collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Not a problem, Just a question.. about my family history of haveing twins?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
So my BF is a twin and my grandmother on my moms side is a twin..so how high are my chances of haveing twins? I am very tiny and very tall, so is my grandma and grate grandma tall and thin like me. And my bf being a twin I know how it works, the woman is the one that desides twins not the male but even this is debated as 2 spearm hitting one egg, the woman can drop 2 that get fertalized. So with to many google serches I am left with wonder as to who or what to belive. So am I higher chance of twins or no?
:accomplished:

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
If twins run in your family, then yes you have higher chances for twins.  But if it's very isolated it could have been an abnormality in her only.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Identical twins are completely random. fraternal twins can run in families, but only on the mothers side, and only if they pass on the gene that causes them to release more than one egg during ovulation :biggrin:

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
I read an article the other day that said it's an old wives tale that twins "run" in families. So, according to that article, your chances of having twins would be the same regardless of any twin history in your families.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
i like the old wives tale. in my family on both sides (though tech my dad's doesn't count)
we have at least 2 to 5 sets of twins every other generation.
so several of my cousins have had twins. so i think it can raise the chances.
but i'm a "experience over facts" type of person.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
    • View Profile
I like the old wives tale too! LOL Twins apparently run in our family, ever other generation, which would make it my generation to have twins. So...If I ever have kids and it's twins, I'll let you know! :D

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
It may be an old wives tale but when there's 3+ generations of twins, it kind of suggests a pattern, haha! It may turn out like the old wives tale of chicken soup helping colds or something(turns out there's a lot of stuff in it that really *does* help, the garlic and herbs!), who knows?

Grandpa was a twin, his sister had twins, and her daughter had twins. Each pair was identical, too.  I know the odds of having twins aren't *that* good!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I'm not sure.  It's a fear of mine.  On my mother's side my great-great grandmother, my great grandmother, my grand mother, and my mother all carried twins of the same gender though it's hard to say if they were identical or not.  So I don't know, but to be fair they all had four or more children.  You tell me? lol
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:58:21 AM by elvenwine26 »
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
It's not an "old wives tale" -  fraternal (non-identical) twins can run in families- it is related to whether or not the women in your family have a predisposition to releasing more than one egg at a time.

They don't know why identical twins happen yet, so they can't say one way or another what makes this more likely.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
I am a twin and my grandma was one too, but her twin brother was still born, my aunt has twins as well, it seems to be every other generation in my family.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
I sapose it's all chance really. I do sapose that I am higher rist of twins but like anyone it's alwase possable no matter what. And my bf mom had 4 kids before her twins and when she had her twins she was in her 30's. My grate grandma first baby was twins. So it's completely possable for any woman that is able to have kids. So I deam this 'CHANCE' lol!  :lol:
:accomplished:

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Identical twins do not run in families. The tendency for non-identical twins depends on both environmental and genetic factors. You are more likely to have them if you have non-identical twins in the family, but also if you are an older mother, taller or have a higher BMI (source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18024802). So what type of twin your granny is, is important, and so are your own physical characteristics.  ;)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Twins run in my family  too. My gramma once told me it skips a generation. *shrugs* I dunno why or how.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
I am a twin and my grandma was one too, but her twin brother was still born, my aunt has twins as well, it seems to be every other generation in my family.

This!

If it runs in your family, its known to skip a generation <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal