collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Geochaching, has anyone tried it?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: Geochaching, has anyone tried it?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Just once with my son for a scout thing. I would definitely do this when I go visit other countries. I should bring a bag of blind bag doubles with me ;)

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »
I tried it years and years ago with a borrowed GPS (before phones had them). It was fun. I can't remember what we put in it, but I still have the ladybug magnet that I took out of the first one we did. We didn't exchange other than the first one, but we always filled in the little log book. I can't wait to do this with my kids in a few years! So fun!

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
I haven't been caching in way too long. We kinda ran out of nearby caches to find, and my bf hates long bus trips.

I've found 60+ caches, but my absolute favorite was a micro called "Cone of Silence". The only clue given was "Something's not quite right..." Ground zero on my GPS led my bf and I to a little cluster of pine trees and he said "Great...it's probably hidden inside a pinecone that doesn't belong to this tree." Well, he was right. It took a few trips to that park to finally find it, and I laughed myself stupid once I finally did. Just above my head, hanging on a brass hook screwed into a branch, was a GIANT craft store pinecone. :haha:

I had my own hidden for a while, too! It was there for a good two years before it got muggled. If I ever find the perfect spot to hide a new one, I'm totally making a camo pony plushie for a first-to-find prize.
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
I've heard and read about this, but never really understood what it was. And it sound like a lot of fun since I love exploring. I believe there are people doing it in even in my area. Can someone who has tried it explain it to me, please :) Like what are the rules (if any) and what equipment do you need?

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »
I've heard and read about this, but never really understood what it was. And it sound like a lot of fun since I love exploring. I believe there are people doing it in even in my area. Can someone who has tried it explain it to me, please :) Like what are the rules (if any) and what equipment do you need?

It's super easy to get started...all you need is a GPS. (I'm sure there's a geocaching app for smartphones, but I don't have one so I do it the old fashioned way. :P) Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ to search for caches near you and enter the coordinates into your GPS. It'll lead you to where the cache is hidden, but actually finding it can still be a big challenge. There are some diabolical hiders out there!

Some caches are really small and only contain a logbook. Sign it to let the hider know that you found it! Bigger caches contain prizes. Take an item and leave an item of your own so there is always stuff to be found.

The real rules mostly apply to hiding caches. They can't be hidden in national parks, within I think 150 metres of bridges or railroad tracks, or within I think 300 metres of another cache. They can't contain stuff like weapons, tobacco products, food, or illegal substances. Caches also can't be buried. They can be covered with debris, but not buried.

Check out geocaching.com! It's a really fun hobby.
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »

It's super easy to get started...all you need is a GPS. (I'm sure there's a geocaching app for smartphones, but I don't have one so I do it the old fashioned way. :P) Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ to search for caches near you and enter the coordinates into your GPS. It'll lead you to where the cache is hidden, but actually finding it can still be a big challenge. There are some diabolical hiders out there!

Some caches are really small and only contain a logbook. Sign it to let the hider know that you found it! Bigger caches contain prizes. Take an item and leave an item of your own so there is always stuff to be found.

The real rules mostly apply to hiding caches. They can't be hidden in national parks, within I think 150 metres of bridges or railroad tracks, or within I think 300 metres of another cache. They can't contain stuff like weapons, tobacco products, food, or illegal substances. Caches also can't be buried. They can be covered with debris, but not buried.

Check out geocaching.com! It's a really fun hobby.

Wow, there are over 8000 caches in my area! :blink: I don't have a smartphone either, so I'll have to bring a friend with me. Can't wait :biggrin:

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »
I just downloaded the app because of this thread. It sounds like fun, and my sister and I are always looking for things to do over the summer.

It also reminds me of letterboxing. A bunch of the libraries in the county hid these boxes with logbooks in them, and you had to follow a series of clues in each library to find one. Each box had a stamp that you put in your book, and you stamped and signed the book in the box. It was tons of fun when we were in elementary school, and it was probably inspired by geocaching!
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »
Aw, the app won't work on 3GS :(

Anyhow, I'll still try to download the app... On my mother's tablet instead :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
I also just downloaded the app!  I've been wanting to try this for a few years now but never seem to get to it.  There are tons of cashes in my area!  I think I know what I'm doing next weekend:).

sunshine29102

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 07:11:36 PM »
OK, so I read this thread, thinking "this sounds interesting..." but figured nothing would come of it. I live in a small, rural town in South Carolina. So, I downloaded the app that y'all mentioned, and sure enough, there are at least 15+ sites/cache's around me, some VERY near to my home. 

I think I found another new hobby... :)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »
Me and my dad do these things already for like 10 years. :) He has a GPS and most of the time we look for one which is close to the places we stay on Holidays. We are going to the Black Forest (Germany) in less then a month and I hope we can find some.

One was really tricky to get. It was in a ruin in Germany in a dark room, you needed a flashlight. And the cache was somewhere in a really small hole in the dark which I had to crawl into. Thank god there weren't any spiders there. XD

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
my OH charmer has done about 150 but the person that got him in to it has done well over 1000 including some around vesuvius ! xaflame

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal