collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Will MLP survive the next few years in it's current form?  (Read 3596 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Will MLP survive the next few years in it's current form?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 03:35:37 AM »
I will never understand where this "MLP is Hasbro's only fanchise that makes them money" came from.

Certain people/websites/forums/news blogs not understanding basic economics or how to read a business analysis and then leading with a couple of misleading sentences. It snow balls from there with this belief that MLP is supposedly saving Hasbro - rather than the fact boys lines continue [even with negative growth] to OUT SELL the girls lines. The whole thing really irritates me. :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 06:04:05 AM »
And bring back the G1 shapes, or G3 with alot more pegasuses and unicorns and why not flutter ponies and sea ponies?

The new design of the G4 line goes along with the redesign of other franchises. Look at Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, (the short-lived) Rainbow Bright. This more "anime-like" design is popular.

I like the design of G4 personally, but I'm a fan of "kawaii culture." Of course, I Loooove G1s design too (not so much g3 and g2).

Offline RustyGusty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
brittney_rochelle, I don't remember seeing anything like that for those other lines you mentioned, I must update myself on that. I've liked anime since the 80's, but I don't see why MLP has to turn anime. I guess it could be done successfully though.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
brittney_rochelle, I don't remember seeing anything like that for those other lines you mentioned, I must update myself on that. I've liked anime since the 80's, but I don't see why MLP has to turn anime. I guess it could be done successfully though.
Here's an example. I'm not saying its a conversion to anime, but influenced, design wise. It's more appealing, as I was told by a 10 year old haha.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 05:13:39 AM »
Here's an example. I'm not saying its a conversion to anime, but influenced, design wise. It's more appealing, as I was told by a 10 year old haha.

Kids are crazy! The original one is still the cutest! *biased*
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 06:36:51 AM »

This image makes me really sad. Why are they people now? Strawberry was so cute as a doll. I think kids just like the current one best because they grow up with it. People who grew up in the 80s will still prefer the original Strawberry, I'm sure.
Personally, I think it's a problem that everything for girls gets streamlined to look the same. Polly Pocket, Dora the Explorer, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite - they all look like normal people with slightly larger heads and tiny, thin bodies. I get that everyone likes a babyface, but they really don't have to look so boring and thin.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 07:10:17 AM »

This image makes me really sad. Why are they people now? Strawberry was so cute as a doll. I think kids just like the current one best because they grow up with it. People who grew up in the 80s will still prefer the original Strawberry, I'm sure.
Personally, I think it's a problem that everything for girls gets streamlined to look the same. Polly Pocket, Dora the Explorer, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite - they all look like normal people with slightly larger heads and tiny, thin bodies. I get that everyone likes a babyface, but they really don't have to look so boring and thin.

It's along the same reason as to why retailers think girls like the color pink so much.
Dora's design changed too. I get that she grew up and aged in this transition to(I am assuming) 10 year old. There wasn't a need for the prettier more girly face.

Rainbow Bright changed like this too. It was to make her more appealing to a new audience. Mind, it went absolutely nowhere. I think it follows an idea that you are hitting on, Zapper. Are girls being, basically, brainwashed into this "thin and pretty" thing? Or are the characters simply "aging?" I dunno.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:14:03 AM by brittney_rochelle »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 08:29:37 AM »

It's along the same reason as to why retailers think girls like the color pink so much.
Dora's design changed too. I get that she grew up and aged in this transition to(I am assuming) 10 year old. There wasn't a need for the prettier more girly face.

Rainbow Bright changed like this too. It was to make her more appealing to a new audience. Mind, it went absolutely nowhere. I think it follows an idea that you are hitting on, Zapper. Are girls being, basically, brainwashed into this "thin and pretty" thing? Or are the characters simply "aging?" I dunno.

Well at least with Rainbow Brite they were trying to make her more like Sailor Moon. It might have even caught on if they had a decent tv series to go with it instead of just releasing the dolls right after Christmas with very little fanfare.

The new Dora never really caught on. I really just think they are mimicking whatever is currently popular. The toy industry as a whole isn't doing spectacular thanks to ipads and video games so they want to take as few risks as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »
Oh wow! I had no idea Rainbow Bright had a newish style!  My mother is also so saddened with the new Strawberry Shortcake gens, she has been a fan since it very first came out!

I think MLP G4 right now will go on for a very long time, maybe the show will end far sooner than the toyline. As much as I love it, I really wish G4 would end already. The show is great but the writers seem to be loosing their touch imo and theres so many questions about so many characters I feel wont ever be answered in the show. As a collector, I want all of the merchandise but I cant keep up and want to move on to finishing my httyd, MH, manga, anime figure, and disney doll collections. Its stressful for me to admit  theres not as many new characters as I expected to come out, just rereleases of the mane 6 and princesses. I feel like its similar to the EQG dolls, tons of the mane 6 characters but with different outfits and we are now starting to see new characters. I dont think EQG will last much longer. I will admit im slowly loosing interest in the toyline which saddens me. Funko however seems to be living up to mlp with a variety of characters. I used to have so much fun hunting down ponies and I have a huge collection of g4. I dont want to give up collecting but it feels like a chore sometimes ever since mlp exploded after the past 4 years. I  dont know if my wallet can survive 5 more years of the toyline LOL!!!! I think Hasbro is making a lot of money and getting alot of attention from G4 for it to end anytime soon.

Does anyone sort of feel the same as me?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:11:42 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
Does anyone sort of feel the same as me?

I get what you are saying.
Overall I'm actually kinda indifferent, myself. If they keep making ponies I like I'll buy them. If they go completely Core 7 style, stop making anything that interests me, or end the line I'll stop collecting. It seems a little weird to say it, it's not like I'm starting to dislike my ponies or anything (I love my ponies!) and there are a few particular ones I'd really want to see made still, but I wouldn't be upset if G4 ended. I've never wanted floods of ponies to collect though. I think I'd get overwhelmed if there were tons of new characters coming out all the time. I can be content with getting a handful of new characters a year.
I don't think collecting should seem like a chore. If you're feeling overwhelmed by trying to keep up with releases and also not happy with what is being made why keep buying?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
All of the images unfortunately just show what naturally happens over time - its not brain washing or marketing forcing something on culture. Its just that styles/technology/taste/perceptions change as time passes - what was visually appealing 10 years ago may no longer be; as a society we change. Try going to your office with shoulder pads in your suit or out partying with crimped hair and day glo bangles...you wont fit with the current taste, toys are no different their designs just adapt. In another 20 or 30 years, any of these toy lines which are still about will look as different from G4 as G1 does right now.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Taxandria

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
I read somewhere that Hasbro ordered something like 5 more years of the MLP FiM TV show. I don't know how that will translate to the toys but I agree with the general consensus that churning out the same ponies with extremely minor variables is not ideal. The masquerade ponies were really just the same ponies with cardboard masks. I was really disappointed in those. The wave 10 BB's are covered in glitter (I actually have a set of glitters just like those from the craft store and could have made these myself.)

I really want to see things expand. They need proper playsets to give kids something to do with the figures. My daughter and I use cardboard boxes sometimes to construct "stables" and a barn etc. The Applejack barn that Hasbro made was soooooo tiny. It's really just a facade rather than an actual playhouse. I am wanting some kind of awesome playhouse where all the ponies can be displayed and played with.  More locations from the show to create a proper Ponyville and Equestria.

The app game to me personally is a dismal failure because you can not do anything without spending money on it. I'd rather just buy a game and play it than be milked every moment to get rid of sprites etc.

Hasbro's stock price has gone down 3 or 4 dollars in the past month or two but stocks tend to move around.

I don't know if MLP will be going anywhere anytime soon but I agree that if they allow it to become stagnant and just keep packaging up the same characters with minor differences people are going to become bored and poor (there's only so many Twilight Sparkle's I need to buy!)

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
All of the images unfortunately just show what naturally happens over time - its not brain washing or marketing forcing something on culture. Its just that styles/technology/taste/perceptions change as time passes - what was visually appealing 10 years ago may no longer be; as a society we change.

I agree. Has anyone else ever looked at antique toys (especially "uncanny valley" things like marrionettes and demonic dolls) and wondered, "How could kids have ever wanted to play with these things? We're they trying to use these toys to scare children?"  XD  Things just change.

Personally, I predict the show will stay in its current for for a pretty long time. I know some of you guys think the brony fad is fading, and it might be a little, but let's not forget that the show is incredibly popular with children, too.  The toyline, however... eh, it wouldn't surprise me if the toyline got some kind of revamp in a few years.
I'll put something here some time

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
The reason why there was no financial gain in Q1 is because there isn't any new stock to distribute. Totally normal in the North American retail stores.   

In Q1 Warehouses are moving out the last bits of product  that they ordered in Q2 last year.  At the very beginning of Q2, they puuuuuuush spring/Summer products out into stores, order for Q4, and receive the order that was placed in Q4 the year before.  Q3 is when they sell the spring/summer, distribute the autumn stuff, and wait for the GIIIIIIIIIANT Q4 order.  Q4=$$$$ Q1: Back to cleaning the warehouses out. 

Besides, most Hasbro toylines last about 5-6 years.  It's not really surprising news that the MLP line has gone stagnant until all their new stuff comes out.  And their new stuff will resemble "an affordable alternative" to the hottest rival toy. That is how Hasbro started as a company in the 1920's, it's how they will always survive. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 10:43:56 PM »
G3's went for a good long time. MLP FiM Only came into the picture around what was it, 2009, 2010ish? I think if anything it's going to continue for a good long time, and I hope they release an awesome Discord figure by the time it's done. I love Discord ;-;

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal