collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you go by when collecting ponies?  (Read 527 times)

Offline RustyGusty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
What do you go by when collecting ponies?
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:02:55 AM »
My Little Pony is such a gigantic franchise to collect. I know I'll never have all ponies that were released, and that kinda makes me give up and concentrate on only a few certain sets of ponies.

How do you "big time collectors" think...
Do you have goal in the back of your mind to have them all? Or what are your preferences? All G1 ponies? All Euro ponies? All orange ponies? All unicorns? One from each set? Just a few here and there that you like? The ones you find at fleamarkets?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you go by when collecting ponies?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »
Do you have goal in the back of your mind to have them all? No, that will never happen; I'm a realist, LOL. There are thousands of different ponies out there. I hope to someday have all US store releases.
Or what are your preferences? At this point I'm only actively collecting G1's. I do have a few select G3's.
All Euro ponies? One can only hope, LOL. I take what I can get of them as they're a bit scarce in the US.
I'm not picky when it comes to G1's, I'll take what I can get (even if they're chewed and missing hair). Whether I find them locally or on the Arena. I do not buy on evilbay.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
I have a back of mind thought to collect them all, and I know I won't, which is kind of comforting to me. It means I can collect forever and never stop   :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »
My guidelines currently are:

-G4 only

Brushables: 1 of each character (so I have to choose 1 favorite version of characters that are released more than once. My only exceptions are Twilight Sparkle/Princess Twilight and particular prototypes.)

Mini Figures: same, 1 of each character (I'm still trying to decide my stance on non-pony characters like the manticore. Those are probably only going to be included on an "if I like them enough" basis.)

Fashion Style: 1 of each character, only if I feel it represents the character well. (i.e. I don't have FS Shining Armor, Princess Celestia or a Princess version of Twilight Sparkle because there isn't a version of those that I feel matches the character well enough.)

Funko Vinyls: 1 each of the solid color & sparkly clear ver. of the regular size vinyl figures. (If there are other production variants like red/green tie Dr. Hooves or RD's eye change I choose 1.)

-Everything is de-boxed except figures in the window box style packaging (Zecora, SDCC FS :muffin: Pony, etc.)

-I'm not allowed to buy any more merch. with the possible exception of stationary if I think I'll actually use it.

-I need to be able to display my ponies nicely in the shelves/space I currently have allotted for them. I only keep back cards that make good photo backdrops, a binder of collector cards, and a few accessories that I really want to keep stored away. If I start running out of space I need to downsize the collection.

I'm always revising my "rules". They aren't set in stone and I'm free to allow myself exception for things I really like and don't feel the need to buy things I don't just for completion's sake. I started out with regular size brushables only and slowly expanded into collecting a lot more figures and merch. I'm currently downsizing and focusing.  ;)

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
For me, G4 only! I focus on the hasbro play toys, funkos, and plushies. When im caught up I typically go for things like random merch- especially during 'pony droughts' like inbetween wave releases. I try to get the cards too, some merchandise I can wait on like regular funkos and BABW plushes.  On rare occasions I manage to collect all there is atm and go for things outside my country via ebay. I do my best to keep up with glitter variant funkos and the comic book issues.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:21:16 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:13 AM »
Well for me it was all US G1s and all Euro G1s with all their accessories. I am 3 or 4 accessories away from that goal...but they are just about impossible items to find so its going to be a long time yet before I complete everything :P

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »
Nice to read everyones ponypreferences. I like your thinking shimmlight, what a positive way to think about not being able to collect all ponies too easily. I feel inspired. :)

hathorcat, wow only 3 or 4 accessories away? Let us know which ones, maybe someone here can help. :)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
For me, I just collect what I can get my hands on - and if I don't like it, I move it on. That way I just have what makes me happy, with no restrictions. The only gen I don't like is G3.5, I've had most of them at some stage and just didn't like them, so I can conclusively say I don't collect them, but other than that, I've got some of pretty much everything. And I'm a merch addict too - I just love 'stuff'!

In the end, my collection grows as I do, as my interests change, I collect different ponies, and then pad it out when I get the chance - for instance for my birthday I wanted at least on of each gen I collect, so I got some upgrades (which is what I'm working on right now), and added some extra new ponies in from the same sellers, like Baby Explorer, Brights Brightly and DJ P0n3.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Gloomygirl777

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »
Right now I am collecting Funko vinyls and Big Brothers or pretty much any boy pony. I only get the Funkos I really like though....I don't collect them all. Although I will take any pony that's a glitter. I just recently started collecting the Big Brothers. At the moment I have only gotten boys of the earlier generations so we shall see if I will be swayed into collecting all different kinds of ponies...... I guess I am sexist :lol:

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 08:22:30 PM »
I just pick up the ponies that I like, and leave the ones I don't. I collect every generation but 3.5. I love accessories. I'm also a merch hound, but I'm trying to limit that more towards vintage, mostly to avoid getting into the "I have to have everything" vibe with G4 merch. We went so long in Canada in the G3 era with practically no merch that I feel spoiled now. 

My most recent obsession has become G1 original ribbons.

Elf

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
I only collect G1s, but have a couple of G3s that came in lots, and 1 G2 that was a freebie with an auction win. I just started collecting last year, so the past year has mainly just been buying cheap ponies that were in decent shape. I'd LIKE to have every pony, but know that's probably not a realistic goal. Every so often, I find that I'm only one or two ponies away from having a set, so then I concentrate on trying to complete that set.

I'm also into collecting customs, but don't have anything particular in mind - just buy the customs that appeal to me (and that I can afford!). bluemoondreams is about to have an entire shelf devoted just to the customs of hers that I own!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
I collect all gens but G1 and G3 are the biggest part of my collection. G2s are hard to come by in the US and G4s I am not spending tons of money on as they really aren't as appealing to me. I really just collect what I can find. I don't do Ebay and I'm not spending tons of money getting any rare ponies. If I'm lucky I can find the expensive ones at a thrift store. That's how I got Mimic and Twinkle Hope. I'm hoping to get a good 90% of the G3s and about that of g1's.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 02:14:37 AM »
Nice to read everyones ponypreferences. I like your thinking shimmlight, what a positive way to think about not being able to collect all ponies too easily. I feel inspired. :)

hathorcat, wow only 3 or 4 accessories away? Let us know which ones, maybe someone here can help. :)

Awww...thats lovely thank you. I have come to the conclusion only a handful of each exist :P I need the chain for MO Sweet Scoops charm [not the charm itself just the actual bright pink thread chain], the white squeezy bottle for the MO baby and the yellow playpen for the MO baby. There is something else but I cant think of what it is...I was sure it was 4 things. *shakes fist at sky* One day they will be mine MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »
Well to me, any g1 is a good g1! I do not care what shape they are in, I will buy a lot without getting too obsessive about condition with the seller. If I do not think it is in good shape for my particular interests then I re-home them or if they are bait I may use them for customs.

I know dreamily that I could hope for all g1s ever, but that is probably not going to happen. :)

Otherwise I was also collecting g3 but recently had to sell a lot of them. I kept a select few, like my MIB birthflowers and Diva Tink a Too.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »
Seems like a few of you really want them all. I have no idea how hard that has been for you so far. But hathorcats wishlist doesn't sound impossible.

HavACrumpet452, no ebay for you? My first thought is that you can't have alot of ponies in your collection, and you even registered here over a year later than me. But perhaps you can find pretty much anything at this forum.

elish2, I know what it's like having to sell ponies you really want to keep. Sold all of my G3 a while ago. It really hurts when you get down to the G1:s.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal