collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FOOOOOOOOOD!  (Read 1192 times)

SparklersOasis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: FOOOOOOOOOD!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
Nothing brings back memories of my g'ma than the smell of frying chicken!  When she taught me her 'recipe' (and I use the term loosely)  she wanted to show me how to cook it from scratch.  IE - catch the chicken, kill the chicken, clean the chicken, etc, etc.  Luckily or sadly (to this day I'm not sure which) she was unable to find a neighbor to sell her a chicken so she had to settle for teaching me how to take apart a whole chicken!  But to make it a true G'ma style meal, you have to have your fried chicken with sauerkraut and gravy, and a piece of bread and butter with a slice of onion on top!  Mmmmm

That or her chicken and noodles (made from scratch of course!) using an ancient pressure cooker I think was recalled in the 70's.  And yes, I still have the pressure cooker and still use it, my husband is convinced it's going to go through the roof ones of these days...

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 10:55:50 PM »
One of my favorite food is fish and chips. In general I love trying new food at least once. So long as it doesn't have anything I'm allergic to in it.

And the list of food I love to eat is long and varies. I started learning to cook when I was six years old. My Mom taught me well and I learned to do things from scratch. No "open a can...". Though in a pinch I will do that if needed.

One of my treasured memories is similar to Sparkleroasis. Except my Mom was able to dispatch (with care and respect) one of my godparents chickens. For our dinner. I was ten years old and learned how to catch,kill,pluck,dress, and fry a chicken.

Nothing beats hand sliced bacon. My godparents would raise a pig each year and my family would share the cost. Of keeping it and rendering it when the time came. Our portion was enough to fill our freezer for half the year. Bacon, chops,ribs.

Steak is another of my favorites. Just this side of cooked, a bit bloody doesn't phase me. Served with a huge baked potato (loaded of course).

Keep the stories coming.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
Not sure I can help you out, since im pretty much on an even more restricted then fodmap diet at the moment.

I do love green tea mixed into things though.  If he can have it, greentea cake or icecream.  If not, its easy enough to get the powder to make it with ingrediants he can have :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
Another foodie here!
I try to eat natural foods as much as possible (no preservatives, artificial flavors/colors, corn syrup, etc.) Things like corned beef & cabbage, sausages & mash w/ peas, tilapia with salad, steak & asparagus, shrimp with homemade salsa & corn chips, pork w/ sweet potato & apple sauce, are some favorite meals in my house. My husband has been making this grilled chicken, brown rice & lima bean thing recently which is quite good.
I like caprese salad with olive bread, fruit & brie w/ baguette, cheddar & branston pickle on saltines (often with Heinz beans in tomato sauce).
I eat a lot of fruit and veggies as snacks. Bananas, apples, oranges, carrots & snap peas are probably my most common ones. I like melon, cherries, grapes, peaches, etc. when they are in season.
I love me some deli sandwiches. I also love street tacos (and really anything I can squeeze lime over) and I have several favorite Thai, Vietnamese, Moroccan, and Japanese dishes I enjoy when we eat out at restaurants. Of course there is the occasional pizza or burger thrown in there.
Now that it's getting warmer we've been having frozen fruit smoothies in place of meals many days.

My breakfasts are usually things like eggs (usually either scrambled w/ grilled mushrooms, fried with salsa on top, or over easy with grilled potatoes), oatmeal with dried cranberries, or whole wheat toast with preserves.

I only drink water, 100% juice & herbal tea, (oh and various forms of alcohol but I won't ramble on about that. ;) )

I don't have much in the way of recipes as my husband is the one who does most of the cooking. I do bake though sometimes but it's usually by scratch. The last thing I made was peanut butter, banana, oatmeal, craisin cookies.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:33:48 PM by 3377345 »

He-Man

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10:55 PM »
Best breakfast: Veggie omelette, or veggie quiche
Best lunch: Buffalo wings, or pizza, or maybe both :D
Best dinner: Spaghetti

I am also very addicted to ice cream, although I'm trying to work up the willpower to lighten up, because too much junk food makes me feel bleh.

SparklersOasis

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »
Growing up, my dad co-owned a family run hog farm, so we ate pork like it was going out of style.  Pork burgers, pork chops, pork ribs, baby back ribs, bacon, etc etc etc

Surprisingly, I had never tried fish until I got to college and beef was only something we ate if we were over at my friend's house (they raised angus cattle)!  I love to cook when I have the time and money, and I love trying new things.  Except calamari.  Tried it once, bleck!  But otherwise I'm generally an 'omnomnomnivore'

If you don't know what I mean ~~>  Omnomnomnivore

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »
I'm realizing, reading these posts, that SO MUCH is linked to food...memories of family and friends, situations and experiences...maybe it isn't the food I'm missing so much as new stuff! When I was a young'un I had all kinds of new things happening. Now I'm pushing 40 and everything is so very....meh.
I need me a gran'ma to teach me to kill n' grill a chicken. *sigh*
One of my most fond memories of my mom when I was a child was her buying eggs. She'd always open the container and run her fingers over them, checking to make sure none were broken or cracked. Her hands were always so graceful and they still are now...I inherited my father's thickish digits and always envied hers. She made chicken with paprika that NOONE could top! What is it about chicken?

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
All of the above basically.

I got mange tout, spring onions and lettuce from the allotment today. For supper I had some leftover chicken casserole with steamed mange tout folllowed by a salad with parmesan shavings and a dressing of balsamic vinegar and garlic infused olive oil. Dessert was sponge cake with apricots  made by a friend for my birthday with a dollop of marscapone. I am so a food person. "Creamy creamy frosting..."
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
Just about anything from the East.  Sushi, noodles, seafood, etc.  Italian food is my go-to food most of the time.  As of late I've been favoring pesto pasta salad.  Tri-color rotini pasta with a tablespoon of basil pesto sauce and halved cherry tomatoes mixed in.  I want to try adding chicken to it at some point.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
All the food. Tapas especially. Guacamole. Street tacos. Anything with "ancho chile sauce," spinach dip, meats soaked in balsamic vinegar, grilled cheese with bbq chips (tomandchee.com), and more. 

Constantly trying new recipes in my house! 
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
Last night my husband invited a coworker over for dinner and I made grilled Jerk chicken with a mango/ cilantro salsa and asparagus. (I also made a dairy free corn bread that was very dry but he ate two helpings!)

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
My specialty dish is Thai red curry- it's so hot, not for the faint of heart who can't handle spicy!
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 11:55:51 PM »
One word, bacon.

:lol: :lol:  Totally!

I do likes me a bit of french toast as a treat now and then... with banana, bacon and maple syrup...  :lookround:

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 06:01:09 AM »
I love experimenting with vegetables and fish as they go with pretty much anything, although my favourite uses for them so far have been in Mexican and Indian dishes.
When I'm a bit too tired to go to all the effort of cooking something major, then my go-to dish is spicy couscous with raisins, dried cranberries, raw cashews, almonds and seeds mixed in; it's simple but it's very delicious! :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »
I love experimenting with vegetables and fish as they go with pretty much anything, although my favourite uses for them so far have been in Mexican and Indian dishes.
When I'm a bit too tired to go to all the effort of cooking something major, then my go-to dish is spicy couscous with raisins, dried cranberries, raw cashews, almonds and seeds mixed in; it's simple but it's very delicious! :)

Hi hi! I see you're in the UK. This sounds super healthy and nutritious. I was in Macclesfield this time last year also went to a great wholefoods place on the edge of Manchester and stocked up on vegan food for camping since it stays fresh so well. Spent a day in Buxton too, very good farmers market! Had to get some very non vegan pork pies with  chutney on top and pints of ale to go with.  Noms!! We did lots of walking too around the reservoirs, nice area :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal