collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are you a collector with kids?  (Read 792 times)

Offline mlpgirly

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Are you a collector with kids?
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
I just started actively collecting after taking a break after my first child was born. I have started buying ponies again, but it feels a little different now that I have kids (2nd born 3 months ago). I wonder if it's just me or if it's normal. I sometimes wonder if I should not have spent the money on them...like I have other things I could buy for my kids instead.  My kids though don't need anything, so there isn't really anything I need to get them. I guess I'm dealing with being an adult with real responsibilities. I just wonder how others handle this???
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a collector with kids?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
Same feelings here...all the time...I have two daughters though and I give them a bunch of MLP stuff too, so it is like we are collecting together. I have my collection and they have their ponies. :)

I also see my collection as something that may gain in value over time, and I can always sell if I need to make some money. In fact I had to just do so with all my MIB g3s including my rare fair ponies to help fix the house. So I guess it helps when looking at it from that perspective.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
I feel like that time to time when I buy myself a few ponies. I have to say that we all think that way one time or another.

I do get my daughter new ponies a few times a year. But I don't want to get them all for her otherwise I would not have anything to get her for Christmas. And she is 10 and already has over 100 ponies. I know when I was her age I had about 13 ponies.  I try to limit what she gets cause I don't want her growing up thinking that she should have everything that she wants.  With your being so little they do not know any different. And to tell you the truth kids do not need a lot of things to be happy. If they have the love of there mom and dad or an adult that is way more worth it.

My biggest thing thought that hits me when I spend a lot of ponies at once is....... I could of bought something for the house or I could of put that in savings. But I am already putting in savings and what is the point I . We all need a little something new once in a while. :)

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
Exactly the same feelings.  ;)
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »
I hear your concern  :)  And I think that way sometimes, too. Sometimes I will happily spend 'x' amount on some ponies, but then grumble about upcoming school expenses (I know which expense will be more fun, lol!).

There's obviously a need to prioritize, but at the same time you need to allow yourself a little self indulgence too (within reason)  ;)   I'm a careful/thrifty spender at the best of times, and I justify my pony habit in that I don't spend on other (for want of a better word) unnecessary things, or at least spend in lieu of. Some people spend 'x' amount on their nails or their coffee fixes. My vice is the occasional pony  ;)   And I do my best to fund myself, so I might use $$ from art commissions or profits from selling off pony extras to fund my next pony spend.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
Once needs/important expenses/saving a little are covered don't feel guilt over a budgeted indulgence. I don't know if this is a more local phenomenon, but I've noticed it with some of my mom friends on FB or in social setting, sometimes other moms will subtly try and one up, or hurt their friend, a lot of that  is the implication "oh, I NEVER do anything I enjoy anymore, because my kids come FIRST" game trying to paint another mom and less loving and more selfish. If you've heard or felt that, Don't fall for it! everyone needs their own outlet and identity, it's more then ok, it's good for both you and your kids. :)

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
My daughter helped rekindle my love of ponies!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
for us it's a family hobby.  my youngest is 7 but my 10 yo dd is also quite into MLP too.  so I haven't ever thought I should've been buying them something else, at least not yet.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:39:22 PM »
I have boys but I share my ponies with my nieces :) they love to come play at my house :D

And no, I don't feel guilty. My kids are spoiled  -_- they are the first grandkids on my side of the family and still the only grandkids on my husband's side. I wish they had LESS stuff.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
I have a 13 month old and I know just how you feel!  I felt like that a lot when he was younger, but now it doesn't bother me.  My son has everything he needs and a lot of toys of his own.  He enjoys my ponies and I enjoy letting him play with them.  I feel like I get more for my money now that there are TWO people enjoying my ponies!  ;)

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
I do not have any regrets about buying anything pony related or ponies to go into my collection. as long as the bills are paid, i do not have debts and there is money going into my sons school fund and my retirement fund etc.... then i am ok with spending money on ponies.

i have a 5 year old son, he loves ponies to :) and i know one day the collection will go to him or be used for something extremely important for him in the far future

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
I always feel a pang of guilt when I buy something for myself pony-related or not. But  we all have a small "alowence" of $20-25 each  per pay to spend on ourselves for fun.

svetilda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
I have 2 kids : a girl and a boy. I don't feel guilty to my kids because they need nothing, they have more then any kid may need. But I feel guilty to DH because I don't work and spend his income on toys. We could spend this money on vacations, home renovation or something... but I can't stop myself. I was always like this and before ponies it was orchids, Lush, perfume oils, mineral cosmetics, lipstics, etc. At least with ponies my kids enjoy them with me.

Offline mlpgirly

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
Thank you all for your honesty. Maybe I will feel more comfortable as I continue and it's not so new anymore. I think I over did it last month because I had been out if collecting for three years, so I was making up for it. LOL I figure after the fair I'll slow it down.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
I dont even have kids but I will say that most of us here are grown ups with worries, responsibilities and, perhaps, sometimes other things we feel as though we should be spending our money on. However, as long as actual needs are taken care of, as long as it doesnt cause us any real life issues, then its perfectly acceptable to spend a little of what you can afford on yourself. You have to enjoy life :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal