall that also has a bunch of farm stand type stalls.

My family and I went to LA last summer. The walk of fame was cool, and of course the Chinese theater! There's the El Capitan across the street, which is where Disney premiers most of its movies. We also went to Santa Monica to see the pier, but it was kinda disappointing. So were the LaBrea tar pits, but I'm glad I can at least say I saw them. I think my favorite thing was the Griffith Observatory. They've filmed movie scenes there, and there's a good view of the Hollywood sign.

Disneyland is a definite yes! That was my favorite part of the trip.
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
In San Diego there's a Legoland that's pretty great. I highly recommend  going.  :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
Never been but I hope you'll share pics when you return!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »
If you're a meat eater, PLEASE eat a California burrito at Vallarta Express in San Diego. Mexican food in SD = better than pretty much anywhere in the US.

Exploratorium in San Francisco is also great and just remodeled. Also, the California Academy of Sciences.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »
If you love sea animals, you should visit the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach on your way to San Diego. <3 I haven't been there in years, but I loved it.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
In San Francisco - Alcatraz, California Science Center, and the docks.

Offline MandarinCupcake

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mandrixa - Etsy Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »
There is also Japantown in SF. It has an awesome mall :)

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
Most of what I know about LA is museum/history related. Even as a native I kinda forget what's around.

- Pony shopping for sure up top. Frank and Son Collectibles in the City of Industry runs a giant collectible flea market every Wednesday and Saturday. I only heard second hand that sometimes vendors will have ponies.
- For a bit of culture, LA has Chinatown, Olevera Street (Spanish district) and Little Tokyo, all are accessible by public transit easy.
- Exposition Park is basically LA museum central. Only one is free, the California Science Center. The Page Museum (La Brea Tarpits) and Natural History Museum are not.
- The Autry Center is a history museum of the West and located fairly close to the Los Angeles Zoo. $10 admission for the Autry, not sure what admission is to the zoo.
- For shopping in LA there's always Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Otherwise there's the Americana in Glendale (across the street from the Glendale Galleria.)

Duster reference]

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
I live in the Bay Area, and SF is gorgeous!  in addition to all that you can check out Lombard Street (but one of the cable car lines stops in front of, the line from Market Street to the Wharf, so you can kill a few birds with one stone, so-to-speak).  If you want a massive ice-cream sundae, then check out The Earthquake at Ghiradelli Square.

Fort Point is also neat to see.  It's free, and you can get some awesome photo ops with the Golden Gate Bridge and the bay.  Plus you go through the Presidio to get to it, so you can then check out some other things like the Walt Disney Museum and Crissy Field.  The Academy of Sciences, the de Young Museum, the conservatory of flowers, the Japanese Tea Garden, and even the buffaloes are all located in Golden Gate Park.  There's also Segway tours of the park, so you may want to look into that, depending on how much time you have to spend there.

If you want to see the famous street of Victorian Painted Ladies, then you need to head on over to Alamo Square Park.

Exploratorium is fabulous - it relocated to Pier 15 along the Embarcadero (which is the general area you'll be in if you decide to see Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, and go on out to Alcatraz - it's just a bit further south on Embarcadero).

If you do like to see art museums, the Legion of Honor is pretty cool.

Depending on if you are in SF more into December, there is a cable car bell-ringing contest between the cable car drivers.  That's located in Union Square (right where all the shopping is).  You may need to look up the date to see if it coincides with your trip.  Also there is a giant tree and menorah in Union Square, plus all the department store windows are decked out for the holidays, so that's kind of fun to see.

I was actually in San Diego just a few weeks ago!  I would say if you are going to see zoos, definitely see the San Diego Zoo over the San Francisco Zoo.  It's bigger and has more animals.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:54:48 PM by ashes »

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 12:44:03 AM »
If you're going to be in San Diego, I'd recommend Seaport Village. It's basically a big outdoor mall-type place. Lots of neat stores to look in and there are a couple good food places there as well. Great place for suveniers.
One of my absolute favorite things to do on vacation is to shop and of course collect typical vacation souvenirs! Thanks to for the tip; Seaport Vllage is now added to my official list! :)

There's a similar place near LA. I think it's called The Grove? It's an outdoor mall that also has a bunch of farm stand type stalls.

My family and I went to LA last summer. The walk of fame was cool, and of course the Chinese theater! There's the El Capitan across the street, which is where Disney premiers most of its movies. We also went to Santa Monica to see the pier, but it was kinda disappointing. So were the LaBrea tar pits, but I'm glad I can at least say I saw them. I think my favorite thing was the Griffith Observatory. They've filmed movie scenes there, and there's a good view of the Hollywood sign.

Disneyland is a definite yes! That was my favorite part of the trip.
I've been to Los Angeles once before (2008) but never visited The Grove so that's definteley on my list this time! :) Santa Monica Beach wasn't a disappointment for me last time but sadly most of my money had run out by then. Won't make that misstake this time around. ;) Added all your suggestions to my list.

If you're a meat eater, PLEASE eat a California burrito at Vallarta Express in San Diego. Mexican food in SD = better than pretty much anywhere in the US.

Exploratorium in San Francisco is also great and just remodeled. Also, the California Academy of Sciences.
I'm a lover of all food; especially meat! :p So that's going on my list, as well as the Exploratorium and California Academy of Sciences. Normally not big on museums and such but it's bigger and better American style! ;)

If you love sea animals, you should visit the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach on your way to San Diego. <3 I haven't been there in years, but I loved it.
My other favorite thing to do on summer vacation is to visit my favorite zoo here in Sweden (2hrs away from home) and my absolute favorite attraction to see is the dolphin show, so I'm a big sea animal fan! This is going on my list as well! ;)

In San Francisco - Alcatraz, California Science Center, and the docks.
I spent 3 months as a student in San Francisco in 2006 and visited places like Alcatraz but for some reason totally forgot to put that on my list in my first post. But it's thankfully on my official list in my vacation planning folder. Adding California Science Center to the list too! :)

There is also Japantown in SF. It has an awesome mall :)
Oh cool! :) I've been to Chinatown in SF but didn't know about Japantown so definitely going there this time; thanks for the tip! :)

- Pony shopping for sure up top. Frank and Son Collectibles in the City of Industry runs a giant collectible flea market every Wednesday and Saturday. I only heard second hand that sometimes vendors will have ponies.
- For a bit of culture, LA has Chinatown, Olevera Street (Spanish district) and Little Tokyo, all are accessible by public transit easy.
- Exposition Park is basically LA museum central. Only one is free, the California Science Center. The Page Museum (La Brea Tarpits) and Natural History Museum are not.
- The Autry Center is a history museum of the West and located fairly close to the Los Angeles Zoo. $10 admission for the Autry, not sure what admission is to the zoo.
- For shopping in LA there's always Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Otherwise there's the Americana in Glendale (across the street from the Glendale Galleria.)
Adding most of these to my list; hoping to have time/money for all of it! :)

I live in the Bay Area, and SF is gorgeous!  in addition to all that you can check out Lombard Street (but one of the cable car lines stops in front of, the line from Market Street to the Wharf, so you can kill a few birds with one stone, so-to-speak).  If you want a massive ice-cream sundae, then check out The Earthquake at Ghiradelli Square.

Fort Point is also neat to see.  It's free, and you can get some awesome photo ops with the Golden Gate Bridge and the bay.  Plus you go through the Presidio to get to it, so you can then check out some other things like the Walt Disney Museum and Crissy Field.  The Academy of Sciences, the de Young Museum, the conservatory of flowers, the Japanese Tea Garden, and even the buffaloes are all located in Golden Gate Park.  There's also Segway tours of the park, so you may want to look into that, depending on how much time you have to spend there.

If you want to see the famous street of Victorian Painted Ladies, then you need to head on over to Alamo Square Park.

Exploratorium is fabulous - it relocated to Pier 15 along the Embarcadero (which is the general area you'll be in if you decide to see Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, and go on out to Alcatraz - it's just a bit further south on Embarcadero).

If you do like to see art museums, the Legion of Honor is pretty cool.

Depending on if you are in SF more into December, there is a cable car bell-ringing contest between the cable car drivers.  That's located in Union Square (right where all the shopping is).  You may need to look up the date to see if it coincides with your trip.  Also there is a giant tree and menorah in Union Square, plus all the department store windows are decked out for the holidays, so that's kind of fun to see.

I was actually in San Diego just a few weeks ago!  I would say if you are going to see zoos, definitely see the San Diego Zoo over the San Francisco Zoo.  It's bigger and has more animals.
Wow! Thanks for all your suggestions; added the new ones to the list! :) Also, I want to ask you, is there such a thing as the Bay Street Mall? Back in 2006 when I spent 3 months in Berkeley/SF I used to go to this mall 1-2 times a week and spent of my money there. But when I Google it, I can't seem to find it. Have I mixed up the name? Can't quite remember the area either but pretty sure I didn't have to ride the BART to get there...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:49:15 AM by S.o.a.r. »

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
Highway 1....Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, San Luis Obispo, Santa Monica
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Thrice

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »
Sounds like you have a lot of great suggestions already!  I like Little Tokyo in LA, or you could visit the La Brea Tar Pits.  San Diego's got Balboa Park, which is reaaaally gorgeous.  I also recommend Aquarium of the Pacific (you can pet sting rays! <3).  And yes, Hwy 1.  Hit up the Santa Monica pier.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 01:27:45 AM »

I was just going to recommend our aquarium. We have penguins now as well! There is also an art museum that is free on Sundays. If your interested I can get the address of the museum for you :3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal