collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are broken G1 porcelains worth anything?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Jupiter

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Are broken G1 porcelains worth anything?
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
Just kinda wondering  if broken G1 porcelains have any value.   I've got a busted up Frolicking in the Sky. I can glue it together and It'll still look ok, but If I ever had to reduce my pony horde and sell it, would it be worth trying to sell?

The back piece broke off at the base, both ponies broke off, the pony sticking out of the clouds legs broke off, Pegasus Cherries non display side wing broke off and part of her NDS tail broke.

Are single porcelain ponies worth anything once they are broken?

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: Are broken G1 porcelains worth anything?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
I was kinda wondering the same thing.  I have a broken Wishing Well.  I thought maybe $10, since intact it would be worth $60+.

I think the rarer porcelains like these two we're talking about may be worth a little something, even broken.  Same for the uni and peg singletons, which are somewhat hard to find.  Probably not for the more common earth pony singletons and common 2-pony scenes.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »
I actually do collect porcelains and I WOULD buy broken ones. I would *not* want the seller to attempt to fix it as I'd want to do it myself. ;) I'd think around $10 would be a fair price for the harder to find pieces. But the price really comes down to what the buyer is willing to pay.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:42:31 AM »
I agree with spotted slug. Same boat here :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:12:23 AM »
I agree with Slug; there is still going to be a market for them. Often expensive items still sell even when damaged as the reduced price tag may be the only way some people can add them to their collection. I also will second that you are better selling them broken and allowing the new owner to fix them up, unless you are 100% certain your restoration will be perfect :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
I think broken is the only way I will ever be able to get a porcelain and even then I've never had any luck coming across them :( I adore them though so I guess it really depends on what people want

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »
I agree with letting the buyer fix. As a buyer, i would feel like the condition were more honest, even if the repairs were disclosed. But if you want to display it in your own collection for now, I think you should fix it if that will bring you more joy when you gaze upon it, and nevermind what it might be worth months or years from now.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »
I'd buy that for a dollar! (RoboCop)
Yeah, $10 sounds about right to me. I'm notoriously anal about gluing things back together, so though I'd sell one that I glued, i'd prefer to buy broken and put it back together myself. If you feel like selling soon, add me to the list! That's my favourite of the bunch :heart:

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
I would not buy a porcelain piece with any broken pieces. Maybe if it was drastically reduced in price. I'd rather wait it out and get a different one.

If I did, I wouldn't buy it if still broken, only if it was repaired pretty nicely with good quality pictures to show everything. No interest in fixing that stuff myself!

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
i still have a broken firefly i salvaged from a busted lot. and the missing leg wasnt even included... i havent had the heart to throw her away.  she still looks adorable on display
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:38 PM »
I actually do collect porcelains and I WOULD buy broken ones. I would *not* want the seller to attempt to fix it as I'd want to do it myself. ;) I'd think around $10 would be a fair price for the harder to find pieces. But the price really comes down to what the buyer is willing to pay.

This, 100%!  :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
I have a broken bowtie myself and got her super cheap. I'd also be interested in a broken one because they are getting crazy high for some reason.

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »
I agree that I'd rather let the buyer fix it herself, rather than risk having it damaged even more in shipping.

If anyone wants my broken Wishing Well for $10, please PM me.  It's the posts and rope that are broken in a few pieces; should display pretty well if glued carefully.  The big base, ponies, and well roof are all intact, if I remember correctly.  I can take pics for anyone who wants to see.  And this is one of the 3-pony scenes, so it's one of the biggest and most valuable (or it would be if it weren't broken).

Yeah, when I bought it, I even asked the Ebay seller to double-box it, and she agreed, but didn't follow through.  Such a waste.  Fortunately I got a full refund (AFTER I filed a claim) and found another for about the same price.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 01:46:34 AM »
I agree that I'd rather let the buyer fix it herself, rather than risk having it damaged even more in shipping.

If anyone wants my broken Wishing Well for $10, please PM me.  It's the posts and rope that are broken in a few pieces; should display pretty well if glued carefully.  The big base, ponies, and well roof are all intact, if I remember correctly.  I can take pics for anyone who wants to see.  And this is one of the 3-pony scenes, so it's one of the biggest and most valuable (or it would be if it weren't broken).

Yeah, when I bought it, I even asked the Ebay seller to double-box it, and she agreed, but didn't follow through.  Such a waste.  Fortunately I got a full refund (AFTER I filed a claim) and found another for about the same price.

Aren't you supposed to return when you get a full refund, though?

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:15:53 AM »
It wasn't worth the return shipping costs. Plus, the seller stopped responding.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:19:11 AM by kellyponyfeathers »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal